logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 2008 Star Wars Miniatures Championship?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

So does this mean that GenCon isn't the championship game? Just curious

The 2008 Star Wars Miniatures Championship will be held at Penny Arcade Expo, open to all players and offering exclusive hand-painted miniatures as prizes!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=st ... 2008champs

Tournament Date/Location:
Saturday, August 30th, 2008

Penny Arcade Expo
Washington State Convention & Trade Center
800 Convention Place
Seattle, WA 98101-2350

Entry Price: Entry price for the tournament is $10 USD.

Eligibility:
All players in good standing with the DCI are eligible to compete in the event.
Tournament Format:
150-point Constructed
Tournament Length:
Swiss rounds (number of rounds based on attendance) - 60 minutes per round
Advancement:
All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.
The top 8 players after the final Swiss round will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals
Top 8:
Top 8 matches will have a 60-minute time limit
Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings
Prizes:
1st – 4th place all receive an exclusive hand-painted Star Wars miniature (some from a future unreleased set!) as a trophy
1st place receives a complete set of the Knights of the Old Republic expansion
Miniature and RPG product will be awarded to the top 8
Notes:
Players provide maps for the tournament; maps should be selected as per the Star Wars Miniatures Floor Rules
Only 150-point format maps are legal
All matches use the Gambit format

Post subject: Re: 2008 Star Wars Miniatures Championship?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:46 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

IIRC, GenCon is officially the "Masters". PAX got the "Championship", yet most people just consider GenCon to be the real Championship. Thought is there will be abouth 100 players at GenCon whereas PAX will be lucky to get 30 or so (I'm not predicting either cause I've never been to them)...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Pastimes was told by WotC it is not allowed to call any of its events a "Championship." Take that as you will.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:35 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

okay now that it's official. I'll say this.

This is a fairly petty way for Wizards/LFL to get back at Gencon for the unintentional fiasco that resulted from last years gencons. Non of which is the SWM players fault. So why the hell are WE the players the one's being snookered?

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fox wrote:
okay now that it's official. I'll say this.

This is a fairly petty way for Wizards/LFL to get back at Gencon for the unintentional fiasco that resulted from last years gencons. Non of which is the SWM players fault. So why the hell are WE the players the one's being snookered?

Guys, I really don't think they are trying to "get back" at GenCon. I mean, you all know I am as angry about this as the rest of you, probably more so because Moses is a personal friend of mine and I have a lot of respect for Alan Hochman and the commitment he has made to the gaming community.

But if they wanted to get back at GenCon they wouldn't be a co-sponsor of the freaking show, and they wouldn't be holding ALL of their other major events at GenCon, such as the DDM Championship or the various popular Magic events.

It's possible LFL is behind this, I've heard that theory too. But that is all it is, a theory. I think that if LFL was behind it, they would not have allowed ANY SWM events to be held.

I just don't believe in the conspiracy theory, not in the traditional definition. I mean I don't think there was any intentional effort to snub the show or mock the players.

It's just a conspiracy of incompetence and mismanagement, based on my experience with these people - which on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being none, 10 being a top-level employee), I would put at about a 3. They just don't have a good direction for their company and they think they have to keep doing different stuff that's unorthodox until they find something that takes. The problem is that rather than improve on stuff that doesn't work so that it is successful, they scrap the whole idea every time and start from scratch.

It's not just SWM; it's all their games.

Its very easy to be selfish and short-sighted in this situation, especially those of us who only play SW-related WotC games. But really, seriously, take a half an hour and educate yourself about the company's other games and the political operation of them and you will see - yes, SWM is the ugly step-child, but the natural born children have some bruises too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I moved the thread to a more appropriate forum, and now am locking it because the discussion is more extensive here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4251

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]