logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150pt. Comic Stop w/ the Seattle crew 7/26/08
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:20 pm 
General
General

So we finally had 4 people for a tournament! For a while it was me, thejumpingflea, and teneyedman, but we couldn't get a fourth. Then flea went AWOL for the summer and teneyedman has been too busy with work to play, but two new players from Seattle started showing up. That still left us with 3 instead of the 4 we needed. But thanks to Darth Fett, we actually had 4 this last weekend and were able to get a real tournament off.

My squad:
58 Boba Fett, Mercenary
35 Han Solo, Rebel Hero
27 Lobot
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
9 General Dodonna
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Map: Coruscant

I've been losing a lot of games recently, in part due to my less-than-meta squad choices. So I decided to go all out and use some good stuff in this squad. I'd never played Boba Merc before or an MTB engine, but I decided to try for both.

Game 1
vs. Darth Fett
82 Darth Bane
27 Lobot
24 Mistryl Shadow Guard
8 Abyssan Black Sun Thug
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
Map: Muunilist

I brought MTB and 4 Ugs for Reinforcements. He brought a Quarren Assassin and another Abyssan Black Sun Thug. I won map roll (Coruscant), he choose right, so I got left (the landing pad side).

On the second round, I was able to Intuition Boba into line of sight with Bane. I needed 6s to hit for 40 each time (thanks to Han's CE). I rolled a 5 and 2. Han picked off the free Quarren.

Over the next few rounds, he managed to advance Bane pretty safely through the rooms on the top. Unfortunately, I left Han a little too close, so he was able to base me by using Force point(s?) to move faster. I won the next init, and pounded on him with Han and Boba (finally killing the annoying MSG that was Bodyguarding him) and put pretty good damage on Bane. Of course, he then Sith Rage Doubled Han to death and I was left with Boba vs. Bane. He managed to hit or crit Boba with a couple of his Ugs before the Kel Dor, Muun, and Dodonna could pick them all off.

At a critical init, I chose to Double Attack instead of flying further away with Boba, so Bane was able to get off an Assault (maybe with Rage, I don't remember). By this time, the MTB was killing off more important figs like Dodonna and Lobot, but I kept him around.

When Boba finally brought Bane down, he (Boba) only had 10 HP left. Darth Fett tried to finish him off with a non-Cunning Abyssan and an Ug, but they missed, the last round, the MTB sacked the Kel Dor (and himself) and Boba Doubled the two remaining enemies for the win.

All I had left at the end was Boba with 10 HP. It ended up being a lot closer than I expected. Bane tends to do well against a squad with power concentrated in just one or two heavy-hitters, and I definitely underestimated him.

After Round 1, I was 1-0.

Game 2
vs. Robin (I think he goes by Maldorax on Bloo Milk, but I might be confused)
49 Darth Tyranus, Legacy of the Dark Side
41 Aurra Sing, Jedi Hunter
27 Lobot
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
10 San Hill
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
Map: Death Star

I won map roll again (Coruscant), and got stuck with the left again (which is what I would have picked anyway). He brought MTB and Ugs for Reinforcements. I brought Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel.

He set up along the back of the street running up the center of the map, instead of in the rooms. I felt kind of bad doing it, but I was able to get a line of sight to his Kel Dor on Round 1 with Boba (by flying to the high ledge), so I eliminated the Kel Dor, the MTB and some Ugs right off the bat. That was pretty demoralizing for Robin.

He charged his pieces up the road, and I focused the next few rounds on taking out Aurra. He kept winning init, but with San, he could only protect one of his 2 main pieces from Cunning Attack every round.

Once we finally engaged, I tried to block Boba with the Kel Dor, for some reason thinking that Tyranus would have to be adjacent to kill it. But he just used Lightning and blew it up (luckily not hitting anything else). I don't think I lost any other pieces, as Tyranus just can't deal well with big shooters.

After Round 2, I was 2-0.

Game 3
vs. Slie (pronounced "sly")
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
27 Lobot
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
9 General Dodonna
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
Map: Bespin Cloud City

I brought Lando for Reinforcements again. He brought MTB and Ugs. He won map roll (Bespin), I deferred side and ended up on the left (landing pad).

I left Lobot and Dodonna in the upper left room, and advanced the rest of my squad to the "safe" area between the two doors in the middle of the map. Boba got first round gambit, and Lobot locked the door in front of him.

Slie used his plethora of Ugs to open a trail for Han and Mara to get into or just outside of the central gambit room. For his last moves of the round, he moved Lobot, his Kel Dor, and his MTB out to the hallway just above the fountain.

He won init (MTB), but had me go first. I took advantage of his placement by overriding the door by Boba open and moving 6 to draw a line to the MTB. Unfortunately, Boba wasn't within 6 of Han, or he could have blown the Kel Dor and taken out Lobot and the MTB both. But I was happy with just the MTB. Boba took a lot of fire that round (because he was pretty much out in the open), but it was a moral victory.

I'm pretty sure Slie won every initiative after that, even without the MTB. But as we were talking about it later, I think that ended up helping me.

I was able to Intuition Boba around the corner below the fountain, where he was safe from Han and Mara. Every round, I would wait until his two big shooters had activated, then move Boba out for a single shot on Mara. Then I would lose init and run and hide again (Boba only had 50 HP).

Slie managed to cream Han in two activations after he won one of the inits, but Lando was able to take out Lobot, and I had more Gambit, so I was up on points by a little.

I based both Han and Mara with my Kel Dor and kept picking away at Mara. Eventually he broke away from Kel Dor and went for the kill on Lando (thinking the 18 would put him up in points, but Lando was Reinforcements). It didn't matter anyway because Han rolled a 1 and a hit (which was evaded) and Mara rolled a 1 for one of her Cunning, Lightsaber, Twin Attacks, so Lando survived anyway. I was able to finish off Mara before time was called.

So I went 3-0. The prize was a LotF booster. I pulled Deena Shan (boo!), which helped Slie not feel as bad about losing. :)

It was fun to play a sanctioned tournament for a prize again. Hopefully, we'll do it again in 2 weeks.

Post subject: Re: 150pt. Comic Stop w/ the Seattle crew 7/26/08
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:36 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

nice report

people are pretty careless with their MTBs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:55 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

First time playing against that boba. I have alot to learn about how to deal with intuition. :-) And you are right, i shouldn't have allowed MTB to die, ditto lobot. I also should have chased Boba instead of going after Lando and letting a based Kel dor lock me down. I leanred some good stuff though.

Shinja played well and deserved his win.

Slie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Good report. Good squad. :saber:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee