logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 pt Vassal Tourney!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:38 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I went 2-2 in the first ever DCI rated Vassal Tourney. It was a great success with an excellent turn out, 10 players, but he had around 7-9 spectators too. Props to Dean for running this.

My Squad
Luke's SS
Han, RH
Princess Leia
Bothan Noble
General Dod
R2
Uggo Tech
Uggo Demo x2
Ewok

Map: Starship

MtMagus
Han Solo, Galactic Hero
Mara Jade, Jedi
Lobot
Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
General Dodonna
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Reinforce: MTB, 4 Uggo
Map: Muunilist

Lost Map, deferred side. Matt gives me left
I Lost 2 uggos in round 2, and replied by killing Lobot, Leia killed uggo, Luke kills 2 via CEs, and hit Han twice, but Han evaded. Mara takes 20.
On the following init, I lose Leia and Bothan, But in reply I critted Mara with the SS, and moved in for the kill with Han. Unfortunately I missed even with the fprr. Lost Han, R2 and the Ewok on the following init, but Mara dies. Now its down to only a few pieces on the board.
I managed to kill the KD at the end of round 5. leaving just Han and the Muun. Thus ended the game.
His Dod killed my Uggo Tech when I sent him out for gambit, but then he sacrificed Dod for init.
Very close game!
150 - 96

Boba52
Aurra Sing, JH
Darth Tyranus, DLOTS
Kel Dor BH
San Hill
Lobot
Uggo x3

Reinforcements: MTB, 4 Uggos
Map: Death Star

Got map and side (left).
Tied on first init, but he still won, I go first, override door open, and kill San. Aurra shoots back at Han, miss, fprr, 1, hit.
Lobot locks the door on me. Mostly moving scrubs around for the rest of the round, I place Luke’s SS in front of Han for protection from Aurra.
He lets me go first again, override the door open, pot shot with leia on Aurra, miss on the fprr. CE goes to Luke, hitting both attacks and in range of Han’s CE, 70dmg to Sing. He moves in some uggos for the screen, popped one.
Next round I lost Han to a lightning + Sing attack. But I manage to kill Sing and bring Tyranus down to 10!
Next round is clean up, He blows the KD next to the SS and double with Tyranus, a crit would kill me, and he gets close, 18, and 19. But Luke kills Tyrannus, and that is GG.
137-35

LoboStele
Han Solo, Galactic Hero
Mara Jade, Jedi
Lobot
Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
General Dodonna
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Reinforce: MTB, 4 Uggo

Loose Map, defer side. Given right.
Lots of moving around trying to keep my crap hidden. At the end of the round he runs Mara out towards the gambit Zone. I have Han pop her for 30, and run the speeder forward, hoping to do 60.. It was not to be. 2 misses. Mara, runs up to the SS and swings twice, also 2 misses, but then he moves Han far up, putting the SS into Disruptive range.

I shoot off some random pot shots, but nothing hits.
He MTBs for the init, and Mara doesn’t miss this time. Since the SS is my Cannon, I’m out of the running; Han RH is good, but just not good enough. I must concede.

Billiv15
Luke’s SS
Han Solo, Scoundrel
Princess Leia
Obi Ghost
Human BG
R2
Uggo x4

Map: Hoth

Won Map, and was given side choice (left)
Finally a game with no MTB…

But I lost on positioning.. Han SC got a LOS on my SS, and didn’t miss any of his attacks…
No more SS again! Arg.. Darn you Bill and you’re being good at this game :P
Pretty much pity played from then on. No way I could win, even if every attack was a crit. I did get to kill and Uggy though. Yay!

All in all, it was a great tourney, good turnout and I got to play against some really great players. I hope that I can make the next one. Thanks again Dean!

Other Squad:
Thereisnotry
Boba Fett, BH
Han Solo, RH
R2P0
Bothan Noble
Gen Dod
Ugo x3
Joruus
Luke’s LS
Boba Fett, Enf
Lando, DS
Bothan Noble
Gen Dod
R2
Uggo x3
Gran
Jedi1972
Boba Fett, Merc
YV Jedi Hunter x2
Lobot
Kel Dor BH
Uggos x?
Empirejeff
Boba Fett, Bh
Jango Fett, BH
Gen Dod
Uggo x 7
Dvader831
Darth Vader, Imp Commander
Admiral Piett
Mas
FSTO
RP Trooper x10
Uggo (The King)

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: 150 pt Vassal Tourney!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:25 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Ruhk you are missing one piece from my squad.

Yeah i am the only person beat the guy who won!

Yeah I also beat the person who who finished last.

So i guess it is fitting that I finished in te middle their, LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:41 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I had to sign up to get a DCI # for this tournament, since I've never played in any sort of official event before. Just on Vassal (quite a bit) and the occasional game at my home with some friends. Having played in the Gencon Prep League for a bit, I did have a sense of how this would go.

My squad:
Boba BH
Han RH
R2-P0
Bothan Noble
Dadonna
Ug x3

1st Round: I got a bye.
1-0, I guess, though it seems like a silly way to pick up a win. :?

2nd Round: vs Empirejeff
Boba BH
Jango BH
Dadonna
Ugs x7
Map: Chancellor's Starship (I think)

I win the map roll and choose the Death Star. Jeff chooses the left side and sets up first in the Hangar Bay, and I set up in the Security Sector. For the first few rounds we just position while trying to keep our Ugs hidden. I am able to snipe a couple of them in rounds 2 and 3. Then Jeff flies Boba all the way up along the bottom to the Medical Station, where he is hidden out of LOS...but still within 12 of my Boba and Bothan, who have yet to activate. I fly my Boba up 12, then Bothan-ize him for a twin attack...miss and hit (evaded). Well, that gamble didn't pay off very well! :D Actually, it ended up losing me the game. Next round, Jeff wins init and kills my Bothan with his Boba. I end the round with a hit and then another miss by my Boba on Jango, and Han moving up to get within striking distance of Jango. I win that init, which allows me to put 90dmg on Jango, dropping him to 10 hp. At this point my Boba is down to 80hp; after an Uggie crit and a Jango flame, my Boba is down to 40. If I win the next init, I still have life left...if I lose it, I'm out. I roll a 2 for init. :( Jeff rolls a 20 for init (he had 4 20s this game) and kills off my Boba. I then kill his Jango, so our points are somewhat close. However, my 90hp HanRH is no match for his 120hp BobaBH. Jeff played his squad very well and took advantage of my mistake for the win. GG, Jeff! 1-1
Learnings: Don't ever again be stupid enough to risk the Bothan on an init roll! :lol:

Round 3: vs Boba52
Tyranus, LotDS
Aurra, JH
KelDorBH
Lobot (MTB, Ug x4)
San Hill
Ug x3

I lose map, which turns out to be good, thanks to these new DCI rules. :) I defer side choice and Boba52 chooses the left, setting up mostly in the Flight Control Center, with some Ugs in the Hangar Bay. I set up on the right, mostly the same as the other game. I've never played against a MTB squad before, so this is a brand-new experience for me. First round, Boba52 wins init and lets me go first, and so I immediately move 2 pieces, opening the Hangar Bay door with R2 and shooting an ug with Han...gotta kill that fodder when I can! At the end of that round, Aurra moves down and twins my R2 for 20dmg. Next round, he wins init and twins with her again then hides her. R2P0 is down to 20hp, so I end up locking the door and regenerating them. A few rounds later Boba has a chance to shoot an unactivated Aurra, but he misses 1 attack, so she's at 100hp. Somehow I manage to put some hurt on Tyranus at the end of the round as he is setting up his strike. And, as inevitably happens vs an MTB squad, I take a hard first strike from Tyranus on my BobaBH, and I fail my save. However, Aurra is not up with Tyranus, and San is also still alive, so I only have to contend with Tyranus by himself, and so Boba survives. At the end of the round my Bothan heals and allows Boba to drop Tyranus to 80hp. Next round, Tyranus uses 4 attacks (2 misses and fprrs) to put 40dmg on Boba...then I put the last 80dmg on Tyranus with the Bothan/Boba combo. After that things finish quickly. Thanks for the game, Boba52! 2-1
Learnings: It's HARD to play against a good MTB squad. I managed to pull out a win, but it wasn't easy by any means.

Round 4: vs LoboStele
Han GH
Mara Jade, Jedi
Lobot (MTB, Ug x4)
KelDor BH
Dadonna
Ug x2

LoboStele is currently 3-0, having already defeated Billiv15 and some other stiff competition too, so I know this one will be hard. I win map choice, Lobo lets me choose side and set up first. For the third time tonight, I set up on the right side of the Death Star. Lobo sets up his pieces in the Flight Control Center. If San's Legacy with MTB was a tough matchup for my squad, then this matchup is was insane. I am constantly looking for ways to shoot Mara, but Lobo does a very good job of keeping his pieces out of LOS, while still getting 4 rounds of unanswered gambit. At one point the score is 20-3 for him, because I can find no way to safely target his pieces. Being handily out-activated and having an auto-loss for init means that I pretty much have to turtle where I am, and wait for him to come to me. I am able to shoot a few ugs before Mara and Han finally close, but that is it. Finally, in the last round before "The Strike," I have my BobaBH to activate last. Lobo has positioned his pieces to be able to kill R2P0, Dadonna, and my Bothan Noble to start the next round when he wins init. I have an option with my Boba, to either move and shoot Lobot, thus leaving Boba within range of Mara's assault, or else shoot Mara and run away, hoping that he survives long enough to take her out before he dies. Not a good situation. But I decide to shoot Mara, knowing that if she lives I'm toast for sure anyway. Boba's first attack roll of the game: 20! :boba: I'm pretty sure that if she had lived I would've lost. That disintegration is game-breaking, but things aren't entirely over yet. HanGH wins init and tries to shoot my Noble, but fails both his Draw Fire saves and then misses both attacks on R2P0. At this point, LoboStele's gamesmanship really shows itself, because he remains remarkably calm. I finish out the round by taking 2 shots at HanGH, but he evades both hits. Next round Han kills my Noble, then crits my Boba, but I evade it. This game, all evade saves are 100% successful. Shortly after that, my Boba targets a 50hp HanGH...a hit and another 20! :boba: Never, ever in my life have I seen Boba Disintegrate two main pieces in one game. The 2nd disintegration didn't have a major impact, but it was still wierd to see. Wow. Excellent game, LoboStele! If it weren't for that Disintegration of Mara, Lobo would've gone 4-0 on the night. He was a very good opponent, and he played his squad nearly to perfection (he later said he should've rushed 1 round earlier). 3-1
Learnings: Crits happen. :? Also, HanGH and Mara with an MTB are extremely difficult to play against when played by a skilled opponent (as Lobo demonstrated). I didn't want to turtle/camp, but i really had no choice because their first-strike damage-potential (97.5% likely with MTB) was so high and they out-activated me for most of the game.

And so, as it turns out, I ended up winning the tournament, my first DCI-tourney ever. 8) Beginner's luck, I guess: that Disintegration of Mara was the difference between 3-1 (first place) and 2-2 (middle of the pack), though.

Major kudos go to Dean for organizing this, the first genuine DCI Vassal tournament in galactic history! It was a tremendous success, and very fun for everyone who participated. I hope these will continue for a while into the future.
:lsfight:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:06 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

The ranking of the fractions are:

1.rebals
2.rebals
3.new republic
4.rebals
5.rebals/fringe/new republic
6.rebals
7.sepertists
8.new republic
9.empire
10.vong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:20 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

empirejeff wrote:
The ranking of the fractions are:

1.rebels
2.rebels
3.new republic
4.rebels
5.rebels/fringe/new republic
6.rebels
7.seperatists
8.new republic
9.empire
10.vong

fixed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:53 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I really wanted to participate but I'm stuck at work where Vassal decides to randomly freeze from time to time. So I was able to watch some of the games but not all. The main one I saw was Lobo vs Bill, some totally craptacular rolls went on, lol. Worst was when Mara rolled 2 consecutive 1s against Han Sc =o/ Also intersting to see his Kel Dor not able to kill a frickin Ug in cover, lol...

But I also caught the end of the MtMagus vs Ruhk game, and that really does suck to have to MTB your main character...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

jedispyder wrote:
I really wanted to participate but I'm stuck at work where Vassal decides to randomly freeze from time to time. So I was able to watch some of the games but not all. The main one I saw was Lobo vs Bill, some totally craptacular rolls went on, lol. Worst was when Mara rolled 2 consecutive 1s against Han Sc =o/ Also intersting to see his Kel Dor not able to kill a frickin Ug in cover, lol...

But I also caught the end of the MtMagus vs Ruhk game, and that really does suck to have to MTB your main character...

i wanted to play also but i didn't get back form work until after it started and i had stuff to do last night.

Running the MTB is powerful but it really does take some skill to run it correctly.

Matt made a mistake separating the MTB and the kel dor. You really can't do that at 150, particulally when activation count is getting very low. Losing your exit strategy means losing the game often such as in this case.
Lobo made the mistake against Bill where he moved the MTB into a position where leia could snipe it, it could've cost him the game but he luckily won the next init. In this game, and quite often, the MTB and exit didn't need to advance out of the corner where he's hiding as the influence the MTB exerts is enough for the beats to finish up front.
Lobo also was slow on his rush agaisnt TINT which got him Disintigrated. The timing of the rush phase is a careful balance of distance to the target, activations you have v activations your opponent has. Lobo was unlucky to get disintegrated (TWICE!?!?!?) but he took 5 phases to set up the strike where as doing it earlier would mean that boba would have been activated before mara moved.
Boba52 failed to co-ordinate tyrannus and aurra on his big strike phase and so failed to kill his target. If you don't make the most out of your attack phase then running the MTB is pointless as all you are doing is killing your pieces one by one and not getting the benefit of a co_ordinated strike on an important piece.

Many people ran the MTB and a lot unsuccesfully. This tournament is a testament to how difficult MTB squads are to run, they take a lot of work and slight mistakes on positioning can lose you the game.

The match of the night was between Bill and Lobo. It really was an excellent match with a crazy ending. Bill had sniped Lobot and had the points lead. He moved the SS and together with leia put 70 on Mara (3 hits out of 4 shots (5 rolls) needing at most 8s). Mara now had 40 left after being nailed by the speeder. However by advancing so close to mara Bill had effectively engineered a trade of lukes SS for Mara. This would keep Bill in the lead and give his team the advantage in power output (han + leia) and in defensive powers (mettle evades). Lobo wins init via the MTB and takes out the SS. Han Sc runs adjacent to Mara and Leia moves shooting the MTB and fires Han up. Han he hits only once out of 3 meaning Mara lives with 10 left. After some positioning init is rolled and Lobo wins. He needs to just not roll 2 1's. He rolls 2 1's. Leaving Han with 20 left. Han GH shoots and crits, bill misses both saves and that was pretty much game.
fun match to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:19 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

fingersandteeth wrote:
The match of the night was between Bill and Lobo. It really was an excellent match with a crazy ending. Bill had sniped Lobot and had the points lead. He moved the SS and together with leia put 70 on Mara (3 hits out of 4 shots (5 rolls) needing at most 8s). Mara now had 40 left after being nailed by the speeder. However by advancing so close to mara Bill had effectively engineered a trade of lukes SS for Mara. This would keep Bill in the lead and give his team the advantage in power output (han + leia) and in defensive powers (mettle evades). Lobo wins init via the MTB and takes out the SS. Han Sc runs adjacent to Mara and Leia moves shooting the MTB and fires Han up. Han he hits only once out of 3 meaning Mara lives with 10 left. After some positioning init is rolled and Lobo wins. He needs to just not roll 2 1's. He rolls 2 1's. Leaving Han with 20 left. Han GH shoots and crits, bill misses both saves and that was pretty much game.
fun match to watch.

At Gencon, I probably don't make the move with the speeder on Mara, even though the odds of success were fairly high. Instead, I would have likely turtled in the corner after offing Lobot. I thought about it before I moved the speeder, and decided, I wanted to risk it in this case. I would probably be a bit more conservative in the main event.

One thing I have learned running the speeder, +12 twin even with FPRRs misses a lot more than you might expect. You have to take that into consideration I think when playing this squad.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, great reports so far. What a tourney. :D Thanks Dean. It had the feel of something very special. Since Dean gave such short notice I couldn't really think straight about squad and just focused on how in the world I was going to be able to make it. So, I immediately went to MM to start thinking about what do do and what I would be playing against. First thought was Vassal...high chance to roll 20...Boba BH. :P I finally decided I would be going against Dodonna and a bunch of AA's, so I like the idea of playing Tyrannus. I was thinking against swarms Tyrannus with riposte and block and Aurra with BB would be good and against big baddies I could go with the MTB-KDB-Lightning combo! First problem was since I mainly play multiplayer I never run the MTB. Then I am throwing San on top of that. :roll: Then I am playing against the best. 8) I figured what the hell, have some laughs, learn some stuff, go 0-4. Still ranked in Missouri! 8)

I confirm my build by checking bloomilk and both Bill and some others have what I got-so optimal :P.

Tyrannus LOTDS, Aurra JH, San Hill, Lobot, KDB, 3 uggies (rein was always MTB 4 uggies cause no one had init control)

1st RD
EmpireJeff with JangoFett, Boba Bh, Dodonna, 7 uggies. I lose map. Play on Chancellors Starship. I pick left when I see Dodonna, cause I figure between him and San this could be a 5-0 game so I want gambit baby. I have played Jeff a lot in the GVL and once in the prep league, so I am figuring with his big guns he is going to rush me or this is going to be a slow, painful game. The later happened. We both take our time setting up and he doesn't even reach gambit till rd 3. No one wants to open the middle door. :lol: He's got Boba first and Jango camping on the throne and I am trying to figure out how to set up the combo on Boba without him flying away in the mean time we are playing uggie spin. RD5 we finally engage and I lightning/activate Boba and move Tyrannus where Jango can't shoot me without moving. Time is definately a factor now and the MTB is not dead yet is worring me. It is 23-18 him and my only hope is if he brings all his uggies as a shield to protect Boba and I am able to kill 3 of them with Aurra and not have Aurra or Tyrannus die. He makes an uggie shield in a way that I only have BB to 3 uggies (which is exactly what I need) so I just need to not miss. Last activation of the RD is Jango taking a pot shot at Aurra when time is called. I win 32-28. If we had 1 minute longer then we would of had to start another rd and I wouldn't have survived finishing the entire rd. Luck was on my side. GG Jeff!

2nd RD
Against Ruhk, He already talked about this in his post so I'll give my side. SS on hardboard-enough said. :roll: So, I have played on the hard board twice and both time I had the SS, so I had no ideas where to put my 13 guys and have them be safe, so I let Ruhk go thinking it would be better to see him setup and go later. So, as was a theme the whole night I spent way too much time overthinking where to put the Kel-Dor so he wouldn't blow up in my face and totally forgot about San. Yep, first turn goodbye San, but hey Kel-Dor is safe. :roll: I made it close, but my indecisions and lack of experience with squad and play style really hurt me.

3rd RD

TINT. Again he posted so I'll sum up. I ALWAYS fear TINT. He's just one of those guys where you know you can't screw up any placement or you'll pay and Oh yeah he's got Boba BH, with the Llama on VASSAL. That's got to be illegal somewhere, might as well be Canada! Again my whole focus is how to get Kel-Dor across the map when he can blow up with one attack from Boba and I finally do it but it takes way too many rds and he by this time has shown he isn't coming out of that damn room. My mistake is treating Aurra like support to KBH and Tyrannus instead of moving her lock step with the Sith Lord. TINT makes me pay for my indecision, but this was a happy loss and I feel like I have learned much. Thanks master! :P

4th RD
Against Dvader. Vader IC, Piet, Mas, Felucian, 10 RP trooper, Uggie (The King). We both have DeathStar.
By this point I was so happy to not see Dodonna I get misty. I don't know what Ray's record was, but it is waaaaaaaaaaay late and we are both in full on fun mode. I quickly find out I need 17's out of Aurra to hit his little bastard crew and laugh mightily. He has a shot at an uggie holding the door. Changes his mind. Moves Vader down to the middle and grips him. He laughs and I know this isn't the first time he's gripped an uggie. Now that Vader is commited everyone heads to the pool. He has no accurate so I can move KDB more freely and I end up setting him up for the combo. 90 dam later I feel like I am in cruise control so I base him with Aurra to finish him but forget he has deflect, so he only takes 30. Now I have to commit Tyrannus to the party to finish him and know I am getting a riposte. Vader's dead but now I am in for a ton a opp blasts. Now he starts saying how tough it is to hit MY guys. We both laugh at the irony. :wink: I lose Aurra and only have a 40 HP Tyrannus left. Times running out. I am ahead on points but he has a trooper based to my Lobot and that 27 points will win him the game. My only chance is to not act Lobot til last and make him attack without Opp. He has to attack and go for the crit and no crit comes, so I win a squeeker.

To sum up the night. AWESOME. It was great playing with all of you. Seps are tough to play if you are indecisive like me. Not having disruption hurt me tonight. No accurate shot hurt too. Noboby I played had init control. All my games went to time, so I hated missing out on all the banter. Next time I will have to have another login going in the main room so I can go back and read what is happening. I would say major success Dean!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:38 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:
At Gencon, I probably don't make the move with the speeder on Mara, even though the odds of success were fairly high. Instead, I would have likely turtled in the corner after offing Lobot. I thought about it before I moved the speeder, and decided, I wanted to risk it in this case. I would probably be a bit more conservative in the main event.

One thing I have learned running the speeder, +12 twin even with FPRRs misses a lot more than you might expect. You have to take that into consideration I think when playing this squad.

needing 8's means you'll be successful about 2 out of 3 rolls on average. So your rolls were pretty close to what you expect. I thought your plan of a trade was pretty good, the problem was that Han Sc has even worse attack, particulally moving forward when he loses mettle and it was han that let you down, not the speeder. The chance to kill Mara swung on 2 rolls which you needed one to hit at 50/50. 1 out of 4 times it fails, and it failed for you unfortunatley. A bad beat as they say in Poker.

Still turtling was probably the best strategy, particulally seeing as you had override.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

fingersandteeth wrote:
Boba52 failed to co-ordinate tyrannus and aurra on his big strike phase and so failed to kill his target. If you don't make the most out of your attack phase then running the MTB is pointless as all you are doing is killing your pieces one by one and not getting the benefit of a co_ordinated strike on an important piece.

Oh, you saw that huh? :oops: Yeah, I definately felt like the guy in golf who whips out the $800 Nike driver and then promptly hits it in the woods. It was worth it just for all the education though! I definatley feel I could run it alot better now. Though, I don't know that I want to deal with the pressure. The rebel cannons out there looked like a lot more fun to play! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:28 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Boba52 wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:

Oh, you saw that huh? :oops: Yeah, I definately felt like the guy in golf who whips out the $800 Nike driver and then promptly hits it in the woods. It was worth it just for all the education though! I definatley feel I could run it alot better now. Though, I don't know that I want to deal with the pressure. The rebel cannons out there looked like a lot more fun to play! :D

You saw a rebal squad?

Through then again half the fractions in play were rebals, so it is not totally out of the relm of possibilities!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:08 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boba52 wrote:

lol yeah. I was popping back and fore through the matches looking for the key phases.
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. A loss is not a loss so long as you learn from it. As far as changing squads, if you run a cannon squad you have to deal with playing against MTBs then which is just as pressure filled, if not more so, as running an MTB. Best to find a squad that you like playing and then figure out how you should play it against the top squads.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Not to mention when jedi faced me at the end of the day, it was just not a pretty matchup. i won the hame when i wastered he boba to dust. Heck i had the game won from the start. Really i had the game won before we rolled. I even had the game won before the start of the tourney. LOL.

Seriouslly he was not kidding when he said if we played I would win. He was not kidding a one bit, LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:01 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Game1 vs. boba

THis game was stupid. I lost by 4 ... points. Should have elected to move 2 pieces to speed things up. The guy played slow as ice, no offence. Still fun through.

Game 2 vs tint

I screwed up in the biginning but it just did not matter. I still won.

Two boba bh and no boba crits. I rolled like 4 20's and like 3 of them were ints and one was a uggie. with a crit by uggie and a flame by 10 hp jango. His boba had 40 hp. THen next round that was the end of that jango and boba.

Game 3 vs jc

I lost many ints. and that did me in.

game 4 vs. jedi

i won on round 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I think 3 of the games I played have been covered so far, haha.

The first game against Bill.....just crazy. I set up in a way that I thought kept me protected, and then Bill made a really nice baiting move, where I thought I was going to lose two Ugos (VERY bad for an MTB squad) but when I tried to save those guys, I instead lost Lobot. OUCH. Of course, then my Han goes at the end of the round, and shooting at Bill's Human BG, needing 8's, I only hit 1 of two shots. OK, about what I expected. I win init, go first, and Han takes two more shots at the HBG, now needing 4's....Yep, rolled a 1 and a 2. If only we knew that was a foreshadowing of the rest of the game, lol. I never dreamed that his Han would fail to kill my Mara. I was panicking at that point on how best to finish off his Han. Then, when he did miss, I figured I had the game sealed, needing anything but 1's to kill his Han....Started out with a Crit, but then rolled 2 1's lol. The fact that I still won it was just ridiculous.

Game 2 against Ray was a fun one. Mara needed 13's and Han needed 15's to hit the RPTs in cover WITH Cunning. Funny stuff. But I chose to bring Wicket and 3 Grans for my reinforcements this game instead of the MTB, and it paid off. Without Accurate Shot, I was safely able to use Mara, Wicket, and the KDBH with pretty good success against his Troopers. Disruptive and Traps proved to be the real kicker though, and between that and some unanswered Gambit points, I got ahead by a decent lead. Finally, to have any shot at things, Ray had to move out his Vader and base Mara, though that put him in range of Traps as well. I won the 'big init' and Mara + Han and some Combine Fire help ended Vader's reign. Was clean-up from there.

Match #3 against Ruhk was a grudge match, lol, as we had this exact matchup in the GPL a couple months ago, and he came out on top due to some dumb playing by me, and some lucky rolling by him. This time I made sure not to forget those mistakes. I set up a bait situation where I knew he would have to move 2 pieces in one phase in order to come after Mara, which meant he wouldn't be able to activate his Leia and Bothan till the next phase. And so, when he took the bait, I then moved up my Han GH the full 12 squares to put the Speeder under Disruptive. And with Evade and cover on Han, and Stelath for Mara, there was no way for any of Ruhk's remaining pieces to do anything that round. MTB wins me the init and down goes the Speeder, while I am still nearly at full capacity.

Game #4 against TINT was crazy. He pretty much recapped it already, but I did realize afterwards that I definitely waited at least 1 round too long to make the grand charge. I tapped both Mara and Han one round while hiding behind one of the walls of the shaft area on the top of the Death Star map, and that's what killed me. Granted, I don't know if it would have mattered if I had rushed one round earlier or not, especially if he rolled the 20 on Mara either way. Though attacking one round earlier would have left me with 1 more activation, thus allowing me to wait to Override the door open with Lobot until AFTER Boba had activated. I could have waited till the following round to Override the door, but then I would not have been able to attack with Han that phase as well, and I didn't want to lose that chance. Dice in general failed me this game though, as the two failed Draw Fires and then two misses (needing only 7's) to hit R2PO hit me hard. But, that's how the game goes! Can't be afraid of the Disintegration. In hind sight though, I moved Mara to be standing directly in front of the door where TINT was hiding his pieces, and I really should have left her 1 square higher, behind the wall. This would have forced TINT to make a choice that if he wanted to shoot Mara, he would have had to leave Boba within 6 of Mara at the end of his move. The way I set it up, he could move anywhere in the room he wanted, and thus he was able to get 8 or 9 squares away. 20 or not, I wouldn't have been able to kill Boba in that round anyways, so Mara would have been down to at least 30 HP by the end of that following round.

Overall though, was a TON of fun. Sorry I haven't been able to jump on here to report until now, but after finishing at almost 3 am EST, lol, and was busy most of the weekend. ;) Dean made some very interesting observations, in that the meta and play-style for this tourney was very different from what I'm used to. No one hardly ever runs the Muun Tactics Broker at my LGS, and when they do, it's usually done quite poorly. And pretty much anytime I use it, my opponent's either Turtle all day and let me earn uncontested gambit like crazy, or I annihilate them with easy set-up + init rounds. So having opponent's that play differently was really great. I lost to TINT (besides the 20's lol) simply because I wasn't used to someone turtling that way, and I waited one round too long to press the attack, somewhat because I just didn't know what he was up to. All around was a lot of fun, and I had a blast chatting with everyone. I don't know how often I'll be able to give up 6 hours of time like that, but we'll see. I hope Dean's future Vassal tournies do just as well. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:56 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

YOu were done at 3? It was 2 for me, but of course we only played 4 of 5 rounds and then the guy gave up.