logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: DexCon 11, Major bust!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:45 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Well, Besides the fact Xanthan and I got a less then 2 hours of sleep, everything just fell apart.
We *tried* to go to bed at 10 since we were waking up at 6. Neither of us got any sleep, at 2:00am Xanthan on the other side of the room goes:
*Whisper* "Hey, Zack. You awake?"
*Whisper* "Haven't slept. What's up."
*Whisper* "Nothin' much..."
*sigh*

So by 4:30 the last time I looked at the clock I hadn't had a wink of sleep, considering I had less then 6 hours the night before as well. I am woken at at 6:20 and go through the motions: Shower, Cup of Caf.

On the ride there my mind is running through the dozens of possibilities. I am beyond excited. We get to the Hotel hosting the Con, and it looks amazing. We get our day passes and sign up for our events. To my surprise the Star Wars Minis events ( 150 beginner, standard 150, Dynamid Duo) have no-one on the sheet *gulp*. W/e I'm not a beginner but I opt to take a 150 fun squad (Caedus, Fett Merc, Lobot, Ug) but more so help new players. Signing up as an alternate just in case they need me. Well there is 1 person for this event at 10:00am. I am not too disappointed because I don't really care if I just show this 1 person. Well, this smug so called "Judge" walks into the room yells "Star Wars Minis over here!". I introduce myself,
"Hey, I'm Zack."
"Uhuh. You a beginner?"
"No, not at all. I just figured I'd help if you needed me to teach people."
"Well I am from the number 1 ranked Leagues in NJ, which is why I am here."
"That's nice :roll: "

Well the young man I am going to play and teach has his squad and this judge isn't as much judging as barging into our conversation as we set up the map. W/e, I ask him what kind of stuff he plays, he replies
"Boba Fett. Bounty Hunter all the way!"
"Or you can use something that requires some degree of skill. Oh boy, Mobile-Twin-Mobile."
This judge then proceded to tell me how I am stupid because I don't love Boba BH, how every tourny he's ever gone to has had at least 3 Boba BH squads.
I Basically tune him out at this point, last thing I need is to listen to some a**hole tell me how I'm stupid because I don't use Boba.
Me and the young man begin our game, and then once again the judge goes off, how when you roll Initiative who ever gets the higher roll goes first, no choice. I inform him that he is incorrect. He goes off how I am dumb, don't know the rules, he is a judge for a reason, he is from the #1 lgs...ect. I have My most current rulebook-printed out FAQ sheets, printed out Erratta sheets. But I am in the middle of a game and don't have the time to prove him wrong. He calls his friend over and then they both are going off. *sigh*
Me and this young man(never did catch his name :-P) are playing and having a good time.
The judge eventually just leaves the area and goes to his own thing. I beat the young man, and walk over to Xanthan who was playing heroscape with his parents.
After 2 hours of them playing heroscape, we go get lunch which was great, and go play Super Smash Bros Brawl 2 Hours later. We had the impression it was a tourny, well some random thrown together free for all-fun- when there is 14 kids pushing and shoving screaming in pre-pubescent voices "MY TURN!!!!" "GO EASY ON ME!"
Well needless to say, Xan and I are already half asleep at this time (4:00pm), and ask to just leave so we don't have to deal with that ignorant, rude judge. The event which is another 4 hours away-ugh!
So we decide to have a 4 way free for all 150 for swm with Xanthan, his mom and dad, and I.
His father runs a sep squad of droids, his mother runs Jwm x2, Anakin JK, Obi JM, Eeven piell, Xanthan runs Vader Unleashed, Boba merc, Lobot, Ozzel, 1 uggy,rein is ugs, I run Han sc, Luke HPU, Leia, Bothan Noble, Obi spirit, Dodonna, R2, Juno, uggy.

I engage his father first, and proceed to kill him but suffer a few pot shots from Xanthan. Xanthan tries to focus on his mother, but she moves around the side.
I kill His father, then go after him, protecting his mother's squad by locking a door preventing LOS to her. Well she attacks me from behind after I saved her three times, So I kill her squad, and then kill Xanthan. By the end of it I had Juno full, Dodonna Full, Uggy, Xanthan Had Ozzel.
I killed every pieces of his father's squad, every pieces except Even on His mothers, and all Nathan's pieces except the rein ugs.
It was a blast!
By this time, it is nearly time for the 150 tourny at 8:00pm.
Xanthan and I go to the room and the judge walks in with his Girlfriend. I hand him the roolbook-point to the Init part, he looks for a sec, throws it aside towards the table, looks at me and goes
"Was erratta'd"
and walks away.
He said it with such a tone and was just such a jerk, I was fuming. Xanthan who doesn't even say the word Damn was cursing in anger at this guy's blatant rudeness.
Well Xan and I go to his mom and dad and just want to leave, we are so mad and lost all interest in playing. Well his Mother and Father push us to stay, and his mom goes looking for the Judge to see what his problem is.
No more then 10 minutes later, this Judge walks up to me and goes
"Yeah, well, uhh, The floor rules that were chnaged for init got re-changed, you were right."
I say "Yeah, I commend you for admitting that" and shake his hand.
Xanthan and I know this is complete BS, but why open up the argument again?
We decide since we are already there and it's time to play already we find the other player who was signed up. Well, there was 1 other guy *sigh*. I play him first, I lose an Ugnaught. The I play Xanthan and it was a fun game, but I came out on top.
The Dynamic Duo didn't start till 2:00am...EFF THAT!
Well, all and all, it was a lack-luster day made worse by the rudeness of the Judge.
I tried to pass our cards for our Game store, but no-one lived around there so that was also a bust.

Post subject: Re: DexCon 11, Major bust!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Yeah the judge was definitely ignorant of the rules, not the best manners either. Pretty sad he didn't even know how initiative works. I didn't really lose my temper about it though, but I really wasn't in the mood to play SWM till the guy "admitted" he was wrong. I never remember init getting changed so he was probably just lying to cover up for his mistake or something. I don't really think I"ll be going to Dexcon next year because of how disappointing it was. The SWM tourney had surprisingly good prize support considering Dexcon wasn't sponsored by WOTC(at least I don't think it was sponsored). The SWM judge was kind enough in the end of the tourney since the place where you claim your prize was closed but the judge managed to get the prizes for zack anyways. Though I still don't understand why he would just ignore the rule book where it said if you win init, you choose who goes first. A very poor judge overall IMO. Its the game's rules, he should have either followed the rules or not be a judge at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Hilarious story, sounds like an overall craptacular experience. You've got to love those #1 rated Douche Bags.

"Boba Fett. Bounty Hunter all the way" Classic Douche. :boba: Too bad you didn't get to actually play him and school his dumbass.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

R5Don4 wrote:
Hilarious story, sounds like an overall craptacular experience. You've got to love those #1 rated Douche Bags.

"Boba Fett. Bounty Hunter all the way" Classic Douche. :boba: Too bad you didn't get to actually play him and school his dumbass.

I agree with everything this man just said and couldn't have phrased it better myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:34 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
LOL Dean. I don't think anyone would refer to you as a db. Being #1 and a douche of course are by no means inclusivie of each other.
You would have to admit though that the DCI system rating system is flawed. Not knowing a basic rule such as how initiative works is just such a ridiculously newb mistake for a #1 rated player (let alone a judge). It just goes to show there is a lot of big fish in little ponds out there. I think through events like your Vassal DCI games are the only way to accurately gauge player skill level. Gencon events are great to but many players can't attend for whatever reason. So you get #1 rated players in a state judging events without a grasp of the basic rules because he shows up at his local store every week and kicks all the kids but with Boba BH-unbelievable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:15 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Walls and windows??!!! WTF? Exactly. That is the kind of #1 rated players I was referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:27 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, to be fair, if the way Zack worded it above is the way he actually said it, the guy claimed to be from the #1 LGS in the state, not necessarily that he was the #1 player. BIG difference, lol, if that's what he really said.

Sorry that you had to deal with that though, man. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:32 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Yeah, I know sometime I can be arrogant or difficult to work with, but when I go to a Tournament or some rules dispute comes up, I am very civil about it. I always have the Rulebook with me, and for now on FAQ and Erratta. I play for fun, competition is fun, but at the end of the day it is just a game. People who walk around with their heads up their a** thinking because they can beat 9year olds at a Tournament, that is what bugs me, is it so hard to be polite?
I really hope to go to Gencon next year, so I can experience a competitive environment without rude people.

On a side note, I am glad to see at the end of a bad day, I have friends here to have my back.
Thanks. :)