logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: OSWCC Summer Social - LotF Sealed-Elimination
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:19 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

So today was the Ohio Star Wars Collectors Club Summer Social (wow, a mouthful!) and we had a LotF Sealed-Elimination game (Elimination is you lose once you're out). I've never written up a tourney report so bear with me, lol...

My Squad:
Boba MC 57
Luke LotLS 39
Imperial Knight 22
Gotal Mercenary 13
Dug Fringer 11
YV Warrior 8
(exactly 150)

First game was against Cole. He had Darth Tyranus LotDS/Deliah Blue/Imperial Knight/Duros Scoundrel/Kel Dor BH/Elite Rebel Commando. Map was the Death Star (my map). The problem he had was he split up his squad all along his starting side, never going past 8 squares. So I dropped my YV Warrior in Gambit and went after his pieces, slowly widdling them down. In the end it was my full health Luke and Boba gainst his full health Tyranus. I made the big mistake of thinking that Tyranus had Force Lightning 5 instead of 4. So when he zapped me I put damage on both Boba and Luke and failed both saves. In the end it didn't matter cause time ran out and I had 96 points left against his 49 (plus I had all the Gambit saved up).

Since we were doing Elimination we went from 14 players to 7, so Lobostele chose me as the bye (which worked cause I was able to trade pieces to Cole at that point, heh).

Round 3/Final 4 was pretty close. I think the guy I went up against was Roland. He had Tyranus/Antares Draco/YV JH/YV Warrior/Kel Dor BH/Human Bodyguard/Elite Rebel Commando. We played on the Ruined Base. He used the ERC to control my path and confronted me in the bottom-left room. He slowly dwindled me down, taking AoO with his Kel Dor to get it situated next to 3 pieces (YV Warrior, Luke, Gotal). We kept dwindling each other down and his Kel Dor had 10 HP left but so did the adjacent Luke and YV Warrior. I succeeded in a Jedi Mind Trick and saved Luke and he missed his AoO for the Gotal moving away, and then came my YV Warrior who decided to just Thud Bug him. So he failed the save but blew up with just my YV Warrior's sacrifice. In the end, it was my Boba with 20 HP and his Draco with 10 HP. We were at a stalemate where there was a door between us and neither of us wanted to open it. I decided to back away and leave, hoping to go around. He then decided to open the door, yet I won iniative and was able to get my Boba within LoS for the killer shot.

Round 4/Final 2 was me going against James, who is a very good player I hadn't beat before. His squad was Kyle JBM/Boba MC/Bothan Noble/Mando Trooper/Human Scout on his Invisble Hand map. The first couple rounds we were too timid to open the door and go against each other. I was trying to work myself around from behind, which finally cost the first casualty of the game with my Gotal. In the end, the big thing that screwed James was him failing his Thud Bug save on Kyle. I won iniative and messed up Kyle some more with my Boba, and then he failed a 2nd Thud Bug save (I think, or maybe Kyle was dead already). Either way next round (or that round) I finished his Kyle with a clean blast from Boba. He had almost had my Luke (10 HP left) when time was called. If he had made the Thud Bug saves with Kyle he probably would have won the game. But never getting to use Kyle was a big pain for him cause he relied on Kyle to take the forefront battle, with Boba staying in the back. It was a really good game...

Last edited by jedispyder on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OSWCC Summer Social - LotF Sealed-Elimination
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice report, Chris! Yeah, doing a single-elimination event was weird, and because of the odd number of players for the 2nd round, I just rolled a bunch of dice, and then used it pair everyone up. It was totally random, but worked out OK.

My squad, which I thought would be decent to start with was:

Cade
YV JH
Mando Gunslinger
Gotal Merc
Shadow Stormtrooper
GA Scout
Human BG

I thought, going in, that I'd have a decent chance at doing well, but right off the bat, Roland (who is who Chris played for his 2nd game, not Kevin/Kyle/etc. :P) got me pretty good. I wasted his Tyranus pretty easily early on the game, but not before he did get a Lightning 4 off on Cade (which, Chris, I don't know if you screwed this up or not against Cole, but Lightning 4 only his 1 target...sounded from your report like it did damage to both Luke and Boba, unless he cast it twice?). Luckily, Cade was already activated at that point. My Mando gunslinger didn't do too much, but the Vong JH did a great job of playing clean up around the board. The real kicked though, was the stupid KDBH, as Roland did a great job of basing at least Cade, if not mulitple targets at a time, forcing me to take the 10 damage in order to get any shots off. This also meant that Cade was only getting 2 attacks per round instead of 4, and that really killed me. Game ended quite hilariously though, with my YVJH with 20 hp, and Roland's YVJH with 20 hp, and his Elite ReBel Commando. So it was simply a matter of who failed their Crab Armor 6 saves first, and unfortunately, it was me. Was a fun game though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

thanks for the write up!!!

that Kyle/BF squad you played in the final round sounds mean. those are like the best sealed pulls ever!!!

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The worst part is, the guy who pulled those two pieces is the #1 guy in the state, and ranked VERY highly on the world DCI list as well, so it's not like he needed to pull such good figs in order to win or at least do well. But several of us all groaned when we realized what he pulled, and I knew there was no way I'd be able to beat him, at least not easily. I was QUITE impressed that Chris was able to best him. But that's how it goes sometimes, and when it comes down to the dice, Thud Bug can REALLY ruin your day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm 

Aaron, RE: Tyranus, I thought he had Force Lightning 5 and not 4. My opponent, of course, didn't object when I delt both damage and rolled for activation. It wasn't until I went up against Roland and I actually read Tyranus' card that I saw he had FL4 and went "doh!" I still need to try Tyranus, he's a pretty solid piece it seems (especially with FL4 being 'Replaces Attacks' and not 'Replaces Turn')...