All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

How much impact will KOTOR have on the Jedi Masters Tournament
Total votes : 0

Post subject: The Impact of Kotor on the Masters
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Just a little speculation. Kotor releases 8 days before the big tournament of the year. A very short span, really. With not much time for getting the set, let alone playtesting, what are your thoughts on its impact on the Jedi Master's tournament. While it is impossible to know, without knowing the set, just give out your best guesses.

I think it will show up, but I think the bulk of the top players will mainly go with tried and true stuff.

Post subject: Re: The Impact of Kotor on the Masters
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:45 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I think that Kotor will have an influence with some new powerful figures, but I still have faith in Legacy's ability to shape the tournment.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:20 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Long before game day the Kotr set will be fully leaked, guaranteed. Plenty of time for the SWM mad squad making scientists to craft the most broken combos. With the power creep spiral spinning as fast and furious as it has lately and with this being the fourth set released within the last 14 months you've got to expect that even if the top squads don't heavily rely on new units they will defitely be built with them in mind and be able to handle them. Last years top squads were light on the CE's due to the addition of more Disruptive units in A&E.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:54 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Its tough to make any kind of prediction without seeing the obvious meta changers. We've seen some pretty interesting figs but nothing that is OMGWTFBBQ!!?!

If nothing directly nerfs the MTB (like a cheap fringe piece that gives stuff on an initiative roll of a 1) then most builds will go towards playing or countering it. That means san ozzel and dodonna builds with old and a spattering of new figs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:45 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I personally think that it is too early on in the spoilers to speculate whether or not Kights will have an impact on the top tables. (that may be what fingers just said before me :P )

The pieces we have seen so far are interesting for the most part, but I don't think that we have seen anything so far that would shake up the top squads.

I think that the Czerka Scientist probabbly has a lot to offer different squads, and some potentially mean combo's can be brought about with her.

I am saving my judgement though until after I see more of the C/UC and some of the other "mains" from Kights.

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
We've seen some pretty interesting figs but nothing that is OMGWTFBBQ!!?!

LOL. Agree with you there. Malak is approaching that point, and I've yet to really play with any ideas for him yet, but at the same cost as Tyranus LOTDS, I'm thinking there's a few workable combos in there somewhere.

So far, there's only 1 or 2 pieces that I've seen that make me think "Hmm...I could see that maybe doing good at 150 points, but it depends on what else we still get." I think fingers hit the nail on the head though. Unless there is something that drastically reduces the viability of the MTB or San/Dodonna squads, I don't think it will make much difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:20 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

When the stakes are so high, I can't see too many of the top players drastically messing with their squads days before the big tourney. I think every shooter squad will find a way to sneak the Czerka Scientist in there though. You will see a smattering of themed squads surrounding the beefed up Sith and OR, but I don't see anything yet to prove they will be top 8. There are still more previews to come, but as of now, I don't expect drastic changes, but some new figures will be played.

Part of the issue comes from the people who are shelling out big bucks to go to GenCon probably don't all have the cash on hand to buy many cases and singles won't be available for a couple days online usually. I'm sure there will be some people wanting to play some of the new figures, but just not able to get a hold of them in time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

But they're not that high. Bragging rights, and a full set - that's it.

Anyway, I picked "a good amount" but would have preferred an option that suggested KotoR would be seen heavily but that a tried and true non-KotoR squad would win anyway because that is my prediction.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I picked option 2 as a guess, since of course we don't know most of the stats yet.

There are always surprising ideas that people have that can throw you for a loop. And sometimes, in the hands of the right player, they can come out of nowhere and place high in a tournament like this. I could easily see Kotor figures in the top 8, in fact, odds are very good that they should be there. I don't buy the argument that because its new, people won't know how to play it at this point in the game. There are more than enough shrewd players out there that I cannot go into the tournament expecting not to have to deal with it.

And I have heard the comparisons to Gencon 2005 several times and frankly, I don't think that applies. Especially since it isn't even completely true of that particular tournament. I put the talent of the players in the game today at a much higher level than it was 3 years ago, and as such, I fully expect to see some Kotor influence on the top 8.

And I agree with Boris, the stakes are relatively little for this one. I don't think that should hold anyone back from playing what they want. You aren't going to be as good as another player by net-decking their squad anyways, so might as well figure out what works best for you and practice with it.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I think that what will be popular is new powerful pieces, or pieces that mimick what is already out there. If the Sith get a wannabe San, then you will find tons of people playing sith like we play seps, and rebels now. Possibly more. Same if republic gets one. Thing is I don't know if either faction will get it. Malak will be mean, and I can certainly see Malak and Boba Fett Merc or BH being the begining of something deadly if they get some support activation control.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 pm 
General
General

If the stats we have for Jarael are accurate, I'd predict she'll be in at least 4/8 of the top 10 squads.