logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150pts Constructed at ACME Games 6-26-08
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:59 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Lobo usually provides the update for us but he was unable to make it last night. I barely made it myself after sitting on the runway at Philly for what felt like an hour. I was late and was given the bye for the 1st Round. With 3 rounds remaining and my strength of schedule already hurting, I had to play tough the rest of the night.

With not much time to prepare a squad, I ran what I thought I had seen being discussed on the boards:

45 Luke's Snowspeeder
33 Deliah BLue
26 Golan Arms DF.9 Anti-Infantry Battery
17 Bothan Noble
09 General Dodonna
08 R2-D2
06 C-3PO
06 Ungaught Demo x2

9 activations / 150pts

My first round playing I played against an odd Kota Squad: Kota, 2 Kel Dors, 2 Vornskrs, Mas, a Gran and I think 2 Ugs. He won map and choose the Plaza. I forced him to pick sides and set up first knowing that my battery was not going to be in the greatest position on this map (might as well see where he sets up...). He picks the room side and hide Kota and Mas to the left of the room. I place the battery on the street with clear view of the one room door. With Dodonna I out-activated him and I forced him to activate his pieces. He opened the opposite door and moved a Kel Dor out. I was able to move the speeder to the center of the place and take a clean attack at his other Kel Dor. A twin attack later and Kel Dor and an Ug were gone. He moved a Vornskr out towards the speeder and tapped Mas. I moved the Bothan up within 6 of the speeder and took a twin on his Vornskr. Only one hit (the real story of the night - my poor rolling with the speeder...). Once activated, I opened a back door on the left of the map and Deliah had a shot on his other Kel Dor. She hits so only 20 left on his last Kel Dor. His other Vornskr moves out towards the speeder, basing me and then he taps Kota (telling me he is building for a Repulse...). Next round he wins and hits me with both Vornskrs. I activate the Bothan, twin on the injured one hitting both times. He taps both Mas and Kota. I activate the Speeder and kill the one Vornskr and fly back to the street. Deliah repairs the Speeder of all damage. I run C-3PO up to block the Vornskr and guarantee gambit for the round. Next round I managed to place 40 on the Vornskr between Deliah and the noble. I fly the speeder up to the center of the plaza and miss the twin attack. He continues to tap both Mas and Kota. Next round I use the Speeder to fly up and kill Mas then mobile out of Kota's lightsaber range. None of my other characters hit that damn Vornskr which ends up attacking 3PO (not sure why on that one...) The following round he wins init and Kota runs up to the Speeder. He doesn't repulse but attacks with the saber and missed! The speeder twins and hits. Deliah gets a cunning on the Vornskr and he is left with only Kota at this point. I keep the speeder away from him and manage to pick Kota off over the next several rounds. Lacky 2-0

The third round I play Steve who is running a Push Squad: VAR, Luke Hoth, Yoda, Liea Cloud City, Dodonna, R2 and Filler. Steve won map and choose Cloud City. Tired, I choose the platform side and set up first. I should have let him as I placed the battery right in front of the door by the hall (guaranteeing gambit). Steve then sets everyone in the rooms leading up the the control room. Steve is a good player and most of this game came to placement. I think neither of us took a single shot the first three rounds as we moved into position. While I claimed Gambit the whole, Steve was building Yoda's Force pool. Steve manges to take out Deliah after winning a risky gambit, but leaves his Apprentice open for the speeder to twin. I mobile up twin, hitting both times and mobile back, keeping a lightsaber from happening the next round should he win. Using the Bothan, I get another twin on the Apprentice and showhow managed to hit both again (needing 14s in cover)! I end up winning Initiative and using mobile, place two more hits on the Apprentice. I activate the bothan hoping to take the Apprentice out and miss both twin attacks. He moves the Apprentice out of harm's way and that pretty much ends my chances of winning. I might of had a chance but Steve manages to take an Ug out and ends up winning by just a few points at the end of time. Lackey 2-1

The last round I am facing my good buddy James. He is running Galactic Han, Boba BH, Lobot, Dodonna, Wicket and some Ug. We both are playing on the Throne Room and I actually win map (yeah :? ...) He chooses the easy path to Gambit. I end up placing the battery right in the control rool for gambit as well. The rest of the team is set up to make their way through the damaged hall. At the end of the first round I use R2 to open the doorway that looks down on his squad. Wicket was left in the open for my battery and I take advantage of that, killing the pesky ewok with a single attack. Fett and Han hit the battery for some damage, but nothing to be concerned with. Next Round I move Deliah in behind the battery and put the repair in. James sees his new target and Fett moves up to attack Deliah. 3PO draws fire and the droid finally proved some use in this squad forcing Fett to waste his twin on him rather than Deliah. I base Fett with the Speeder and begin to put some damage on him. The noble assists and now Fett is hurting. Han attacks but misses the Speeder. James wins Init and decides to move Fett away rather than face the speeder again (he may have miscounted as the speeder followed and put Fett out of his misery with the help of the bothan. After that with time running out, James moves Han up but it is too late to kill anything to catch up with the lose of Boba. Lackey wins and finishes 3-1.

Steve won 1st place and got Darth Talon. I ended up in 3rd place due to the 1st round bye hurting my strength of schedule and picked up another Ordo. I will think of some custom to make with him.

Over all I was happy with the squad. Not having much time to put it together, I was left wandering if a better mix of support pieces could have been choosen. I liked having R2 in the squad as Override came in handy, but Wicket would have been nice with some of the rolls I needed to make. The Vornskrs under Kota were 21s! 3PO I am unsure of, but he did help me against James when I was able to Draw Fire. I guess he is best thought of as a 6 point possible bodyguard. I thought the combo of the Speeder, Battery and Deliah worked wonderfully. The noble was very helpful too. I think I liked using him rather than Leia. I got an extra Ug doing so and he isn't unique. I do not recall anyone targeting him as I agressively forced the Speeder and the Battery on my opponent. Deal with them or else. The stategy paid off for the most part. Any suggestions thoug would be appreciated.

Last edited by Lackey on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 150pts Constructed at ACME Games 7-26-08
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Heh...call me Jar Jar...this report should really be under Tournament Results.... :oops:

Post subject: Re: 150pts Constructed at ACME Games 6-26-08
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Heh, well, somebody moved it for ya. :)

On a different note though....You let Steve use an illegal map, since we were supposed to be using the list of GenCon 150 pt maps for practice, and Cloud City is not on that list (Throne Room, Starship, Rancor Pit, Ravaged Base, Yavin Temple, Muunilist...just those 6). Might not have made too much difference though.

Glad to see you beat James. He keeps seeming convinced about that Han/Boba squad, and I thought it was decent in the beginning too, but I'm not so sure now.

EDIT: I keep having similar problems with the Snowspeeder myslef, with missing shots that I think should be easy ones. The +12 is just a tad on the low side in many cases. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LOL - You are right! It probably would not have made too much difference. I was tired by the time the tournament start. Flying to Philly in the morning, having meetings, flying back to Dayton and then driving to the south end of Cincinnati can have a toll on our mental readiness for our competitive tournaments. I am sure I missed other stuff that night too :D . Despite my mental mistakes I thought the squad performed.

Steve is not going to be so lucky next time.... :maul:

Don't expect James to keep that squad much longer. He was very frustrated with its performance by the end of the night (I think he went 2-2 with 1 win a bye).

I can see some nice inmprovements with this squad too on some of the KOTOR stuff coming out. The scientist alone could give the Speeder and the battery Jolt; although I think 9 activiations works very well for 150pts and she would lower that. And if word on Liea being 7 points, she could easily replace some fodder depending on her abilities. We shall see...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:58 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Snowspeeders should be used as a suppliment to Han Cannon, IMO. Especially at 150 you need another big shooter to help him out. I use the speeder's FPs for reroll liberally and seemed to do really well with it when I played it at 200. You played something I never thought of trying, with the turret and Deliah instead of Han. Looks like you did pretty well with it in any case :). I think the speeder does best when you have your opponent worried about two big theats at once, which Deliah and the Turret just dont manage to do, not like Han, Scoundrel would, anyway. But good report and it looks like you had a good time :)