logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 Pt DCI at ACME, Cincinnati, OH 6/19/08
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:09 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We played 200 pt. DCI last night with a total of 12 people, and I decided to give out the new Separatists a try. It's been a while since I've played Seps at 200 points, so I was really looking forward to this, since it's one of my favorite factions. So, here's what I ran:

Darth Tyranus, LOTDS
Aurra Sing, JH
Boba Fett Merc
Lobot
San Hill
Ugo x5

Reinforcements were MTB and 4 Ugos for all 4 games. We went ahead and implemented all the new DCI rules concerning maps and the roll for map/side. I had considered running a squad on Hoth Outpost, but wanted to try out this Sep build. Even with all the chatter from people about not using the Hardboard anymore....I picked Hardboard for my map for the night, and played on 3 out of 4 games.

First game, against StriderRe80. He had a SS B&B, running Lord Vader, Thrawn, Noghri Commando, Nyna, Ozzel, Mas, Wicket 2 Ugos, and filled out the rest with Gran Raiders. He didn't have a map, so we went with the Hardboard. He won the map/side roll, so I got to choose sides, and I took the left, opting for the easy gambit, since his only shooters could hardly damage me. This game went mostly according to plan. In the 2nd round I used Intuition to set up Boba for a Double Cunning on 2 Grans. I knew this would be leaving him somewhat exposed, but I thought it was worth the risk. StriderRe80 somewhat took the bait, and here's where I knew Ozzel would hurt him. He moved up the Noghri and Wicket, and then Thrawn-Swapped Vader into position to kill Boba. This put Vader close enough to move out my Tyranus for the Lightning 4. Which would have worked great except that Vader made his Dark Armor save for the damage....and THEN, rolled a 20 for the activation save. :( So, needless to say, I lost Boba that round. All worked out OK though. I used the MTB to off San Hill on the next round, and then Aurra and Tyranus finished off Vader. At this point, StriderRe offered to concede, but with a decent amount of time on the clock still I said "Nah, let's just play it out." My first mistake. Since San was dead, and the only real damage dealing piece left was the Noghri, I slowly started moving out the MTB. Well, StriderRe took the opportunity, and immediately killed the MTB with Nyna. My 2nd mistake. From that point on, he did an incredible job of swapping pieces back and forth, and slowly putting damage on me. He had some amazing rolls as well, rolling several 19's just to kill Ugnaughts, when both Tyranus and Aurra missed some fairly basic rolls, failing to kill the Noghri. So, the game ended with the Noghri having 10 HP left, and all my pieces eliminated. Just plain dumb mistakes. Lobo 0-1

2nd game was against Lance, who likes running his Boba Fett Merc Commander and Mandos. Admittedly, he's still new to the game, so I know he doesn't have a whole lot besides that. He was running Fett, 2 Mando Troopers, a Gunslinger, a couple Human Scouts, a Human Scoudrel, a Duros Scoundrel, 2 Human Bodyguards, 2 Tusken Raiders, a Duros Explorer, and maybe some other filler. We played on my Hardboard map, and I ended up getting the option for side choice again and took the left side of the map. The 2 Human Bodyguards made my day a real annoyance, as it took me quite a while to finally kill Boba. To top that off, Aurra was darn near worthless this game. I even moved up to make a Blaster Barrage against Boba, a Human BG, and the 2 Tuskens. Aurra rolled a 1 for one of the hits on the Human BG, leaving it alive, and then missed BOTH hits on Boba. Luckily, earlier that same round I had hit Boba with Tyranus' Lightning, and he failed the save 16, so at least I didn't get shot back. I won this game, but I lost Boba and Tyranus was very near dead when it was all done. Lance even pulled off a nice Duros Explorer Spotter +10 hit that I completely missed and walked right into, lol. Would have been a little easier game if I had kept the MTB hidden an extra round or two, as Lance took the easy kill on it immediately when I exposed it. He's learning quickly, and taking any advice I give him to heart and applying it very well from week to week. Lobo 1-1

3rd game against James. Ahh, my main arch-nemesis at ACME. ;) James was trying out a little something new this week, and it didn't work so well for him. He has a tough time using Melee pieces, and it really failed him against me. He was running Boba BH, Luke COTF, Han ST, Dodonna, Lobot, Bothan Noble, with Wicket and Ugs for Reinforcements. I lost the map/side roll, so we played on James' Throne Room map, and I took the left side to keep him from getting first round gambit (ain't I a stinker? ;) ). A lot of positioning the first few rounds. Towards the end of Round 2, James put his Boba and Luke into the center room, and bunched Han, Lobot, Dodonna, the Bothan and an Ugo in the upper right turbolift. This was where I made my fun gamble. I used Tyranus to open up the left door on the center room, and then ran Boba 12 squares into the Throne Room. Win init with the MTB by killing off San, Intuition Boba into position. Boba uses Cunning and Double to kill off the Bothan and Dodonna, and then Tyranus zaps Luke for 50, who fails his activation save even after using a FP. I also had Aurra close by, so after tapping Ugs for most the round until James moved his Boba to chase down mine, THEN I moved in Aurra who Twinned on Luke, and he failed his Deflect save and died. From there it was a matter of chasing down Boba, which would have been easier if I had maneuvered my MTB a bit easier to protect it, but an Ugo got to it thanks to Han's CE in a round or so. Anyways, time ended with Boba having 20 HP left, but within range of both Boba and Tyranus. I also could have finished off Han instead that round. Either way, I was way ahead on points at that point. Lobo 2-1

4th game against Matt. He was running Han ST, Luke COTF, Boba BH, Rebel Commando SL, Elite Rebel Commando x2, Dodonna, and filler. I won map, but I think he had forgot one for the night (we're nice at ACME, no DQ's for lack of map :P), but then I ended up on the right side of the Hardboard. I used Boba's Intuition and the won initiative with the MTB to run Boba across the map and hide him in the Turbolift. I figured he wouldn't be getting any shots on this first round anyways, so I would utilize his long range movement, and not get Ugs killed early in the game just to get gambit. I moved Tyranus and Aurra up through the escape pods. Round 3 was the fun round. I killed off San with the MTB, and then intended to use Boba to kill Luke, but Matt made one of his Deflect saves. It was OK though, since my Tyranus did Lightning on his Fett BH, and he failed the activation save. Aurra put some more damage on Fett, and then when I won init the next round, I finished him off. Luke tried to finish off Boba in the meantime, but missed on the Flurry attack, leaving Fett with 20 HP. Fett died to a ERC though I think. But it didn't matter at that point. Han took a Twin AoO from Aurra to wipe out my MTB and put some damage on both Tyranus and Aurra (Han was a shooting monster this game, but too little too late). But then Han was still within 6 of Aurra so she finished him off. Then Tyranus moved to intercept Luke, and finished off Luke's last 20 HP with a Riposte on the first attack Luke made against him. Tyranus came close to biting the dust, with only like 20 HP left when time was called, but Aurra stll had 100+. Lobo 3-1 for the evening.

Something important that I learned.....once I had killed San off, I was too quick to want to get rid of the MTB as well. I was usually killing San in the 3rd or 4th round, which meant I still had at least 4 Ugs on the board still, as many as 6 a couple times. In fact, in my game against James, I still had one of my reinforcement Ugnaughts left at the very end of the game. So, I need to pay more attention to the clock, and worry less about getting the MTB killed off so quickly. That's what totally ruined me against StriderRe in the first round, and he ended up going undefeated for the rest of the night, and played both James and Matt along the way as well. I ended up in 2nd because of my only loss being to StriderRe, but I'm just kicking myself for either not taking the concede when he tried to offer it, or being so scared of the MTB that I let it get killed early. Just dumb playing on my part in that game.

Other notable squads for the night.....

Lackey ran a 200 point version of his Nyna, Vader Unleashed, Storm Commando, Aurra Sing, and Kel Dors, and he might've had Ozzel in there too. He was doing well until he narrowly lost to a similar squad with 3 Storm Commandos, Vader JH, Thrawn, and Nyna. Outside of that I'm not sure what some of the younger guys were playing as they were never playing near me, and didn't do well enough for me to take notice of specifically what they were running.

Post subject: Re: 200 Pt DCI at ACME, Cincinnati, OH 6/19/08
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:18 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

great read!!!

you live and learn right!!!

those noghri are looking better and better as time goes by!!!

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

Post subject: Re: 200 Pt DCI at ACME, Cincinnati, OH 6/19/08
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yea I was very surprised when the Nogori took out Aurra and brought Dooku down to 30 hp.

I am going to try and make a sqaud around them

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.