All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Which map are you excited to try out in 200
Total votes : 0

Post subject: Which new 200 DCI Map?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So, which of the new maps are you most excited to be playing in 200. Off the bat, I am saying Ruined Base, just. A very good map. I am looking forward to playing on Hoth more often, however.

Post subject: Re: Which new 200 DCI Map?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Thank you, Scott, for bringing the positive side of the DCI Floor Rules change into the open! I think I agree with you on the Ruined Base, b/c, in the past, I remember some very mean things I've done on it before, and can't wait for a replay in 200 pt games!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:43 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I too cant wait to try the ruined base out, but I will probably build squads for all three in the near future

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Of the three, I have enjoyed using the Ruined Base the most - nicely balanced and many tricky angles if you play the doors just right. I don't like the water features in the Yavin map and the left side is at a disadvantage, I think. The Hoth Outpost might be the most fun though with a Han, STA and Snowspeeder quick strike squad - not much to stop them covering the entire map and nowhere for enemy commanders to hide at first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ruined base is still one of my favorite maps and I love playing on it, even if it isn't the best choice for my squad. Overall I'm excited to see what people do with using Echo Base Outpost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:11 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Ruined base is still one of my favorite maps and I love playing on it, even if it isn't the best choice for my squad. Overall I'm excited to see what people do with using Echo Base Outpost.

its a shooters map with few places to hide.
Expect people to use leia/bothan run twin attacking squads.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:48 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I have a hard time believing that they would redrawn the lines on the map since that would be its Third printing already... but I'm not opposed to anything as long as its fair to both players. I was happy to see Mustafar and Geonosis go. I wouldn't mind it being legal if it had more walls, sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Giving the design of Korriban, the only time i've seen it really work as a map is if All cover is considered a wall. Myself and one of my local players played several games Trying several different rules for that map, there still a couple long shot lines, but with all cover = walls, malee least stood a chance of advancing.

and I'm very glad to see Mustafar/Geo go by by, as they were alas just too abusive. Guess i'd best abuse the hell out of em while i get the chance :D

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:01 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dean, 100% yes. The biggest problem with the Korriban map right now is things like absolute initiative control (NTMTO + MTB for instance) and huge first activation strike damage. Squads with Han GH or Han Scoundrel, or heck, even Grand Admiral Thrawn and Hologram Veers are just absolutely devastating on Korriban as it stands right now. Not to mention the sheer frustration that is Super Stealth on that map. Granted, I don't think SS would be quite as bad anymore with several decent Force Sense pieces running around, but even so, it's still a major concern. If you remember the discussion with Chris West about Ossus and other new maps, one of the things that came up was the idea of making sure both sides of a map have at least somewhere 100% safe to set up their pieces for the first round. Korriban has this for neither side, at the moment, but some simple changes would fix it, no problem.

They have already printed 3 different versions of the Mos Eisley map (UM book, League Kit, Saga RPG book) and only one of those is DCI Tourney Legal. Wouldn't be that bad if they had to reprint Korriban with some extra lines. At least that way, people who have the older versions, but can't get a hold of the newer, legal, version could just take a marker to their maps to play it the correct way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:27 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
Dean, 100% yes. The biggest problem with the Korriban map right now is things like absolute initiative control (NTMTO + MTB for instance) and huge first activation strike damage. Squads with Han GH or Han Scoundrel, or heck, even Grand Admiral Thrawn and Hologram Veers are just absolutely devastating on Korriban as it stands right now. Not to mention the sheer frustration that is Super Stealth on that map. Granted, I don't think SS would be quite as bad anymore with several decent Force Sense pieces running around, but even so, it's still a major concern. If you remember the discussion with Chris West about Ossus and other new maps, one of the things that came up was the idea of making sure both sides of a map have at least somewhere 100% safe to set up their pieces for the first round. Korriban has this for neither side, at the moment, but some simple changes would fix it, no problem.

They have already printed 3 different versions of the Mos Eisley map (UM book, League Kit, Saga RPG book) and only one of those is DCI Tourney Legal. Wouldn't be that bad if they had to reprint Korriban with some extra lines. At least that way, people who have the older versions, but can't get a hold of the newer, legal, version could just take a marker to their maps to play it the correct way.

I think Korriban would be much better if many of the green lines were turned into magenta (or whatever color that is). On the KOTOR video game, those fallen pillars are gigantic and they should definitely count as walls.