logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 in Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, after a week's worth of practice, I ended up going with my new favorite "fun" squad, which was labeled "Imperial Bombing Run" by one of the kids at my LGS:

50 Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
39 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter x3
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
17 Storm Commando
08 Wicket
08 Mas Amedda
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

I forgot my maps at home (my wife was rushing me out the door so she could do some shopping while I played), but I grabbed Cloud City at the store before anyone else could.)

Round 1 vs. VAR, Luke LotLS, Wookieee Warrior (? the one from BH), Bossk, filler.

My opponent didn't have a map, either, so we just played on Cloud City. He won side and set up opposite the landing pad. He didn't have any way to deal with SS and so the game was over fairly quick. I manuevered around enough to isolate VAR and finished off the rest of his squad. Vader never did anything the entire game except sit in the visitor's center area, right up to the end.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Kyle Katarn JBM, Han GH, Lobot, Wicket, Ugs xX

Again on Cloud City, I won side and basically made my opponent come to me. There were some wacky dice rolls this game, like when I won init with a 3. My opponent killed Vader, but I killed Kyle, and from there it was just a matter of chasing Han down with my 2 surviving Kel Dors. He couldn't attack if he moved away from them, since they were in cover, so all he could do was leave Han sitting there to die.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Yuuzhan Vong JH x3 (4?), YV Shaper, Boba Mercenary, Ugs.
On Rancor Pit this game, the Force was with me. :P
I kept running up and basing multiple enemy figs, forcing AoOs that resulted in guaranteed damage thanks to Vader's CE. One of the craziest moments during the game is when I baited my opponent with Nyna by putting her within melee distance of a JH. He ran up, and needing 5's to hit, rolled a 2 and a 3. Then Vader moved up and swung. Next, I used init to win me the game, when I rolled a 7 and my opponent rolled a 17. Recon roll: 19. :shock:

Killed the JH adjacent to Nyna and then moved a Kel Dor to harass Boba.

3-0.

After that, we decided to have a play off round since 2 of us were both 3-0. His squad was Aurra Sing, Darth Vader Unleashed, and Cade Skywalker. Despite being on Cloud City, he won. I had 3 bad dice rolls (and I mean BAD, I needed a 3 to hit - twice - and I rolled a 2 with Vader's CE). I lost most every init, and despite completely outactivating my opponent this game, I just couldn't demonstrate to everyone despite my constant attempts to tell them otherwise how a 3-man band is bad for anything over 100 pts.

But I have a whole other thread dedicated to this subject elsewhere, so I won't linger on the subject. All in all I had a good time, and really enjoyed every game I played (except the playoff round), even when I thought I was going to lose (which was pretty much all but the last 10 minutes of matches 2 and 3). I didn't expect the squad to do very much against the Vong, and if my opponent had rolled better he would have pulled it out.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 150 in Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:36 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well Dennis, Despite being a 3-man band, His squad SHOULD have beat yours. That Vader completely beats your best Super Stealth Tactics. And Cade and Aurra are great ranged damage dealers. I'd say that that squad matchup was just against you. I mean, your squad beats a lot of stuff, but it's weakness is that it relies almost entirely on Super Stealth for defense. This is not the only squad you should have had trouble with, Heck Jim's Boba Cannon (which I think is really more of a Fun Build) would have really destroyed you.

For Reference:
Boba BH 62
Han Scoundrel 46/108
Princess Leia of Cloud City 14/122
Bothan Noble 17/139
Obi-Spirit 8/147
Ugo 3/150

Originally he had 2x Bothan nobles in there to get additional attacks, but once he saw Nyna, he changed out for Leia of Cloud City, He knew that if he faced super stealth, that he would need it. Is this squad the most competitive? Certainly not. Does it beat most competitive squads? It has a chance. Does it beat your squad? Almost every time.

You faced an unintentional Hate Squad. It isn't going to win every tournament, and poor play make by his opponents in early rounds undoubtedly allowed him to get to you in the finals, and the deck was stacked against you.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
You faced an unintentional Hate Squad. It isn't going to win every tournament, and poor play make by his opponents in early rounds undoubtedly allowed him to get to you in the finals, and the deck was stacked against you.

Yeah, you're probably right about this. To me, it's kind of like (on a much, much smaller scale of course) trying to tell someone that buying lottery tickets every day for the rest of your life isn't as financially smart as investing in stock and bond options if your goal is to suddenly come into a bunch of money and then watch as that person scores the jackpot on the third try. :roll:

It's like all of that effort and all of that common sense and experience just went right out the window because I obviously don't know what the hell I am talking about.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:08 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Pretty ballsy of you to trot out that squad and expect to be able to sweep the tourney. Super Stealth or not, there are plenty of builds stronger than your's.

I've been the old man at a few venues and I like to think I've been able to teach the younger players a thing or two, but I'd be lying if I said they haven't been able to surprise me from time to time. The great thing about this game is that the variables in it make it so that a player who has never played before with a half decent build can beat an experienced player.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

R5Don4 wrote:
Pretty ballsy of you to trot out that squad and expect to be able to sweep the tourney. Super Stealth or not, there are plenty of builds stronger than your's.

I really didn't expect to win a single game. I think I said that in my report.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:53 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:

I really didn't expect to win a single game. I think I said that in my report.

come now. you didn't expect to win one game?! i find that a little hard to believe. but i do enjoy the topic at hand, just proves that there are so many different ways to win. which is what i love.