logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 const tourney at Village Games (First Ever)
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Village's first ever and my first ever(with real minis anyway) 150 tourney.

So, since we never have done this before I was worried about what to play and who was going to play what. I decided I wanted to give Vong a try. I tried a version out against Boris on Vassal Thursday with 5 JH, Yomin, Shaper and 3 uggies. He played Vader COTS SS with Calixte and 3 Kel Dor's. I ended up winning, but was outplayed, outmanuvered, and would of lost if Vassal did not love me so. From this though Boris told me I probably didn't need the Shaper and the more I thought about it the more I thought he was right. I knew VonBickle (if I played him) would probably be my toughest opponent. I also knew that he had played a Han Stormie Ith squad about 5 times in the GPL and figured he would play that, but decided not to build just against his squad(this was a bad idea). We end up with 8 people, which is cool. I decided on this-

3 Vong JH
Yomin
Nom Anor
Wicket
Lobot
I brought a lot of different options for reinforcements, but ended up with 4 Gran and an uggie for all 3 matches
Muunilist for map

1st match I draw VonBickle's 9 year old daughter. This can only end bad for me. Win, I am beating a 9 year old girl. Lose, and I would have to sell all my plastic. She has Han Stormie, Ith Cmd, Dodonna, Shaak Ti JM, Princess Leia, Juno, assorted AA's and Uggies on her map of Chancellors starship. 1st couple of rds are posturing. She has Ith and dodonna isolated in the bottom left room. I send 2 Vong JH to get them and use the reinforcement Grans to play up as many AA's as possible. Han meets the 2 Vong in the hall way and Han becomes a Vong JH sandwich. Shaak never really did to much. I think she managed to kill Yomin at the end before time, but it was too late. I spent most of the time teaching and helping her so she wouldn't drive her Dad nuts :wink: . It was fun and low key and she really has a good grasp of the game, just not all the combos and abilities.
1-0

2nd match I get VonBickle. Yep, he has Luke LOTS, Han Stormie, Ith Cmd Dodonna and a ton of AA's Gran's and Uggie's on his map of Ravaged Base. He's outside. I move to middle and hide my 2 Vong JH that don't have stealth. He moves 2 uggies to try to open the doors. Nom picks one off and the other runs away. I have what I wanted, the lead and solid defense of gambit and he has to come to me with my SS. I move out with Lobot left and check out what he has left and see the 1 uggie who activated and a pile of swarm guys . I move Lobot to close the outside middle door to force is squad through the outsides. Suddenly, in the middle of about 8 figs a little red uggie pops out. :roll: Great, I didn't see him and now he is able to blast the door and Luke drops Lobot. Now I am down 27 points and have to go on the offensive to get the points before time runs out. This is EXACTLY what I didn't want to happen and now I have to go on the offensive. Lesson learned. I kill some of his guys he kills some of mine. I can't overcome the 27 points in the time. 1-1

3rd match I draw some guy who is playing....wait for it....Han Stormie, Ith Cmd, Dodonna, R2, Lobot, a crap load of AA's and BBSV for his reinforcements on my map. I get open side and move my Grans to the middle followed by the Vong JH and everyone else pretty bunched. He moves out some AA's. 2nd rd I base some AA's with my Grans. He does charging fire to reach my Vong and my Gran crits. He tries nades and I make the saves. I am able to mow through is AA's with the Vong until he concedes.
2-1

Well, I am pretty happy overall. I can't believe I played 3 similiar squads (especially since my first squad choice was going to be Kyle BM and Han GH, I just couldn't play Kyle again after 2 pre-releases :P ) I really do believe that the shaper is not needed. Which is kinda sad in a way. I really need to learn how to play for points in an hour. I still think too much how to defeat their big baddie and that is a bad mindset for competitive play.

Post subject: Re: 150 const tourney at Village Games (First Ever)
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:15 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Very nice to hear about yet another venue popping up. I'm always happy to hear that our game is growing. Nice report by the way, I can only hope that your venue grows. Best of Luck.

ImageImage