logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 Pt LS vs DS at ACME, 5/8/08
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Last night at ACME we decided to run a modified LS/DS tournament. Each person brough a 200 point squad, but it could be built using any of the 4 Light Side (OR, Rep, Reb, NR) or 4 Dark Side (Sith, Sep, Imp, Vong) Factions. No Fringe were allowed, but Mandos were allowed for either the Light or Dark sides (hey, they're mercenaries for hire, right?).

We only had 6 people show up total, but we had quite a bit of fun.

I decided to have some fun with Greater Mobile Attack, so I ran:

General Windu
Han GH
Luke LOTLS
R2-Astromech
Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun
General Dodonna
Mas Amedda

Here's what some of the other squads were (as close as I can remember them, anyways):

DMLackey:
General Windu
Han Scoundrel
Bothan Noble
Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun
Elite Rebel Commando
General Dodonna
Luke Force Spirit
R2-Astromech
Mas Amedda

Kyle:
General Windu
Shado Vao
Mara Jedi
Tarfful
Mas

James:
Han GH
Mara Jedi
R2-Astromech
Verpine Tech
Rebel Commando SL
Elite Reb Commando x2
Leia of Cloud City
Dodonna

Matt:
Nomi
Han GH
Luke Force Spirit
Yoda of Dagobah
(can't remember the rest...I didn't play against him)

Josh:
Bastilla
Republic Commando Training Sargeant
Sev x3
Rebel Commando Strike Leader
Cor Sec Officer

The first round, I faced Kyle. Some bad placement on his part allowed me to take out Mas on the very first round with a R2-towed Han, which made a big difference for me. I gambled with my Rauntaun to win init, and get Spotter on Mara, but Han missed the 2nd and 3rd shtos, only doing 50 total to Mara. Luckily, Kyle forgot about the lack of Mas in that round, and advanced Shado out of Mace's CE range to wail on Luke. Luckily, that left Luke alive until the following round. Still was a hard fought battle. Han hit very little at all the whole game. Kyle used a turn with Mace to Shatterpoint on my Mace. I decided to spend the time wailing on Shado instead. So, here comes the triple. First attack roll: 18. Woot! He rolls a Block....16. Argh. OK, 2nd attack roll: 19. No way! He rolls block again....19! :( My 3rd roll....another 18! So, I at least got to put 40 on Shado that round, and it actually drained all his FPs, but blocking two crits REALLY hurt. I finally killed Shado and in the final round, I luckily won init. But it wouldn't be enough. My Mace only had 40 left, so any hit from his Mace would kill me. Luckily, his Mace only had 20 left. So, I put two hits on Tarfful, and then one on his Mace. He riposted for the crit to finish off both Mace's at once. Unfortunately for me, all I had left was Dodonna at that point, and he just couldn't finish off Tarfful's last 30 HP. Was an awesome game though. So, after first round, Lobo 0-1. The other winners that round were Lackey and James.

2nd Round, I get the lucky bump up in the standings and face James. I knew his Mara/Jolt combo would be brutal, but even worse was his Triple Override. Good placement for me in the first round kept my R2 safe, but I lost him the 2nd round, and there just wasn't much I could do about it. I managed to make enough decent moves to get Mace some attacks against Mara, but he just couldn't finish her off. Then, of course, James won init the next round, wailed on Mace, and caused him to be activated (failed the save and FPRR). At that point, since we were playing on Throne Room, James played a lot of door games with me. Luckily, I managed to set myself up with an open door at the end of a round, hoping to win init, and I did. That let my Han kill his Mara. From there, James had to kill Mace in order to win within the time limit, and he just couldn't finish him off. So, Lobo 1-1. The other winners that round were Lackey and Matt.

3rd Round I faced Lackey who was undefeated to this point. I was scared early on, as he pulled off a brilliant hairline LOS on my R2 with Han, and rolled VERY well (needing 12's) to get the kill. Lucky for me, I won init and my Han was able to kill R2 and the Elite Rebel Commando, and then my Luke killed his Rauntaun. From that point on, I managed to keep both Han Scoundrel and Mace occupied enough that my Rauntaun never got touched, AND was within 6 squares of both of those pieces for the rest of the game. So, I won, I think, all the rest of the inits, which, obviously, made a huge difference. Mace went down to sustained fire from Han and Luke, and maybe a finishing hit or two from Mace. Although Lackey's Mace did finish off Han GH before he went down. Han Scoundrel finally managed to take down Mace (Lackey rolled great attacks all game long), but he didn't have enough HP to last against Luke by that point, especially since I won the last initiative and took Han's last 40 HP with a Spotter shot. One of the things I thought was kind intelligent on my part throughout the game is that I used both my Mas and General Dodonna to hamstring Han Scoundrel by basing him. Then, he either had to waste shots to kill the scrub first, and then shoot someone else with the Double, or move away, losing Double. So either, in two different rounds, Han only got 2 shots off at my main pieces. I lost Mas and Dodonna for it, but it didn't matter at that point.

For my troubles for the evening I walked away with one of the sweet new Twi'lek Scout Promos and a Mandalorian Gunslinger. I already had both the Rs we pulled in the 2 prize boosters, so I figured I would rather have the Mando and let the other guys who needed the Rs have them. ;)

Was very fun overall, and quite interesting trying to come up with squads. All of us were surprised that nobody ended up playing a DS squad. I guess the lure of General Windu and other multi-attackers was more powerful than the dark side. :P

Post subject: Re: 200 Pt LS vs DS at ACME, 5/8/08
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:19 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Interesting format Lobo, My venue always plays standard DCI. Sometimes I think that we would be better off if we did more fun style events, but it isn't what the majority of people want. :(

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: 200 Pt LS vs DS at ACME, 5/8/08
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We've been trying to mix things up here and there, and we usually throw in at least one odd type of format once a month. Just kind of depends on what everyone feels like doing. We'll go through stretches sometimes where we do nothing but standard DCI for weeks at a time (at varying point levels of course), but we do like to throw in the occasional Tile Wars, no-Faction, etc. type things.