logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Dynamic Dou on Tile Wars at ACME, Cincinnati, OH (5/1)
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Since LoboStele could not make it this week, I thought I would pass along the results of our weekly tournament at ACME. The build challenge this week was Dynamic Dou. Instead of maps we decided to use tiles just like in Tile Wars. When you think about it, why the need for the big map when there are only two minis per squad playing (no offense JC ;) )...

One quick comment about this format - it is quick!!! Granted we only had 7 players last night, but 3 rounds were completed and prizes was handed out by 8:45pm - a little over an hour after our 7:30pm starting time. Average length of each round was about 10 minutes. If you are short on time, this is a great format!

I decided to try one of the new options for DD: Darth Krayt and Jariah Syn. For my tile I choose Shattered Pillar.

The 1st round I played against Brian Re whose team contained: Darth Nihl and Boba Fett, Merc. Brian made the mistake of leaving Nihl in the front which afforded Jariah full benefit of his special abilities. Between the double cunning, jedi hunter attacks from Jariah and a well placed Lightning from Kryat, Nihl was hurting badly at the end of the 1st round. Boba though proved difficult and Brian managed to take out Jariah with a double cunning attack. Krayt chased Boba around picking at him and honestly this game could have went either way at the last round. Boba takes his double cunning attack on Krayt leaving him with only 40 points (Boba had 40 points too) after using Intuition to pull away from Krayt. I move Krayt up and roll the luckly critical hit to end the game. I am sure I would have lost Initiative too the next round, so a very close game nonetheless. Lackey 1-0

Round 2 I played Brandon who was running the classic Darth Bane & Lando, Dashing squad. I was interested in seeing how my dou would handle Bane. I force Brandon to go first and he moves Bane up, but does not open the door on the Dentention Block tile, so being aggressive (it's my biggest weakness in this game), I run Krayt up to open the door thinking maybe I could pop Bane twice with Jariah. No, Lando comes down and attempts an opportunist attack on Krayt which lunkily misses and I am left doubling on Lando who manages to evade once. The next round Bane comes into play and assaults Kryat with Sith Rage. Thank the maker for Crab Armor which helped reduce the damage a little! Jariah nails Bane twice for a total of 60 damage and Krayt lands all three attacks for another 60 points. Lando misses again, poor guy... I end up winning initiative, which I believe truely saved me as Krayt was dead otherwise. With 80 left on Bane, I had Jariah do the task he was meant to do in this squad - and doubled on Bane for a total of 80 points, killing the Dark Lord. At that point Lando was toast and the match quickly ended. Lackey 2-0

The last round of the night, I was pitted against James who also was running Bane and Lando with the Dentention Block tile. James too kept Bane from opening any doors and with last match still fresh in my head, I again moved Krayt up to open the door. Lando once again misses, and then evades both of Jariah's attacks. Here is where things change from the last round. James wins initiative and decides to keep Bane back throwing the lightsaber instead going for the melee. James of course lands a crit on his lightsaber throw, which even with the Crab Armor does a deadly 70 points to Krayt. I move Jariah up to get a single attack on Bane and hope for the best the next round. Lando nails Jariah with Opportunist and I have Kryat throw some lightning at Bane. Knowing the next round was going to be painful, I held on to some hope for an Initiative win. Hope was crushed as James wins Initiative and moves Bane in for an assualt. He lands both attacks killing Krayt. Jariah manages his attack on Bane before Lando finishes him off with an Opportunist attack. Lackey ends 2-1 and with 2nd place for the tournament.

Squads played for the tournament:

2 squads of Krayt and Jariah
3 squads of Bane and Lando
1 squad of Nihl and Boba
1 squad of Revan and Quarren Assassion (I think)

--End of War Journal