logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The New Sith- Weak?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:39 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

We all have had enough time to play the new sith figures by now, and I wonder: Are we getting a better non-unique sith or a GOOD cheap sith unique? As of now, the sith from LOTF are intresting, but not competative. I don't want to be broad about them all, so here's my little summary of each figure and where the shortcommings are.

Darth Cadeus- While tricky and powerful in his own right, he is difficult to build around in anything less than 200. He's also a little overcosted, IMO. 110 HP and only double. Now to be fair, illusion is cool, and he has rage, assult, and flow-walking, along with poison dart. But still, not that amazing overall.

Darth Krayt- I love the figure, but he is also difficult to build around. Talon is an intereting for his CE, but you then loose loner, which sucks. He is powerful, but only standing still triple attacking, or using lightning. He has a nice defensive abilitiy with crab armor 6, but still, like Cadeus, he doesn't stand out much to be useful for the points.

Darth Nihl- Not impressive either. He is kinda like a sith corran horn, with a crappy CE. Not worth his points, for now.

Darth Talon- While a great miniature, she needs a little more to be worth it. Sith rage or ranged attack with lightsaber would make her, IMO.

Lumiya, the Dark Lady- Another great mini. While she has plenty of SAs, she just isn't powerful enough like nihl or talon.

Overall, as a casual player, I like the majority of the sith here. But in the competative area, bane, kun, and mabe Revan are the only ones that can come close. I really hope the sith get a great, cheap non-unique to utalize with nihl and krayt. As for now, no such luck.

Anyone disagree with me or share my hopes of further improvement to the sith?

Share your thoughts.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject: Re: The New Sith- Weak?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:50 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have been playing the new sith for about the past 3 weeks, and I like them. They can not be competitive strictly looking at how much they cost alone. If there is one you would want to build around it would be Lumiya. I think she is under rated. She can get to enemy figures then cause some good damage once she works her way to them.

Talon is kinda annoying do to how little damage she can put out. She is a cool figure and buble is an insane ability.

I agree that they can not be competitive just because of how much they cost to be in your squad. There is not much left over for support.

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I think the latest batch of Sith are much more finesse characters than the brute force ones from the last round. They do take some getting used to and overall, I think are better than they look on paper.

Darth Krayt - not as tough as he might seem with the crab armor. It does keep him around a bit, but with so many 20-30 or more damage characters, he still will take a beating if you want to get him in position to triple. Part of the issue I've seen is so many people focus all their attacks on him to try and defeat him quickly. Due to the high cost, really only effective in 150 or more.

Darth Talon - my favorite of the new Sith so far. If you keep her out of range long enough to build up some Force points, the Bubble can be devastating. She can pop in and do her damage and run away without any concern for AoO unless it is a crit. She forces any melee enemies to move to attack her thus losing multiple attacks often. Lightning is nice to finish off a piece from range although I usually pop in for a twin attack if I'm that close anyway and save FP for Bubble. +15 with loner is good odds to hit against most. Great fun when paired with the BBSV to gain Evade.

Lumiya - could become my favorite. She is such a pain to kill with evade for the ranged attacks. MR3 keeps her away from the multiple melee attacks and allows her to move away when she needs to. Regen when possible and Push people for quick damage. When she really gets close to being defeated, move in for the self-destruct 40 to wreak havoc on enemy pieces who usually are rather injured by then as well.

Darth Nihl - haven't played him, but have played against him. Not anything special from what I've seen other than an alternative to other melee pieces. The Flurry and his CE are nice gimmicks, but you can't truly base a squad build around it.

Caedus - he hasn't proven to me in the novels he deserves to be called Darth yet. Haven't seen him in action on the minis board yet though, so can't really comment further at this time. His tricks seem like they could be effective, but situational.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:09 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I agree, Sith are GREAT in a casual format. They are all cool badasses who can "do neat things" time after time. I think everyone except maybe Nihl have a great fun-factor going for them.

Competitively, however, they fall short. If anyone here plays or has played magic, I think the best comparison with Sith are large fatties, like Dragons or Angels. Everyone likes to play them, but at the competitive level they are just too expensive even if they'll win you the game in two turns.

However, who knows if KoTOR will support the faction with sufficient fodder troops to make a squad competitive? It probably likely they will get a boost simlar to mandos in Legacy, but will it be enough? Manadalorians still aren't competitive even with some decent extra pieces this set around.

I wonder what it would take to make the sith competitive? Do they need 5 point fodder? Do they need a Force Battery? Can the dark side of the force ever be competitive against the current vong? Do they need gimmicks, like override, swap, San style init control, etc? Personally, I think an ability as follows would help -> "Dark Side Cheats - you may bring 10% more points in your squad than allowed to by the rules" Or maybe to encourage their beatstickyness, some sort of way to increase the survivability of these large beats. Like "Sith Clone Vault - 25 points, when one of your unique figures is defeated, roll a D20, on a save of 11, remove clone vault from the board (it is considered defeated) and the defeated figure is placed in the squre that SIth Clone Vault was located in"

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

They are definitely closer, but not quite there yet. The Mandos got a huge shot in the arm, and I fully believe they can be competitive at the 200 point level now. They're still a bit too dependent on decent dice rolls for my tastes, but even so, they have higher attack values than a large majority of ranged pieces through out the game, so I can't complain too much.

The problem with the Sith, is that out of the 5 new pieces we got, Darth Krayt has the highest attack at a +14, unless you count Talon's +15 with Loner. Even so, a +15 attack on a Unique piece is barely good enough against many other high end Uniques, especially the other big popular pieces like Bane, Kun, Vader JH. Against non-melee pieces it's not quite as bad, since most of those don't have more than a 20 Defense, but then comes the 2nd problem. Damage output per round. Caedus is the only one of the new Sith that can pump out a considerable amount of damage in one round (up to 120 with Flow Walk and Sith Rage). But that takes a decent number of Force Points, and he is so Fragile that you are often very lucky if you can get off something like that. And that's when his +13 attack really hurts him as well, as he'll end up missing probably 1 in every 3 or 4 attacks depending on the target.

I think if the KOTOR set adds some new lower-end pieces then things might shape up. Perhaps things like the Gloom Walkers from the Bane novel, or new (read: better) Force using grunts. That's one of the biggest problems the Sith have so far. The newest Uniques are only so-so, but ALL of the non-Uniques for the Sith Faction are just awful. The only competitive use of Sith non-Uniques that I've seen lately are the Sith Assault Droids with Revan, and even then I'd call that borderline.

I have no doubt we'll see some more boosts to the faction this summer (we already know we're getting Malak). At this point though, I really think the strength of the faction is going to be in new non-Uniques, so we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The new pieces haven't helped all that much outside of the fun factor, but I bet Rob had this set up as Part 1/2. I can't wait to see what summer brings for both Mandos and Sith. Not that I play them much, but they have so much character as a faction.

Talon is the most versatile of the pieces, I've found Nihl and Krayt to be little more than distractions against well built squads. At least Lady and the Talon can hang around for a bit vs good squads.

Caedus is just a giant gimmick and while he's a finesse piece he does nothing but irritate me. He's probably good as the anti-crutch piece. If you can win convincingly with him then you're a great player :lol:

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:25 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Out of the new Sith, Talon is my favorite mainly because of Force Bubble and her ability to stand on her own. I seldom divide my forces, but with her, she can withstand a round or two of heavy attacks (provided she has enough force points).

Lumiya would be my second choice just because she is a pain to bring down (high hit points, stealth, evade) and when she does go down she usually takes someone with her.

Krayt seems to be a blaster magnet. I agree with Squid89 in that he becomes priority target #1. Crab armor is nice, but when taking a double-cunning attack from a Han or Boba, Merc. most of the damage will get through.

I have not used Caedus thus far, but he does seem to be a little overpriced with his low hit points and low attack.

I have not used Darth Nihl yet either, but I think he fills the role of low-mid range beatstick. He has deflect so he can fend off an attack or two and force lightning 1 is nice to take out low hit point enemies from afar.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:43 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I share your optomism punxnbutter. I hope that the sith will improve with the new KOTOR set, which in all sense, they should.

The sith from this set all in all seem to be underpowered, overcosted, or have bad attack and poor damage output.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

It would seem to me that the sith are a minor faction at this point as far as number of figures go, and therefore they will have fewer options. In KotoR it may change. I would hope so anyway, the more competitve squads that go into the meta the better.

ImageImage