logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Odds, how would you handle them?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So here is a "what if" thread. Read the 3 situations and thing about what you would do.

1) You are playing a squad that contains Cade Skywalker. You manage to get a LOS early on on a full health Grand Admiral Thrawn that is in cover. Do you take it? You need to roll above a 6, 4 times in a row. If you miss one then you know Cade will take a serious beating.

2) You are playing a LV B&B squad against a Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and Han Solo GH squad. Kyle has 90 HP left and it is the end of a round. You get the opportunity to swap into base with Kyle and kill him with LV. Han is within 6 as well is Mara. If you win the initiative then you can kill Han and well and then swap out. If you lose however, Vader dies. Do you take the opportunity to take out 104 points of their squad at the risk of losing LV?

3) You are playing a Boba Fett RS with 40 HP against a JWM with 40 HP left. Do you take the chance and double attack for the kill? You'd need 2 7's. Or do you fly away?

I was just curious what the limit of odds you guys play in a competitive match.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject: Re: Odds, how would you handle them?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:27 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

well to answer your what if's really will depend on the type of day i'm having. (my odds are usually pretty predictable i've noticed.. i'll go a day and roll consistent bleh, meh or OMFG KEWL! but never a decent mix). Now presuming mediocre rolls all day.

1. OH hell yeah i'd take it. chance to take down thrawn from across the board, plus the odds of rolling under a 6 with FP reroll for one is slim enough that it's worth the chance of crippling a thrawn squad.

2. Depending on what versions of Kyle and Jade your talking about there. If it's battle master and Jade jedi. Not a chance in hell.. for one thing you can't swap in and base for max dam on kyle due to distruptive, and if you fail init, good bye LV to MJ Jedi. If it's old kyle fig and new MJS, I'd consider it, but i'd rather rush in, kill han GH, garenteeing init to kill kyle then swap out.

3. Are you INSANE.. FLY AWAY man.. odds of hitting double against a JWM is just too slim.. better to fly out of range and try from range next round

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:39 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

In Situation one, first off no re-roll. You still Take the shot. Thrawn is 37 points with a really good Swap ability.

2nd Situation: If POSSIBLE this is what I do. Move THRAWN to within 6 of Kyle and Mara and swap Vader in for the kill. Mara CANNOT Lightsaber Assault Him back with the Force Bubble. And Vader Would answer with A kill on Han if you win Initiative. Lord Vader can swap in for maximum Damage against Disruptive pieces because 7 away can move 6 to base and THEN LS assault SITH RAGE. Still you need 10's to even hit Kyle. I probably do the Assault on Mara Instead (since they are all packed so nicely together) Kyle cant do NEAR as Much Damage to Vader as Mara can.

3rd Situation depends on his force points if he has 2 or more I shoot, 1 I move, 0 I move.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't think your scenarios provide enough information, but I will take a stab at it. ;)
thejumpingflea wrote:
So here is a "what if" thread. Read the 3 situations and thing about what you would do.

1) You are playing a squad that contains Cade Skywalker. You manage to get a LOS early on on a full health Grand Admiral Thrawn that is in cover. Do you take it? You need to roll above a 6, 4 times in a row. If you miss one then you know Cade will take a serious beating.

Yes. Absolutely. Cade will probably take a serious beating without doing this regardless.
The real question is how many points are we talking about, and what are Cade's allies?

Quote:
2) You are playing a LV B&B squad against a Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and Han Solo GH squad. Kyle has 90 HP left and it is the end of a round. You get the opportunity to swap into base with Kyle and kill him with LV. Han is within 6 as well is Mara. If you win the initiative then you can kill Han and well and then swap out. If you lose however, Vader dies. Do you take the opportunity to take out 104 points of their squad at the risk of losing LV?

I presume this means the new SS B&B squad with LV, Wicket, and Nyna backed up by SCs.

The question is: can I reach Han INSTEAD of Kyle, even if means moving 8 for a LS Assault strike? If not, I probably wouldn't risk getting pentupled on. I would just position for the next round as best I could and then swap in. Killing Han MUST be the first priority.

Quote:
3) You are playing a Boba Fett RS with 40 HP against a JWM with 40 HP left. Do you take the chance and double attack for the kill? You'd need 2 7's. Or do you fly away?

Fly, you fools! :P

Seriously, unless you have a way to combine fire to reduce that number below 7, it's better to fly away 12 and then double next round, when you know the JWM can't reach your Boba.
I was just curious what the limit of odds you guys play in a competitive match.[/quote]

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:16 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

thejumpingflea wrote:

This was the final 3 rounds of Dr Divot's and my game at last years Gencon. I had 3 chances to attack and kill his Boba BH with 40 HP (I had two damaged JWM with 1/2 FP). In addition to lossing all 3 inits, I was unable to hit Boba.

The odds are always an interesting discussion. The issue becomes more practical when there are only 4 rolls that really matter. Odds goes out the window and it becomes luck (when all else is equal, the person who wins the lucky roll will win the game).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:00 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

1) You are playing a squad that contains Cade Skywalker. You manage to get a LOS early on on a full health Grand Admiral Thrawn that is in cover. Do you take it? You need to roll above a 6, 4 times in a row. If you miss one then you know Cade will take a serious beating. Thrawn must die; I'd take all 4 shots.

2) You are playing a LV B&B squad against a Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and Han Solo GH squad. Kyle has 90 HP left and it is the end of a round. You get the opportunity to swap into base with Kyle and kill him with LV. Han is within 6 as well is Mara. If you win the initiative then you can kill Han and well and then swap out. If you lose however, Vader dies. Do you take the opportunity to take out 104 points of their squad at the risk of losing LV? 9/10 times I'd go after Han GH with an extra 2 squares of movement.

I'd probably shoot once and fly 6 depending on FP and proximity for the JWM. I wouldn't want to push the game into one of initiative when I could just lose the next round and get beatdown if the JWM is already adjacent

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:41 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

First off, a great deal of this game is understanding the odds and knowing when to risk it or not. Good puzzle idea!

thejumpingflea wrote:

Impossible to answer without more squad details. But in general, its usually a good idea to shoot thrawn if you get the chance. But as you said, "early" in the round, I take two shots, see what happens and then most likely run away for the time being.

thejumpingflea wrote:

If you attack Kyle you shouldn't be playing B&B. That's a major, major mistake. You attack Han and Han only in this situation if he is anywhere near the battle. You have LV, there is no excuse not to get to him, even if its a move of 10 just for a twin. Kyle can't hurt you unless you base him and lose init. So why on earth would you ever base a Kyle with Han on the table? Kill Han, then when you win init, you can attack Mara and swap away. Kill Mara next time (if you didn't the first time) and leave Kyle until last. By that time the game is over.

thejumpingflea wrote:
Well how close am I to the JWM? Does he have fps for deflect? And if he deflects will that be his last fp so he cannot assault me? Generally you would take the shots, but if its a JWM with more than 1 fp and within 6, you take one shot see what happens, and then likely move 6 away.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:09 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I can't believe that nobody has said this yet:

"Never Tell Me The Odds!"

Anyways, from a purely statistical standpoint, here is the breakdown the first scenario:

A roll of 6 or more is a 3/4 chance. Therefore, rolling it 4 times means you will, with average luck, hit only three times. However, you can re-roll once, and that 5th shot will have a 3/4 chance of hitting. THEN you have to consider the possibilities of criticals. You have a 1/20 chance of rolling a crit, but since you are rolling 5 times, that is 5/20, or 1/4 chance.
So you need 4/5 or 80% of your rolls to hit, at a 3/4 or 75% chance each, which makes a 60% chance of hitting 4 times, and a 1/4 or 25% chance of one roll being a critical.

So what does this all mean? Absolutely nothing. In the end, luck is always going to be the deciding factor. That's why I have rigged dice :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:30 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Actually with Vader on Han you only need 5's and in that case also you only need 3 hits, but no re-rolls 4 hits doesnt kill him without rage (90 hp)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

thejumpingflea wrote:

I'd at least fire off 2. I might crit. The rest will would depend on how much of a beating Cade would take and what Thrawn is forced to do as a result of the attacks.

Quote:

Needing 10's chances are you will miss 2 hits. Its really not worth it. However, you can't make this decision based on the above info. It all depends on your squad make up, points, time and figures left.
At the very least your risking Vaders life (and your game) pretty much on a 50/50 roll (init). Its not good odds.

Quote:

been there and done that. Take the kill, if you fly, he runs and bases (or at least gets into assault range) and your back to square 1 and risking init (unless there is a pit to fly over where you have the game won anyway). Its up to the die gods. With close to 2 out of every 3 being hits your not in bad shape.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:15 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

thejumpingflea wrote:

1. Cade vs Thrawn. I'd definately take the first two shots, and if both hit, I'd PROBABLY take the second two. Lots of factors to consider. Force immunity means no rerolls. A 10hp thrawn is just as dangerous as 80 hp. At the same time, Cade, not having accurate, isn't all that great against most Thrawn squads, so use him to the best of his ability I guess.

2. ONLY if it was close to time and I NEEDED those 104 points to win. Kyle is NOT the threat. Mara kinda is, and Han GH is the counter piece. I probably won't risk it for Mara, but absolutely for Han.

3. Depends on terrain, and the current score and time. I have the better piece at this point, so just letting the dice decide isn't the way to go. Flying away 12 almost always can find some terrain that is to my advantage. If there is a way to fly 6 and make it take 9 squares to base me, then I get an advantage. The goal is to get more shots than him, even if I lose inits.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:22 am 
General
General

1) Take 2 shots, if those hit look around for combined fire possibilities (even using a good second shooter as one if needed) for the other 2 shots. Regardless, if the first 2 hit, I would take the final 2. If one misses, then Cade is running (if it would lead to his survival, if not, then he is sitting and shooting some more).

2)Too risky for my blood, I would gun for Mr NTMTO first. I should be able to LS Assault him if I can swap in base of Kyle *and* be within 6 of Han per the wording.

3)Use terrain to your advantage if possible and move Boba Fett outside of move 12/14 + LS Assault range. If not, then Boba should just shoot because regardless Boba will be in the same situation the next round.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

1. Mabe, depending on what else is there. Most likely however, no. The odds of that are not looking good, especially if I'm within 6 of him.

2. NO.

3. Yes, but only if the JWM has no FPs left, and I cannot move up to 12 squares across diffult terrign, low objects, or a pit to escape the JWM.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

1. I would most likly take the first two shots and see where that gets me, I personally would never waste an opportunity to rip the legs right from underneath a thrawn swap squad.

2. Without a doubt I would go after Han like stated earlier Kyle isn't the threat here, Han is the counter piece he needs be the primary target.

3. I would have to say fly away in the circumstance, get some disntance between you and the Wep Master and then fire away.