logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cape Comicon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:33 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Alright we had 12 players at this years Comicon, and I must say with a Case of prize support we all knew we were getting a rare going into it. This really took some pressure off because I knew I wasn't wasting money:p

My Squad:
Lord Vader
Thrawn
Nyna
2x Storm Commmandos
Mas Ameda
Wicket
6x Gran Raider

I came into this tournament with a 7-2 win-loss record, my only losses coming to 1 my fiance, and 2 an AA swarm squad using leia HC, Han ST, and the Ithorian Commander.

Round 1 Luke Vs Dis1

Dis 1's Squad
San Hill
2x Telosian Tank droid
BDO
Geonosian Overseer
Deliah Blue
Human Body Gaurd
Lobot
Darth Sidious
Uggies.

I won Map lost side, Throne Room. I set up not on Gambit side.

His strategy was to Pawn the tanks for Quad's with splash 10. Unfortunately he had no Initiative control, so I was able to Swap in Vader late in a round and take out 1 tank and then open the round by droping another tank (although he did nail vader for 100 damage). This game was a pretty close one, but I pulled it out.

1-0

Round 2 vs Matt

Matt's Squad:
Kyle Katarn JB
Han Solo GH
Mara Jade Jedi
general dodonna
Lobot
Luke Spirit

I won Map, lost Side
Throne room (I was on Gambit side)

Again this game gave me some headaches, but I was able to pick off activations early with SC's and wicket. I was able to tempt him with a Target of a SC, and he split his squad before I swapped the SC away. I also got a really cool shot on Lobot and took him out early, Kyle going with Mara, and Han Going the Other way. I swapped in with wicket within 6 and assaulted Mara. I was able to keep winning Initiative and Vader was able to beat Kyle Fairly quickly with Support fire from the SC's. At that point I had him out activated. So I ran 2 grans to opposite sides of Han in Cover 7 Squares away. He won Initiative and killed one, I then Moved the other to 7 away and swapped in Vader, Lightsaber Assault Sith Rage Game!

2-0

Game 3 vs Jon_B86

Jon's Squad:
Jaina
Han Rogue
Kyle
Mara
Lobot
Dodonna
Ugs.

Lost map, Won Side
Hardboard I had gambit side. He set up in the lower corner of the map

He won Initiative and forced me to go first. I ran a gran into gambit, and another gran 12 squares to a spot with cover. He moved Dodonna (in an attempt to Out activate me) and passed the turn. I moved Thrawn to within 6 of the Gran in cover (Thrawn was out of LoS of his force) and swapped in an SC. I unleashed a double attack on Jaina +13 for 40. Both Attacks hit, and he had no deflects. This REALLY crushed his morale. He approached fairly quickly but Vader beats Kyle in melee and I force bubbled Mara Jade so no Lightsaber assaults. HE did make a good move with Han to block Sc Shots on Kyle but to no avail.

3-0

Round 4 vs Greg Falter:

Gregs Squad:
Jabba Crimelord
Nyna
Veers
Mas
Kel Dor Bounty Hunters x alot.
ugos x a few.

Same Map and side as the previous match. Early on he based an SC, but because of my initiative control I took the AoO (20 damage on my SC) stepped Back and popped the Kel Dor for 40. He ran another up to take it's place, so I hit it with a gran for 20, later when he decided to move it Gran hit an AoO and blew it up( with the gran.) The Game Changer was that with all the Superstealth, He allowed me a shot on Mas Ameda. I hit and defeated Mas (Bye-Bye Board wide Cunning attack and Accurate shot). Without the Cunning attack I realized that Dark Armor functioned Almost like evade!. So I saw 2 Kel dors together and attempted to take out 2 only suffering one explosion( but my second attack was a 1 and I had run 10 squares to get to the target. But I also noticed that Nyna was set up directly behind a Kel-dor! and that Kel Dor was 8 away if I moved through the Kel Dors basing me. I used Force Leap and a force point to move and base. I killed the Kel Dor and the Explosion Killed Nyna. Also Vader was now right at Veers and Jabba.

At that point it was a mop up. I swapped Sc's around into positions where they could take shots and moped up his squad.

4-0

I am now 11-2 with this squad, and Supremely impressed with it's performance. First Prize was Darth Caedus. I took it with pride, I did not previously own this minature and in fact he is the fist sith I have aquired from this set.

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Cape Comicon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:57 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Awesome job Carl! I am glad you took my advice and ran that squad. Really you're record should be 11-1. I don't think a game against your fiancee should count against you. :P

Seriously though, that is a great squad. (I noticed you also took my advice and added Wicket, which wasn't in there for some of those victories/losses.)

Damn I should have gone. It would have been interesting to see how the mirror match would have gone.

What else was played there?

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:10 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Luke Skywalker mist-stated my squad, I didnt have Lobot...
I ran Billiv's TTD squad. I saw it on the wizo boards the other day, and thought it looked better than the other squad I was considering running( A Jango/turret w MTB engine)

So, my squad was: 2 TTD, Sidious, Deliah Blue, San Hill, human bodyguard, Overseer, BDO, and 3 Ugos

Round 1 vs Luke_Skywalker 0-1
Luke ran his now infamous SSB&B squad w Wicket.
He won map, I won side. I took the gambit side. He got a couple shots off early by switching in a SC for one of his Grans.
I moved one of my TTD's up with PotDS and Twin'ed, but missed once. Vader swapped in and killed it. Next round I shot vader and based, then pawned to quad, dealing, like Luke said, 100 dmg. Init came down, and of course he won. He needed to land 5 of 6 attacks with Vader and his SC to kill the TTD(needing only like a 2-3 to his, thanks to Wicket). He landed them all. I conceded.

Round 2 vs guy in blue shirt 1-1
'guy in blue shirt' ran Boba BH, Mara Jedi w Luke FS, Han GH, Lobot, and filler
Agreed on hardboard. he won side, and chose 'the room'. I set up in the pit area.....
He moved han out along the bottom of the map, and didnt mobile him back into the room all game. He tried moving Mara up in cover, but I moved a TTD up so she was within 6, and shot her up. Boba was the only piece left by then, so I moved all my pieces so he had no LOS, and made Boba come out towards me.
Clearly a beginner. I didnt lose a single piece(not even the bodyguard), and he didnt get gambit once.

Round 3 vs Greg Faulter 1-2
Greg ran a mob of Keldors along with Jabba CL, Veers, Nyna and Mas.
Agreed on hardboard, he won side. I placed badly and he ended up killing my Overseer, BDO, bodyguard, and an ugo in round 1. After that, I pretty much just did wat I coukld to make the game get over as soon as possible. I think I killed 3 keldors and that was it. I didnt even really try(sorry to disgrace, Billiv)

Round 4 vs Matt (same guy as Luke faced) 2-2
Agreed on hardboard, he won side.
He ran Han GH, Kyle w Luke FS, mara jedi, dodonna, lobot, and filler
I moved my TTDs up along the bottom of the map, in an effort to close in on the pit area, as I couldnt get any shots on either Han or Mara, thanks to stealth and greater mobile. He moved Kyle up with an ugo in front, but I killed it and him before he got close enough to do anything other than grenade one TTD an Ugo and the BG(only the BG failed). He clearly didnt want to kill San, so I moved him into gambit, along with my ugos(and had them kill his Ugos). Time was getting close, so after killing Mara(mostly with missed splash saves than anything else, I took a pot shot at Lobot and Dodonna, since they were sitting in the open(Dodonna was taking shots at the TTD for some reason). Killed Lobot and based Dodonna with San, which was amusing. After winning init and him saving vs splash and making evade rolls for like 5 rounds, I finally killed Dodonna (leaving him just Han w 20hp), I made it to gambit number 10, giving me the game.

I placed about 6th I think. Not too happy bout it, but I got a R I needed, so oh well.

I was happy with the way the squad played.

Problems I had: 1)superstealth..... 2) players intelligent enough to know not to kill san when I wanted/needed him dead. 3) forgot to bring any Sep reserves with me, though it didnt come up :P

"If at first you don't succeed, before you try again, stop to figure out what you did wrong." -Leo Rosten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:25 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well I posted all of the Squads that I saw, and Seth added 1 more to that I guess that accounts for about 1/2 the squads. I saw someone running 16+ AA's Dodonna Lobot, Han in Armor, Leia Hoth Commander and an Ithorian Commander. I didn't have to face it. I think the Majority of people were playing Han/Mara/Kyle. I saw that more than anything. I only saw 2 imperial Squads played, mine and the exploding Kel-Dors. Really a lot of the players were new so if I didn't post it, and Seth didn't post it, I'm sorry, but I just didn't see a lot of those squads. Han GH, and Kyle Battlemaster are definitely very popular (I saw 0 Vong)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:51 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Just asking - for one Case for prizes, how much was entry? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:48 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Entry to tourney was free, con entry for a gamers pass was $10.

ImageImage