logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 pt. at Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:48 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well we had 6 people turn out for yesterday's event.
I ran -
37 Aurra Sing
30 Han Rogue
28 Luke, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
21 Admiral Ackbar
18 C3P0 and R2-D2
09 General Dodonna
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
Map - Death Star

Two accurate shooters that deal 30 damage each and a support shooter who can deal auto-damage of 40 when necessary. This was the first time I played Ackbar since before A&E came out and I remember why I fielded him so often. He may not be uber-powerful, but he definitely enhances the squad. Only once or twice did Han ever attack at +7.
I had mixed feelings about R2P0's presence. I really wanted Lando DS on the squad, but I thought I might need Disruptive/Draw Fire/Override more. I was right on 2 of the 3 abilities. (No one at the event had a commander except for me.)

Game 1 vs. Vader's Apprentice Redeemed, Boba Fett BH, Lando DS, and Elite Rebel Commando.
I won map and we played on Death Star. Dodonna was the MVP this game. I won side and set up opposite the hangar bay and waited for him to come across the map. Then I positioned R2P0 so he could draw fire against Boba Fett while the rest of my squad worked on the other pieces. Han and Aurra took down the ERC and VAR while Luke sacrificed himself to ensure Boba's demise. After that it was between Han and Aurra taking shots at Lando. Ackbar boosted their attack value the entire game.

1-0

Game 2 vs. Darth Maul CotS, Darth Tyrannus LotDS, 2 Battle Droids, X Super Battle Droids
I lost map and we played on Muunilist. This was a closer game than I would have liked. Early on, Aurra and Han took turns shooting down Super Battle Droids that were being used to hold the doors open as Maul and Tyrannus made their advance. Luke hung back building up Force points.

Somewhere around round 3, I rushed around the center of the map and pushed Maul away from the action, then let Aurra and Han pound on him for a round or 2 before he could get back up. Han's crit with Cunning sealed Maul's fate.

It came down to Han and Luke vs. a 90 HP Tyrannus. Tyrannus based Han and attacked, then Han shot back and hit, leaving Tyrannus at 70. I won init, took my Cunning shot with Han, and then gave up an aoo to open a door so that Luke could run out and push Tyrannus for the kill.

2-0

Game 3 vs. Boba Fett BH, Lando DS, Wicket, Aurra Sing, Jariah Syn
I lost map so we played on Ravaged Base. I won side, though, so I set up in the building. We had a big shooting match in the corridor on rounds 3-5, but I managed to pull it out. Han attacked Lando, hit, and after Lando failed his Evade, I put Luke where Lando was the closest legal target and pushed him for 40 and the kill. I used Draw Fire and Override ALOT this game, and managed to keep Boba Fett out of the action the entire time. He just couldn't get through an open door anywhere. Lesson learned - always bring your Ugnaughts.
Maybe if my opponent had won initiative, but I had Recon, which really came through for me this game. My favorite moment of this match was when I moved Ackbar to within 6 of Wicket and hit for 10 damage. Then, I won init, and attacked with Ackbar again, killing Wicket.

3-0

Overall, I really liked this squad more than I thought I would when I put it together. That was the first time I really ever used Han, Rogue, and I don't think anyone at the store had ever seen him played, either. R2P0's Draw Fire was incredibly useful 2 out of 3 games because of Boba Fett BH and Aurra Sing, but the trick is knowing when to use it and when not to, as well as being sure Regeneration (meaning not moving) is the right decision. I thought it was funny that no one had any commanders. I don't know if that was out of fear of Disruptive or just by chance.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg