logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 DCI at Yotta Quest, Cincinnati, OH (4/13/08)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, finally getting around to posting this. We had a 150 point DCI constructed event at Yotta Quest here in Cincy for 'Legacy of the Force Day'. The prizes were 2 boosters to 1st place, 1 booster to 2nd place, and then a booster to draft pieces from for 3rd through 9th. Then, the top 8 also got the special Scenario and promo piece (Human Scoundrel). We had 14 people total for the tournament.

I played a slight variant of the 'Han Speeder' squad posted earlier this week. Here was my squad:

Luke's Snowspeeder
Han Scoundrel
Dodonna
Bothan Noble
Ugo Tech
R2-D2
Obi-Wan FS
Gran Raider
Ugo x2

Map of choice was Rancor pit, though only played on it twice.

First opponent was a brand new kid to SWM. He had Vader Imperial Commander, an Imperial Knight, and a mix of various Stormtroopers. We played on Rancor Pit, and I won side choice and took the pit side. Game played out pretty easily for me, but I was mainly helping him learn how to play the game. Vader didn't last long against the multiple incoming attacks, especially since he kept failing Deflect saves too. So, at the end of that one, Lobo 1-0.

2nd game, was where it started getting interesting. Opponent had Boba BH, Lando DS, Lobot, Dodonna, and 2 Bothan Nobles, plus fodder for reinforcements. We played on Death Star, and I lost the side roll, and had to set up in the Hangar side. This game swung back and forth so much it was crazy. I had put most of my pieces in the room at the top, but the speeder, and a couple others were in the Hangar. Towards the end of Round 1, after I'd activated Han already, my opponent took a gamble using Lobot to open the Hangar door, and moved Boba into a sweet position to both shoot at my Speeder, and shield Lobot. Well, on my turn, I figured, well, may as well attack with the Speeder, then move. First roll: 20. Boba fails his Evade. 2nd roll, a 17, and Boba fails another Evade. So, right away, Boba was down to 1/2 his HP. 2nd round I win init, and he's left me with a chance to take down both the Bothan Nobles, so I risk it. Now, this not only leaves Han out near the middle of the map, but too far from Obi-Wan to get Mettle. Boba and Lando hit all their attacks on Han, and now I fail all of my evade saves! So Han is left straggling out there, with 10 HP left, lol. Luckily, I won init the next round, and start out with Han taking some shots, and then moving back into cover. From there, Lady Luck was mostly in my favor. I based Boba with the Speeder, and although I missed 2 out 4 shots at the end of that round, I won the following init, and finished off Boba. Then, finishing off Lando was pretty simple. Was a crazy, and VERY fun game. Lobo 2-0

3rd game, I had to play against Stsparks, who had made the trip down from Dayton. He was playing a small variant from my squad, and he had Luke's Landspeeder, Han Scoundrel, Lando DS, Dodonna, Lobot, and an Ugo. He brought a Human BG and 3 Ugos for reinforcements, and that made a HUGE difference for him. My snowspeeder did a pretty fair amount of damage before it finally went down, but not quite enough. His Landspeeder made several key Deflect saves, and mainly it's very last one, which allowed it to stay on the board with 10 HP, and finish off my Han Scoundrel. If he'd failed that Deflect, it would've been anybody's game at that point, as his Han Scoundrel was near dead, and I was ahead in gambit points at that time. Was a tense, dice roll decided game. Very fun! Lobo 2-1

Final game was against one of the younger guys who came along with Stsparks. He had an interesting build (Han GH, Mara Jedi, Talon, BBSV, Luke FS) he just didn't play it all that well. We played on his map, Muunilist, which was frustrating for my Snowspeeder, lol. But he didn't keep the BBSV near Mara, so I tore her up without too much trouble. He also had trouble getting high enough rolls to hit my pieces, but even that wouldn't have saved him. Was a pretty quick game. Lobo 3-1

So, I ended the day getting 3rd place, and won a Luke LOTLS, plus got the Scenario and Promo Fig. I was pretty well impressed with the Han/Snowspeeder combination, and may have to try it out some more in the future.

Post subject: Re: 150 DCI at Yotta Quest, Cincinnati, OH (4/13/08)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

wow, sounds like a great time. Question, how many venues did constructed tounreys as opposed to 2 boosters? Was it a choice for the venue to decide?

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:38 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

the only options was 150 constructed or the special Ossus LOTF Scenario.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:35 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

??? Ours had everyone buy boosters and make their squads out of that. :?:

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WOTC's official suggestion was to buy 2 boosters and use those to run the scenario. I'm not sure how they intended that to really work though. From what I've heard, just about everywhere did something different with it. :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:53 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Our release day events, Official or not, I Always try to put in a little extra effort

I work with a Local Collectors Toy store calld THE EARTH and they donate lots of Slick Star Wars themed SWAG inaddition to Prize support

Last event (TFU) We had some of the OH 501st (Lobostele included) sow up for a photo Op. and play a few rounds with us

We usually have between 14 and 18 people show up at both stores
ACME tried the Scenario- which was "interesting" by all accounts and not intended for "Newer Players"
but overall a challenge

YQ had the choice and we opted for the 150 rather than the 100point constructed

Having Sparks, his son and his crew down to Cincy is always a treat, he's an Honorable Player with a good sense of competition and fair play
and it's nice to have some inside scoop from him about what's going on in the Trade forums :wink:

I think in May we're going to go one weekend and visit him
:lsfight:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

You guys should hit Columbus too!

Sparks is always at our place too!

We play every 3rd Saturday at Hobbyotnw USA on the Northeast side, North Hamilton Road.

Prize support, league kits and booster discounts are the usual.

Tomorrow we have an A&E draft tourney at 25% off per booster, 10-12 players are expected!

-b