logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Han Solo in Carbonite
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:22 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Thinking of confusing some enemies in 200, Here is my thought.

I would love to put the new Han Solo Galactic Hero into the Rebel Faction so that he can get some support pieces that help him out. Han in Carbonite allows this (and at a discount). If I play both Luke's Snow Speeder and 2-1B and Deliah Blue, will I be able to make my way across the 200 pt legal maps to rescue Han in Carbonite. And then get his Frozen butt back across the map alive?

Or does this piece do something more valueable to me and make my opponents do something I want them to do, Have a battle in 2 places at once! Not only must they contend for the gambit Zone, but they must also Protect the Carbonite Han, because that piece Can be a game Changing piece to say the least. In 200 points there are only 3 legal maps, and I would say that the Hardboard is the best one for my Squad (Accurate shot on an open map). The Rancor pit could be difficult to deal with, but the Throne room is pretty well balanced for set up and play.

Is this option viable?

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Han Solo in Carbonite
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Is this option viable?

Nope.

You still have to follow normal faction rules when you choose a Han, I believe.

Nice try though. :D

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:33 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Are you sure, it says any Character with "Han" in it's name. It really was never an issue before I doubt there is an official ruling...yet.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:51 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Sithborg from the wizards site directed me to the ruling, and Boris is correct.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Dang, that' would've been sweet. Still not competitive, but maybe worth it for once.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

The strategy I feel can still be effective, I think you just have to use the 46 point Han. I was just thinking that maybe you don't need the Han from your point of view, but to get him would be a nice bonus. Forcing the opponent to split his squad is always advantageous, and Luke's snowspeeder would do that well because of it's massive range.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:52 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Blocking a huge from basing Hansickle is really easy. Han in a corner and one fig on the diagonal. Even better is 3 ugo's. That will tie up the speeder for 2 turns (need to kill both then base). During those two turns, the speeder will spend all it's FP on deflects and then be defeated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:32 pm 
General
General

I like Han in Carbonite in 100 points where your opponent won't have any many pieces to spare blocking him. Commando on Speeder Bike is another nice option for unfreezing him. Strafe Attack works wonders against blocking Ugs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:03 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Is there a smaller piece that could rescue him more effectively?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm 
General
General

As far as Medium-based figures go, there are 3 figures available to the Rebel and New Republic factions that can move 18 squares in a single activation, as far as I can see.

Amanin Scout (13) with Wheel Form (plus the bonus of Wall Climber).
Luke Skywalker and Yoda (70) with 3 Force points spent to Move Faster
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master (74) with Master Speed

The 2 Luke's both have quite a bit of survivability as well, but they're really expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:48 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

What about Boba Fett Bounty Hunter? I know it sounds a little absurd to think about it, but that piece has flight, and flamethrower to kill roadblocks faster, my only trouble with him is that I lose the speed.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:49 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

We keep forgetting, it only takes 3 Caamasi Nobles to ruin your day. Lobot could always bring them in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dnemiller wrote:
all three can be roadblocked and they suffer going across difficult terrain too.... I dont think they are viable

Actually, Leap is quite handy for getting past blocks, along with Wall Climber (especially if it is only blocking the corridor). Still, a fun only strategy.

Though, with a Leia as Boussh a very good possibility, along with the Han, Smuggler being post-carbonite, I am curious to see if Rob doesn't have anything up his sleeve.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
dnemiller wrote:
all three can be roadblocked and they suffer going across difficult terrain too.... I dont think they are viable

Actually, Leap is quite handy for getting past blocks, along with Wall Climber (especially if it is only blocking the corridor). Still, a fun only strategy.

Though, with a Leia as Boussh a very good possibility, along with the Han, Smuggler being post-carbonite, I am curious to see if Rob doesn't have anything up his sleeve.

Like on the Leia she has an ability that allows her to be set up with the enemies squad and she cannot not be targeted by the enemy until she attacks someone? That'd be really cool IMHO.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:42 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

thejumpingflea wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

Like on the Leia she has an ability that allows her to be set up with the enemies squad and she cannot not be targeted by the enemy until she attacks someone? That'd be really cool IMHO.

That sounds like if you would use Han and that Leia you get Han at half price so that your opponent can kill him faster.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

All good points, however I fail to see ANY han at this point that would be worth getting. Pretty much every Han is fragile, and designed to support your team with accurate shot or a good CE. The big hans will go down so fast even if your opponent let you unfreeze him.

I think the best fig at rescuing han is probably the Amanin scout, but at 13 points, it's almost always better to just play with a normal Han for the 17-20 points you would save with the Hansickle...

But he's a GREAT scenario piece.