logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: LotF release tournament in Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We played 100 pts. and had 9 people turn out for the event.

My squad:
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
34 Storm Commando x2
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
08 Wicket
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist x1
Map - Death Star

I mulled for nearly 15 minutes over whether I wanted Mas Amedda or Wicket before making my choice. After playing, I felt I made the right call. Super-stealthed traps was just more valuable than Booming Voice in this squad. I only swapped during one of the 3 games I played, and I found Force Immunity to be more important than spreading out. (Not for Deflect, but to prevent my opponent from re-rolling missed attacks.)

Game 1
My opponent had Luke's Snowspeeder, Han on Tauntaun, and some filler support. He didn't have a map, so we played on Death Star. I set up in the control room after he won the side roll and chose the hangar. My Storm Commandos and Thrawn never left the room, though Nyna did, and got killed for it.
Despite that, I managed to win. +13 attacks at 30 damage is just overwhelming, especially when Wicket is negating cover.

1-0

Game 2
My opponent had Boba, Merc Commander and a pile of frine figures (Lando and a Medical Droid). Again on the Death Star, the Medical Droid got smashed quick and Lando and Boba moved quickly toward the control room. Not quick enough, though. Wicket ran for Gambit and got killed by an exploding Kel Dor Bounty Hunter, but not before Boba and Lando both died in a series of Cunning Deadeye barrages.

2-0

Game 3
My opponent in this game was playing King and Queen, also known as Boba Fett BH and Aurra Sing (CS). He won map and we played on Rancor Pit. He won side but deferred placement to me, so I picked the Rancor Pen side. We both got first round gambit, and when he realized that I had total init control he rushed around the corner on the second round with the intention of killing my SCs, I think. That was his mistake. I moved Wicket to within 6 and threw a spear and hit, but Boba made his evade save. Then I used an SC to double deadeye the adjacent Fett again, putting Boba at 80. I won init and double deadeyed an adjacent Boba Fett, with the second attack a crit, for a total of 70 damage. Then I moved Thrawn adjacent and combined with Wicket, needing a 2+ to hit. No problem.

Once Boba was dead, Aurra simply didn't have the firepower necessary to survive.

3-0 and good enough to net me first place and the prize.

I was really impressed with this squad. After a few games with Nyna, I think she may be one of the best pieces ever made. An 18 pt. fig with Recon that can't be targeted as long as she has cover. I will probably play this again some day.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: LotF release tournament in Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
We played 100 pts. and had 9 people turn out for the event.

My squad:
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
34 Storm Commando x2
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
08 Wicket
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist x1
Map - Death Star

I mulled for nearly 15 minutes over whether I wanted Mas Amedda or Wicket before making my choice. After playing, I felt I made the right call. Super-stealthed traps was just more valuable than Booming Voice in this squad. I only swapped during one of the 3 games I played, and I found Force Immunity to be more important than spreading out. (Not for Deflect, but to prevent my opponent from re-rolling missed attacks.)

Game 1
My opponent had Luke's Snowspeeder, Han on Tauntaun, and some filler support. He didn't have a map, so we played on Death Star. I set up in the control room after he won the side roll and chose the hangar. My Storm Commandos and Thrawn never left the room, though Nyna did, and got killed for it.
Despite that, I managed to win. +13 attacks at 30 damage is just overwhelming, especially when Wicket is negating cover.

1-0

Game 2
My opponent had Boba, Merc Commander and a pile of frine figures (Lando and a Medical Droid). Again on the Death Star, the Medical Droid got smashed quick and Lando and Boba moved quickly toward the control room. Not quick enough, though. Wicket ran for Gambit and got killed by an exploding Kel Dor Bounty Hunter, but not before Boba and Lando both died in a series of Cunning Deadeye barrages.

2-0

Game 3
My opponent in this game was playing King and Queen, also known as Boba Fett BH and Aurra Sing (CS). He won map and we played on Rancor Pit. He won side but deferred placement to me, so I picked the Rancor Pen side. We both got first round gambit, and when he realized that I had total init control he rushed around the corner on the second round with the intention of killing my SCs, I think. That was his mistake. I moved Wicket to within 6 and threw a spear and hit, but Boba made his evade save. Then I used an SC to double deadeye the adjacent Fett again, putting Boba at 80. I won init and double deadeyed an adjacent Boba Fett, with the second attack a crit, for a total of 70 damage. Then I moved Thrawn adjacent and combined with Wicket, needing a 2+ to hit. No problem.

Once Boba was dead, Aurra simply didn't have the firepower necessary to survive.

3-0 and good enough to net me first place and the prize.

I was really impressed with this squad. After a few games with Nyna, I think she may be one of the best pieces ever made. An 18 pt. fig with Recon that can't be targeted as long as she has cover. I will probably play this again some day.

Very nice write up. I know firsthand how powerful Storm Commando's are with Thrawn and Nyna is definitely a great addition to that.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject: Re: LotF release tournament in Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:36 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Definitely a different kind of release tournament this time out.

Nice squad in 100.