logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: EPIC at ACME, Cincinnati, OH (4/10)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We played EPIC again at our LGS last night. Unfortunately, I think it will be the last time we do it for a while. We just don't have the time on a Thursday evening to make it work, especially when we usually have 10+ players, thus technically needing 4 rounds to get a winner. Last night, we had 12 total, but then 5 people had to drop after the 2nd round. We start playing at 7:30, because that's the earliest everyone can reliably get there with work schedules and all. So, between the longer time format (we do 50 minute rounds), and the fact that it took us a bit extra to get started last night, we were just finishing the 2nd round right before 10pm. So, if we want to try EPIC again, I think perhaps we'll plan to do it on a separate day altogether when we have tons of time to make it work.

Anyways, it was still relatively fun.

I ran a Sith/Mando squad using:

Revan
Ulic
Lumiya
Caedus
Talon
Boba Merc Commander
Canderous
Mando Supercommando x2
Mando Gunslinger
Caamasi
Ugo Demo x3

This was a lot of fun. Canderous using Revan's CE to move into position, then Triple, or the Supercommandos getting Revan's +4 bonus for attacks was really great. And I had fun getting to try out 6 of the new pieces from LOTF in one squad!!

First opponent, I played had a NR build, with Garm, 2 Felucian Rancors, Han GH, Cade, Boba BH, Shado, Wolf, Mara Jade Skywalker, Dodonna, Talon Karrde, plus fodder, and then brought in a Bothan Noble and more fodder with Reinforcements. The poor Felcors did their best, and one of them managed to put 60 damage on Fett at one point, but they just didn't have enough defense against all my shooters (even though Canderous missed all 3 of his first sets of shots). I managed to scare Mara into hiding at the very beginning of the 2nd round by putting 90 on her with Boba and a Supercommando. 3rd round I won init (even against Karrde's Recon!) and used Boba to kill of Karrde. Poor Wolf and Shado didn't get to do much either. Wolf missed the three attacks that he did get to make, because Ulic and his 23 defense were his only target. And then one of my Supercommandos landed a crit on him. With no defensive abilities he dropped fast. So, I managed to take out both Rancors, Wolf, Shado, and Talon, plus some fodder, and I only lost Canderous, and a couple of the other Mandos.

2nd Opponent (TheMadman) was playing a similar squad to mine, but he had Revan, Ulic, Boba BH, Mandalore, Cade, Canderous, 3 Gunslingers and a few Blademasters. This game was really close the whole time, and he only ended up winning by 20 points, which wouldn't have happened if I'd been paying attention and got gambit the first round (we play with it 25 points per round for EPIC). But the game was fairly even throughout, and Madman did great with Bodyguard, as I hit Cade with a Crit from a Supercommando 2 different times, and he still wasn't dead. The game changer came when I made a bold move to rush Cade and Mandalore at the end of a round. But then I narrowly lost initiative, and his Boba BH promptly rolled a 20 to wipe out my full HP Ulic. I did finally manage to use Canderous to finish off Cade, but I couldn't put enough damage on Madman's Ulic by the end of the game to finish him off. His Ulic ended the game with 30 HP left, and he made a couple of nice blocks/parries along the way too.

Because of the various people that dropped, I ended up with a bye for the 3rd round. We did pull a Boba Merc Commander and Darth Nihl in the prize support boosters, so that was cool. Was a fun night though, and we hung out for a while talking about the scenario for this weekend's event, and discussing new meta squads and such.