logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: LoTF Sealed 3/30 Cincinnati, OH (YottaQuest)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

My squad-
Lumia, Jeria Syn, Mando Gunslinger, NR Scout, Rangefinder, HBG, Duros Scoundrel, Kel bounty hunter

Round 1
JMNForce-
I lost maps (RS Starter)
He ran a SS squad with Bothan and Darth Talon

After several rounds of losing Initiative & attack options (SS is B**** in a sealed format!) I had whittled down Talon to 20 HP and moved in most of my squad to take his support-
He ran his pieces away as we closed in on the time limit, I failed or he Force bubbled damage from AoO on Talon when he fled- He managed to take enough of my pieces though
0-1

Round 2
"Max”
I won map & Side(ROTS Starter)
Lumia, Luke FS, Guard Droid,random support

Init. Was varied between us, I played defensively, not knowing his plans (He’s a quiet kid, likes the “Bad Guys”) About half way through the match, he seemed “Deflated” and made some silly mistakes, leaving pieces in the open, forgetting to follow Luke with Lumia, leaving her the only target in many instances for my squad to pound on
1-1

Round 3
Lobostele
Lost map and side (Mustifar)
Fett, Drako, Imp knight, NR Scout, Bothan, other support

Alright, going in I knew I was going to loose… I really just saw Fett chewing through my pieces…
However, in the first round I managed a little force magic of my own and my bodyguard went unnoticed… which allowed me to get my pieces in to the rooms along the side of the map and at least make some kind of stand
I managed to get some lucky positions to start hitting his pieces – but he simply had better play strategy and between us we both failed to “Bait” each other in to a killing field.

Towards the end- I managed to finish off his knights, (with a little play suggestion from my gracious opponent)
Still feeling like I wasn’t going to win I started to “let my squad play” and an opening happened, I got to a position where I could at least get to Fett (who was at nearly half HP)
Again, with a little coaxing from Aaron, I made a double attack and healed some damage from Lumia- for some reason; He based her on the next Init. And shot her dead- causing the SD40- killing Fett- and clinching the match for me
I won, but Lobostele outplayed me!
2-1

Round 4
Wind_Scribe
Won map and side (ROTS Starter)
Shado Vao, Mando Gunslinger, OR Scouts, Duros Scound., Vong Corellian SO

Last round and feeling relieved about my win against Lobostele, I was in the mood for fun, and so was my opponent. He was done playing and just wanted to rush and wreak havoc! It was a blast! He posted his gunslinger behind the CorSec guy to take shots at the oppsition and rushed Vao up to my front door and a beautiful brawl ensued….
Jeria Syn and the NR Scout tore into him with reckless abandon and my Kel dor rushed in picking of whatever and managed to base a cluster of his low HP figs just in time to cause a sexy SD 40 when the Vong attacked him.
Short, Fun game. We spent lots of time talking out the rest of the time limit

3-1

Results-
1st IndyNorm
2nd JMNForce
3rd The Madman
4th Lobostele

Post subject: Re: LoTF Sealed 3/30 Cincinnati, OH (YottaQuest)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

My squad:
Shado Voa
Deena Shan (which is funny since I played Juno Eclipse for TFU release tourney)
Guard Droid
Noghri Commando
YV Jedi Hunter
Mando Gunslinger

I was 2-2 and came in 7th of 18th place (or was it 15 after 3 dropped, or did only 2 drop?). I lost to IndyNorm (Darth Tyranus, Antares Draco, Imperial Knight, Bothan Noble, Imperial Security Officer, no clue if anything else) and then so someone not on the boards (Darth Krayt, Canderous Ordo, Bothan Noble, YV Warrior). First lost game was against IndyNorm he scored some crits that took out a portion of my squad, as well as me missing several attacks and blocks from Shado. Other game I totally forgot that Shado has Deflect, so after taking 2 of 5 hits from Canderous in 1 round I realized he had it. After that I had some lucky hits and was able to have it come down to Darth Krayt (60 HP left) and my Mando Gunslinger (20 HP left). It was possible for me to win, but was very slim (woulda had to win init and crit on both attacks and have Krayt fail both VCA saves). Sadly, Krayt won init and swung away.

Post subject: Re: LoTF Sealed 3/30 Cincinnati, OH (YottaQuest)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Thanks for starting the thread, Madman. :D By the time I got home from having dinner with friends last night, I literally went straight to bed, lol

My squad:
Boba Fett Merc Commander
Antares Draco
Imp Knight (the chick one :P)
Bothan Noble
GA Scout
Human Scout

I know, I was a bit of jerk with this one, but I chose Mustafar for my map. :P There were several high-competitive players that day, and 1st place prize was 3 boosters, and 2 boosters for 2nd. So I wanted the best chance I could get.

Looking back on it, I put in the Bothan thinking I could give Boba extra attacks, and then part way through the first game, I realized the Noble's CE only worked on Followers! Doh! Might've put in other pieces instead, but it worked out fine, as the Noble gave extra attacks to Draco or the Imp Knight and used Heal a LOT.

Game 1: Against one of the younger kids at our store. He had Tyranus, Han GH, YV Warrior, 2x Rebel Honor Guards, and I think the last two were a GA Scout and an OR Scout. We played on Mustafar, and even though I lost side, he set up in a way that let me take some early shots. By the 2nd or 3rd round, I had most of his fodder killed, but he advanced Tyranus and Han across the bridges and engaged me at the doorway to the lower-center room. Ended up being a REALLY close game (closer than I would've liked!) as my Knights had a tough time with Tyrannus. Even tried a Force Push 2 that he made the save for. Boba had to do most of the leg-work for that, finally finishing him off with a Spotter 20 shot with Boba. The game ended with just Han and Boba chasing each other around the catwalks. But I won a couple initiatives, and based Han to end the game without his Evade.

Game 2: Played against my buddy Matt, who had Shado Vao, Tyranus, and filler (can't remember). We played on Mustafar again, which probably saved the day for me. I won side this game, and managed to control gambit zone first and force him to engage me. One highlight is that I used Draco's Force Push once each on Tyranus and Shado, though both made their saves (Shado had to use 2 FPs to do it though, as he rolled 5, 5, 20!). Again, Boba was the main star, and chewed through Tyranus quite quickly. Shado was tougher to mow down, but I forced him to burn his FPs pretty quickly through all the various times I was hitting him with Draco and Boba. Won this one without too much trouble.

Game 3: This was the game against Madman, that he described above. Was a crazy incredible game. I started out the game by forgetting he had a Human Bodyguard in the midst of his pieces. And since he was clumped up in the safe squares on Mustafar (I won map/side), I should have used Missles 30 with Boba, but completely forgot that he had that ability. It came down to an init that I won, where I just blanked out, and went in for the kill with Boba, intending to negate Lumiya's Evade. After the SD40, Boba died, and I was left with my Bothan Noble, and Madman had Jariah Syn. I also had 15 points of gambit at that time. Madman had good enough dice rolls to finish off the Noble before he could get 2 more rounds of gambit, though the final score of the game ended up being 150-146. I realized later that I could have used Heal 10 with the Noble first, and THEN sent in Boba to finish off Lumiya, which would've left Boba with 10 HP. As long as I won the next init as well, I would've been OK. Or I should have just flown farther away, healed Boba more, and taken my chances with Lumiya's Evade, since she had no Force Points left. Oh well, it's how it goes. :P

Game 4: Best game of the day. Played against Doug, on Mustafar, and I won side (chose the good side, lol). He had Lumiya, Nyna, a YVJH, Duros Scoundrel, GA Scout, Elite Rebel Commando, Twi'lek Scout, and OR Scout. I won the first init, and immediately wiped out the Duros and put 20 (after Crab Armor) on the YVJH with Boba. Boba got pinged for 10 in return, but it gave me the point lead I needed in order to force him to engage me. I pretty much camped in gambit from that point on, letting Antares take the point position, to force his shooters to target him, and then the Bothan behind him healing 10 every round. After several rounds, I was getting WAY ahead on gambit, and even though he was trying to do some damage from the lower rooms, he wasn't getting anywhere quickly. I moved my Imp Knight and Human Scout down the catwalks to try to goad them out (and to protect against the ERC coming out and grenading me, and I managed to kill the GA Scout and put 20 on the ERC before Lumiya swooped in and eliminated the Knight. Though, I was still WAY ahead in points. I then advanced towards the right-center of the map with most of my squad, leaving the GA Scout to gain gambit. Antares moved up and did some more damage to the YVJH, but I didn't calculate everything, and left him in a position for Lumiya to push him into the lava. With 60 HP left, I lost him to the flames. :P But Boba finished off the YVJH that round as well, so I was still quite a bit ahead. With time running down, he finally advanced out of the rooms, chasing down Boba. I used the two scouts to tie up his pieces a little, but they didn't last long (I had hoped to win init and score a big hit on Lumiya with Spotter....missed the attack, lol). I ran around in circles, pounding Lumiya when I had the chance, but mostly just trying to keep away from her so she couldn't Double Attack me. I circled back toward the gambit zone and killed the ERC. Then next round I killed off Nyna who had come out to help with wearing down Boba's HP (he actually hit with the ERC and Nyna quite a bit). Finally, it was down to Lumiya and Boba, with Boba having less than 40 HP. I won a couple inits, and he made at least 4 evade saves in a row, without any FPs! On the last set of attacks (that she evaded) I used Flight to move across the lava to the catwalks, forcing Lumiya to move more than 6. Hindsight here: I should have flown over to the top side of the map, which I realized, and when I won initiative on the next round, I proceeded to fly the 12 squares back to the other side of the pit. This gave me a huge advantage, and I could have stayed over there, waiting for him to fail evade saves. But he moved back to gambit, and not wanting to be jerk and drag this out forever, I made a crucial discovery: I was ahead by 30 points of gambit. So I won initiative, and flew 6 squares to base Lumiya, needing to roll 3's or higher. Both attacks hit. Both pieces die because of Self-Destruct 40. And I win the game because of all the gambit I had racked up. Was incredible.

So, I finished out 3-1. Really wish I had been more intelligent against Madman, and taken my time with how I played it out, but them's the breaks sometimes, right? Still, I pulled 2 pieces I didn't have yet, one of them being Fett, which made me happy right then. I got 2nd pick out of a booster that was opened for 3rd - 8th to draft prizes from, so I still got an extra Mando Gunslinger as a prize. :D