logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 Pts 'Terrific Trio' at ACME (3/20)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Finally getting around to posting last week's games. :P At ACME last week we decided to try out the 'Terrific Trio' idea that's been floating around a bit. Kind of like Dynamic Duo, but it's at 150 points instead. You get 3 characters, but it does not necessarily have to be exactly 150 points. Also, you only activate 1 piece at a time, so that added a very interesting element to the game play.

I decided to play Master Kota, Boba Fett Mercenary, and CS Aurra Sing.

Some of the other squads were:
Another Kota, Fett Merc, Aurra
Two squads with Luke & Yoda and Boba Fett Bounty Hunter. One of those had R2PO for the last 18 points, the other squad had a Rebel Commando Strike Leader.
Two squads of Boba Fett BH, Jango Fett BH, Han in Stormtrooper Armor
Vader's Apprentice Redeemed, Han RH, Yoda of Dagobah
Boba Fett Merc, Jango BH, General Kenobi
Couple other lesser ones I can't remember.

I went 3-1 for the evening. First two rounds I played the two Boba BH, Jango BH, Han ST squads.

First game was really easy, as I was playing against a guy that's a lot newer to the game, and tactics wise, I just outplayed him. I won a couple of nice inits too, one of which let Kota do a Repulse for 50 on Boba BH and Han St, which killed Han. Clean up was pretty easy after that.

Second game was tougher, against one of our better players, but we got to play on my map, Muunilist, and once again, I managed to win a key initiative and pull off a Repulse with Kota. My Boba Merc died pretty quick in this game, and my opponent kept Han ST hidden most of the game. But Boba Merc did get to put 60 on Boba BH before he finally bit the dust. This game had a hilarious ending with Kota chasing Han ST around (felt like playing, rather than just sitting in gambit). Han hit several times here at the end, and since he had full HP, took Kota 3 or 4 rounds to finally finish him off.

Third game was against the Loda, Boba BH, Rebel Commando squad. I used Kota in the end of the 2nd round, and ran him 12 squares to set up for the Repulse. I won init, and killed the RCSL, and did 50 to Boba, activating him, AND getting him stuck in a room. Boba Merc and Aurra were tying up Loda, so the other guy had to waste a turn with Boba just to get the door open. Didn't help him much though. He was making Reflect saves like crazy and successfully stunning my pieces, so not much damage was getting through. When I finally got to move Kota up to base Loda, Boba freed himself from the room, and promptly Disintegrated Kota. That was pretty much the end there.

Final game was against the Boba Merc, Jango BH, General Kenobi squad, which was a cool concept. I mis-counted (counted 6 instead of 8) in the first round, and his Jango got a nice shot on my Boba Merc. But it was a gamble, and when I won init, I hit Jango with Boba Merc, landing a crit on one of those shots, and finishing him off (hit him twice for 40 total previously). From there it was pretty much in my favor, and I finished up without too much trouble. I made a nice set of moves toward the end to keep him from being able to kill my Boba, so that was fun.

So, was a really fun tournament, and I ended up placing 2nd according to the DCI system. Though we had 2 or 3 issues that night with people who had a tied record, AND tied Strength of schedule, so a couple people got wrapped around the axle arguing about whether or not people were listed alphabetically after that point. So, for my efforts that night, I scored one of the SWEET Mando Trooper promos and an Ossus map. Well worth it. :D

Post subject: Re: 150 Pts 'Terrific Trio' at ACME (3/20)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:04 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Very cool. Too bad about that disintegration on Kota. :boba:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee