logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 points DCI in Greenfield Mass (3/21/08)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:17 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I didn't have time to really put a good squad together so I played Kota/Aurra/Boba, Enforcer/Lando, DS. Map choice doesn't matter since I lost map choice in each game.

Game 1 vs C. Guy from out of the area who played a B&B type squad on the rancor pit. I did pretty well. Finally lost at the end with him down to Vader and Thrawn with 10 or 20 HP left. Kota got up to about 18FP thanks to Thrawn keeping him from Repulsing. Pretty good game though.

Game 2 I got the bye.

Game 3 vs T. He played the FU Rancor/Bossk, BH/S.A.D. x2 on the other 200 point paper map. Highlights of this one included him basing Kota with the Rancor at the end of a turn next to a door. Next round I won iniative and started by having Boba shoot the Rancor for 20 then move back. Kota then Repulsed and activated the Rancor. Later on with the rancor in the hall gaining gambit he had Bossk and the surviving S.A.D. all grouped together. I was able to move Boba up and Missles 30 all 3 of them to end a round. Then I won iniative and did it again. The only thing left then was the S.A.D. I took that out with Kota's second repulse of the game. It hit Boba too but since he hadn't taken any damage yet I didn't care. Kota could have double attacked the S.A.D. but I didn't want to chance him making enough shield saves to keep it alive. Repulse was going to do a minimum of 30 even if he made his saves.

I didn't get any promos for the night.

Post subject: Re: 150 points DCI in Greenfield Mass (3/21/08)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:26 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I also played in the Greenfield tournament for the first time on Friday, driving out from Boston for the change of venue. I usually play in Abington, MA near Boston, and my buddy, while originally a New Englander, now lives and plays his games in Maryland. We were both looking forward to a different LGS to see how the game shapes up there. Of course we also met homer_sapien for the first time in person – definitely a great guy.

I really didn’t know what to play, and 150 seems to be my weak format, so I defaulted to San Hill (San, Boba, Aurra, Lobot, Uggy x3) as I feel safest with it. A few squads I saw lurking about gave me pause, but I was just hoping to win map and make it easier.

First opponent was T. who was using some Sith Assualt Droids (I can honestly say I’ve never seen anyone use ONE before) and filler. I didn’t notice it until after, but he was 10 points over the build total. It really didn’t matter. I won map and side on Mustafar. He tried to advance through the rooms but since he didn’t have any door control, Lobot kept him from getting too close, all the while with me teeing off on him. Those droids can be a little aggravating when making their saves, but once I killed one and had the point lead, he realized he had to run down the middle and get gambit, which of course ended badly for him. 1-0.

Second opponent was D. who had Maris, Komari, Hologram Veers and troopers. Interesting. We played on Mustafar again, and I got a first round shot that took out a trooper. With the point lead, I hid, and after several rounds of neither of us moving, he realized he had to come out. Next shot was a disintegrate on Komari and the game was pretty much over from there. 2-0.

Last opponent was my buddy C. who had the B&B squad that homer played in the first round. He kind of had to win map to have a chance. He didn’t, and once again we played on Mustafar. When I got side as well, my buddy offered to concede as he was out-activated and would have no cover or gambit with which to score points or advance. I would have none of it. Predictably, he hid in the rooms close to his side, and at the end of the first round, I used a tricky line of sight to open the door with Lobot and sniped Mas with Boba. I chalked it up more to his lack of experience on the map, rather than my own experience on it. With no long-distance swap capability AND losing on points, he once again offered to concede which I accepted. Somewhat anti-climactic to play your friend and have the game last 5 minutes, but he didn’t have much of a chance under the circumstances. 3-0 and the tourney win. My buddy C. took 2nd and I think homer was 3rd.

For my efforts I won another Storm Commando, which is always nice.

So my overall impression of the experience was great, and not just because I won. I got to see many different squads played that almost never make an appearance at my LGS (Nom Bombs popped up, as well as the Francor which I hardly ever see), and meet a lot of new people. Also, the game between my buddy and homer was awesome and I was glad I got to watch the end of it. It’s also very cool to meet someone from the forums in person (homer_sapien) and I look forward to making more trips out there in the future to try and tie our small state together with the ever-strong bond of Star Wars Miniatures… LOL, ok I admit that was pretty cheesy. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:27 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Admiral Ace wrote:
Somewhat anti-climactic to play your friend and have the game last 5 minutes, but he didn’t have much of a chance under the circumstances. 3-0 and the tourney win. My buddy C. took 2nd and I think homer was 3rd.

For my efforts I won another Storm Commando, which is always nice.

So my overall impression of the experience was great, and not just because I won. I got to see many different squads played that almost never make an appearance at my LGS (Nom Bombs popped up, as well as the Francor which I hardly ever see), and meet a lot of new people. Also, the game between my buddy and homer was awesome and I was glad I got to watch the end of it. It’s also very cool to meet someone from the forums in person (homer_sapien) and I look forward to making more trips out there in the future to try and tie our small state together with the ever-strong bond of Star Wars Miniatures… LOL, ok I admit that was pretty cheesy. :D

At least you pulled something decent from the prize booster. I didn't get anything. I think the person running it counted the Byes as losses when he was figuring out who got the promos so he counted me as 1-2 when he did them. I didn't bother argueing it since I already have 4 of the Marksman promos.

The younger players do run some interesting stuff. I've faced multiple S.A.D. a number of times. They can be nasty when they make a lot of thier saves. That first game was rough. My tossed together squad vs B&B on his map and it still went right up to the time limit. Was a very interesting game to play. Sorry we didn't get to play each other, but maybe that will change this week-end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Nice. Thanks for posting. :scoutT:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee