logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Reports from Cincinnati (3/6 and 3/9)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, was pretty busy on Friday and forgot to write up a report over the weekend...then got to play again on Sunday...and...so.....two reports. :P

So, Thursday, 3/6, was 100 Pts DCI at ACME

I ran thejumpingflea's Swiss Army Knife

Some of the other squads were:

San Hill, Boba BH, Lobot, filler (Lando DS for reinforcments on most games I think)
San Hill, Aurra JH, Boba Enforcer
Boba BH, JWM, R2, Ugo
VSA, Yoda of Dagoah, filler
Boba Enforcer, JWM x2
Adm Piett, Ozzel, Mas, Star Destroyer Officer, a bunch of Imp Navy Troopers
Luke HPU, Yoda of Dagobah, Rebel on Tauntaun (I think), other filler

First game I faced the Imperial trooper swarm. Played on my map (Death Star) and pretty much obliterated him. Of course, this was a guy who's only been playing SWM for like 2 weeks. The Storm Commandos took out 3 to 4 Navy Troopers every round, and with Stealth, he never could hit them back. I think I lost one Stormtrooper, and that was more of a 'gimmie' just to not be too terribly mean.

Second game, faced the Seek and Destroy squad. Played on this guy's map (Mustafar) but I won side. Why he wanted to play Mustafar...no clue. But I got the good side of the map. He set up Boba, R2, and the JWM on the island, and then advanced through the side rooms. I set things up such that his JWM died at the beginning of the 2nd round. From there it was clean-up. I sacrificed one Storm Commando to put 60 on Boba at the beginning of one round, and then finished him off the next round. I think this game last a whole 12 minutes. After wards, my opponent wanted a quick rematch (while we were waiting on everyone else to play) and wanted to play on Death Star instead. It would've gone pretty much the same way, except that my Storm Commandos missed 6 out of 8 attacks on Boba BH, when they were based to him. So, somewhat a fluke, but I won the game that counted, so I didn't really care.

Last game, I faced the Boba Enforcer, JWM 2x squad. We played on Rancor pit, and I had the 'bad' side. Using the 'chute', as I've heard Bill call it, at the top, I pegged one of the JWMs for some damage early on, then finished him off on a follow up round. Opponent closed in with the other JWM, but with Thrawn's Ysalimiri, there was really nothing he could do. Boba Enforcer died quickly following the last JWM.

So, 3-0, and I learned just how deadly the Swiss Army Knife really can be. Still, rolling less than a 7, 6 times in a row during that quick rematch with my round 2 opponent was frustrating, because with this squad, if you miss a few key shots like that, and end up losing a Storm Commando because of it, you're pretty much hosed at that point. I got an extra Rebel Vanguard for my efforts (Rares we pulled in the prize boxes I already had :P).

Onto Sunday....YottaQuest, 150 Pts DCI.

I decided to try one of the latest variants for Han Cannon, as I've never been able to effectively run that squad yet. So, I played: Han Scoundrel, Princess Leia, Luke HPU, Golan, Obi FG, R2, Juno, 2 Ugos. I decided to chose Yavin Temple as my map (didn't want to be mean and play Mustafar).

YottaQuest has a lot of newer players, so the spread of squads was pretty odd, and I can't remember what everybody played. Let's just put it that one of the kids was running a Knobby White Spider. First time i've seen it played. :P

First round. Faced the dad of one of the new kids who's been coming out. He's played some various games like this over the years, so he's not bad, but still needs to come a long ways. He played VSA, Obi Unleashed, Luke HPU, Hoth Repeating Blaster Cannon, and a Twi'lek Agent. We played on my Yavin Temple map, and I got the 'inside' area, with the Golan set up adjacent to the door. First round, he advanced his Luke and the Agent down one side of the map, and OBI and VSA down the opposite side, leaving the Hoth E-web in the middle. I used R2 to open the far door, and Han blasted the cannon to bits. Next round, I eliminated Luke at the beginning of the round with the Han/Leia combo. Obi-Wan was the next to bite it, but I had to trade Juno for in that exchange. With the VSA brimming with FP now, he managed to Force Push 4, and then 5 the next round on my Luke HPU, but the combo of Han and Leia finished him off. Was a pretty easy game, though I played quite relaxed and let him have several kills that I probably would've avoided in a more competitive game.

2nd game, against the mom of one of the other kids. She's been coming out every week with her two boys, which is really cool. Her and they boys aren't great at squad-building yet, but they're getting there. She was playing Uggernaut, Wat Tambor, Octuptarra Droid, BG Droid, ASP-7, SBDC, and a couple SBDs. We played on her Throne room map, and I set up on the Throne side, with the Golan in the middle room. A couple rounds of positioning, then she got a nice Furious Assault against the Golan, Luke, and an Ugo. But the Han Cannon was just too much against such fragile characters. This one was over fairly quick.

3rd game, played against the guy who was at ACME with the Imp Navy Trooper horde, only this time, he'd expanded the build. He had Veers, Ozzel, Piett, SDO, Mas, Felucian STO, Stormtrooper Officer, and 8 (I think) Imp Navy Troopers. We played on Yavin, he took the hangar side. I was stupid and set up my turret right next to the door, forgetting that he had Ozzel (was just planning to activate it last). So the Golan took 100 damage (10 hits from Opportunist Troopers) in the first round. Luckily, the Han/Leia combo was able to take out two troops before they got to activate, otherwise, the Golan probably would've died, lol. I advanced my pieces up the top side, and managed to set up a nice way to use an R2 Override, and a FP for movement with Han and take out the Felucian STO. Made killing the Troopers a LOT easier. Opponent did roll a 6 for init on the next round, and brought in a Sandtrooper and a Heavy Trooper, and the Heavy promptly eliminated my Golan. I got super lucky on one of the next rounds though, and found an LOS that allowed Han to wack Piett. This exposed my Han a bit though, and his Heavy Trooper landed a Crit on him. Luckily, I made the evade (after a FPRR), as that 60 damage would've killed Han. Was pretty much clean up from there.

4th game. Faced my buddy Mike (3302 on many of the forums), who was playing Boba BH, Aurra Sing, Nym, BBSV, 2 Sevs. We played on his map (Muunilist) which sucked, because I couldn't place my Golan anywhere near the gambit zone. Luckily, from where I did end up having to put the Golan, it earned it's keep by still putting about 50-60 damage on Nym throughout the game. I got a nice LOS with Han on an unactivated Sev that was 8 squares from the BBSV at the time, and wiped him out. I took a big risk at the end of Round 3, and set up for some attacks against Aurra. I won init, Luke did a FP4 on her, the Han followed up with a Twin Cunning. Leia and the Golan then finished off Nym that round, and that kept the damage on my various pieces much lower for that round. Following round I finished off Aurra, and advanced toward Fett. Made a couple of decent Evade saves with Han, and then, I won the next init, based Boba, and killed him with a Han Leia combo. I was really worried going into this game, as Mike had already Disintegrated a Luke HPU, Shaak Ti JM, Vader Unleashed, Emperor Palpatine, and at least 1 or 2 other decent pieces in his first 3 games. So, lucky for me, he wasted all his 20s earlier in the day. :P

So, I went 4-0, and came away with an extra Corran Horn. Was bummed that our store didn't have the March Promo yet, as I would've been happy to let somebody else have the Corran and just got a promo Mando instead. ;) I'm anxious to try out the Han Cannon at ACME sometime though, where I know I'll face more powerful squad builds, and more competitive players.

Post subject: Re: Reports from Cincinnati (3/6 and 3/9)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:29 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Interesting. Good job man. :saber:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Swiss Army Knife is by far the most annoying squad I have ever played against. There's not much you can do in 100 to fight that kind of initiative control without sacrificing the power of your squad.

Did you like playing it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I did really enjoy it. Other than the one on-the-side game that I played against my round 2 opponent, where the SCs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.