logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Pastimes, Niles, IL 200 points melee only tourney
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:19 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Rules - standard squad building except if a fig does not have the Melee Attack special ability it cannot be played.

This format intruiged me as it dispenses with override, disruptive, superstealth, MTBs and a ton of other annoying game mechanics that are kind of annoying to play against. Then again they are only replaced by other game mechanics that are just as annoying in this format. Still the tourney was great fun and there was a large variety of team types displayed. We had about 12 for this tourney so it was quite a good turn out.

I ran

'Twin Towers'
Revan
Bane
10 x Ewoks
Map = Ossus

some of the other squads were (names of squads are my invention)

Gunner "yoda's Pets'
Yoda CS
2 x Felcor
Mas Amedda
Weequay leader
Jabba Crimelord
uggie

Andy 'Vong invasion'
Warmaster
Yomin
3 x subaltern
AAO
4 x warrior
4 x scout
OSUSS

Timmerb123 'Uggie detonation'
Kota
2 x uggie boss
Ithorinan Commander
few Aqualish Assassins
4 x Varactyl Wrangler
lots of uggies
DESTROYED BASE

Tim 'WHole lot of teeth and Claws'
Kota
2 x Gundarks
3 x wookiee commandoes
3 x varactyl wrangers
Vronska
Ithorian commander
Weequay Leader
Weequay Merc
RANCOR PIT

Ron 'Exars detonating Uggies'
Exar Kuhn
Proxy
2 x Massassi
Uggie boss
10 uggies

Melvin 'Gundarks from Hell'
Kota
3 x gundarks
4 x varactyl Wranglers
weekquay leader
2 aqualish
2 chandra fans
ithorian commander
uggie
JEDI TEMPLE

Kid i'm ashamed that i can't remember his name
FelCor
Corran Horn
Jaina
Jacen
Young Jedi Knight
Mystryl

Ed 'mighty jedi'
Quinlan Vos Inf
Gen WIndu
JWM
Shaak Ti
Mas Amedda
Fodder

Jacob 'SOoooo many droids'
Kazdan
Quinlan Inf
Quigonn JM
JWM
Boussh
some other things i can't remember

Ted ran a felcor and Loda squad i think. can't remember exactly
there was another republic squad aswell i think.

Anyway, testing squad soming up to this tourney i realised that parrying felcors were gonna be everywhere. The fact that they can get juiced by Yoda CS, weequay leaders and Jabba is scary stuff so some method of getting around parry was important. I was initially gonna run vong as Yomin Carr and the warmaster with warriors is a nasty combo and spit gets around parry even if it requires a save itself your not based by the felcor. I came up with the simple Revan/Bane combo in the morning (throw, storm and corruption all by pass parry), a coin flip decided that squad for me so i was all set.

1st game v Gunner 'yodas pets'
I won map and we played on Ossus.
I gave him the inside because his huges have difficulty setting up on the platform and i didn't want his rancors with an edge to the center.
He advanced his felcors down the center of the steps in indian file and kept his command crew (including Yoda) in the top corner. I Started positioning ewoks so that his way was blocked and started hitting the Felcor with LS throw and corruption. Gunner realised that his felcors were in a spot of danger with hindered movement and the ranged force powers and moved yoda up. A raged LS throw, failed corruption save and a final corruption ended the 1st felcor while the 2nd tried to manuver around the ewok screen. Yoda moved up to help but was ambushed by the sith who based him from 8 spaces out hitting him twice for 60. MT won init and Yoda was no more. The game was mop up after that. The felcor finished the ewoks but not before the felcors command crew was dead. Bane and Revan finished the felcor with throws and corruptions.

1-0

Game 2 v Melvin 'Gundarks from Hell' on Ossus

This game was very close, one of the closest i've had in ages. Again on Ossus and again i started on the platform.
He moved straight down the steps and i moved my ewoks out to the sides of the pad and tentitively moved up the sith side by side. I used intuition (revans CE) followed by throw to pick off an aqualish. He advanced further while my ewoks advanced on his wranglers trying to remove empathy from the board. I then used intuition to step into the middle of Kota, Weequay leader, Wranlger and 2 x chadra fan. I took 50 dmg doing this but i fetl the pay off was worth it as i rage swept the lot killing all except kota and putting 50 on him. Revan corrupted the last Chadra fan and i felt quite confident. Then Kota repulsed.
I totaly spaced and miss counted the rounds for repulse and miss placed Revan. Bane, revan and a Gundark all took 50 (DA save failed) and Revan got pushed one way and Bane the other. Revan ended up next to a Gundark yet to be activated. he ended up with 30 hp left after the gundark and the 2 others nearby wailing on him. My ewoks set to work on the rest of the wranglers and basically the round finished with 1 wrangler, a wounded Kota, 3 gundarks in different states of well being, the ithorian commander and an uggie v a near dead Revan, wounded bane and a spattering of Ewoks.
With init i was able to take out Kota via intuition followed by an assault with bane who then backed away from the gundarks. Revan put 60 dmg on an un wounded gundark. Melvin then did what probably cost him the game, he grenaded an adjacent ewok with his remaining Wrangler that killed the wrangler. His Gundarks were now savage. It took 2 gundarks to kill revan then. While ewoks picked away at them putting 20 on the other unwounded gundark. An uggie put 20 more on Bane before being offed by an ewok. One gundark advanced. After init Bane Assulted the gundark killing him while the ithorian beat on Bane. The next round Bane put away the second Gundark with a throw but in the process took more dmg leaving him with 30 left. He got based by the final gundark and the Ithorian commander. It was the init for the game. I won it and a sweep finished the challengers.

2-0

V Ron 'Exars detonating uggies' on Ossus

After the last strung out drudge battle this was decided in about 4 rounds.
I got the inside this time and realised you can't get gambit first round like you can with the left. Interesting to note.
I moved down the steps and he advanced up. I started the action with an intuition/throw on proxy putting 50 on him. ROn then marched up 6 uggies and transfered essence putting 40 on bane and 30 on Revan. Exar tripled Bane and did another 60, Bane at 100 left. Revan moved and corrupted Kuhn leaving him at 160. Proxy moved up and Hit Revan but it was blocked. With init revan put 60 on Kuhn and Bane finished him. That was pretty much game. proxy lasted not much longer. The massassi did some dmg but there was no come back from losing Exar.

3-0

V Tim 'Whole lot of teeth and Claws'
This squad was similar to Melvins and having seen the brutal nature of the gundarks in the previous game i was wary of not exposing myself to repulses or gundark bases.
I moved tentitively down the steps gauging his advance. The intuition/throw took out his Weequay merc (rolled a 1 first so needed to spend a force to gethim this time). I had my ewoks set up on either side of the step looking to ambush wranglers and other fodder for cheap kills. Revan corrupted a gundark and backed up the steps. As the teeth and claws moved up the steps there were pitched battles of ewoks throwing themselves at the gundarks and wookiees. One wrangler pitched a grenade that killed an ewok but took 10 off his Gundark, it was an important 10. Bane got based by another gundark and a wookiee.
The next round saw Bane assault the corrupted gundark who died. Bane took an AoO and backed up behind an ewok screen. The steps hindered the wookiees to the extent that they couldn't get a clear momentum charge. Ewoks threw themselves at the wookiee geting lucky hits with revan bonus and swarm putting 30 on the lead wookiee. Revan moved to finish the lead wookiee and rolled back to back 1's. So the ewok moved up to show him how it was done killing the wookiee and maintaing the screen. Kota moved and hit revan but the hit was blocked.
The next init Bane intuitioned and raged on the Gundark with 80 left. The gundark died. Revan tripled Kota, missing once but criting on the last. 2 wookiees then momentumed bane for 60 dmg. While the wranglers started chucking grenades on the ewoks. Kota doubled on Revan getting 20 on the duelist.
Initiative saw the end of the final Wookiees and revan take Kota down to 10 hp. Kota repulsed killing a wrangler and putting more hurt on Revan and Bane. The ewoks then finished off the other 2 wranglers.
Kota died next round and bane marched forward to the platform to kill the advancing Ithorian.

4-0.

Summary - Bane and Revan worked better than I expected. Intuition throws and assaults with Master tactitian were the order of the day. The 2 sith eliminate threats (even large behemoth threats like Kuhn) rapidly which is a key factor in this game at all formats. The ewoks with +4 and swarm were suprisingly effective in fodder battles.
There were probably a few squad that would have caused me a lot of trouble, vong and the exploding uggie swarm being 2 i was paticulally worried about.

It was a great tourney. Thanks to all that came.

Post subject: Re: Pastimes, Niles, IL 200 points melee only tourney
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:16 pm 
General
General

Excellent tournament report! That sounds like a fun format.

Here's my quick attempt at an all-Melee squad:
47 Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
36 General Kenobi
35 Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master
34 Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator
32 B'omarr Monk
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
[200pts. 8 activations]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:59 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

shinja wrote:
Excellent tournament report! That sounds like a fun format.

Here's my quick attempt at an all-Melee squad:
47 Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
36 General Kenobi
35 Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master
34 Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator
32 B'omarr Monk
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
[200pts. 8 activations]

Its not bad, there is lot of beef there but you need to rely on more than just melee pieces. Some push, throw, grenades, self destruct etc is needed to deal with the parrying Rancor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:23 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

DP