logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 in Owensboro KY 2/9/08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Man our numbers were down this week. We had 5, and one of them left early.

Anyway, I have being playing (and winning with) San, Boba BH, Aurra JH, Lobot, Ug x3 ever since I got back from GenCon, and so I saw no reason to stop yesterday. :)

(I wish I had played it AT Gencon; thanks LoboStele for showing me the true power of that squad.)

Round 1 vs. Thrawn, Aurra Sing, Boba BH, Wicket, Ug x2 on Death Star

I made a very ballsy decision at the start of the game. My reinforcements were Muun Tactics Broker and Ug x4. I really didn't have a good plan for getting rid of the MTB, I just hoped I could pull a win out before it mattered.

Each round I removed a reinforcement Ug from play, securing me control of the game for the first 4 rounds. I eliminated both my opponent's Ugs and Wicket, and had control of the gambit zone. In round 5, I removed a main-squad Ug from play and began moving the MTB (actually I began moving it 3 rounds prior but was finally close enough to do what needed to be done) toward my opponent's Aurra Sing. My intention was to base, then flamethrow with Boba, but he saw that and so he moved away, giving up an aoo from both San and the MTB in the process, as both of them were based. I realized then that I could not do what I needed to do if I continued to activate 1 at a time. So, I moved my Aurra away from the center battle and hoped she could take out his Boba before things got too dicey.

Next round, I removed San from play and then moved the MTB adjacent to his Aurra. Boba came through the door and used flamethrower, killing his Aurra in the process.

Later in the game I made a mistake that almost cost me. My Aurra JH had been disintegrated, and he sent Thrawn after my Boba, trying to base him so that I couldn't roll Evade saves. I had an Ugnaught in Gambit, but I moved it out of the gambit zone on a stupid impulse to attack Thrawn. Try to realize of course, that a lot of background chatter was going on and the other players were watching us play, so I was somewhat distracted - and feeling rushed.
If I had left the Ug where he was, I would have secured victory via Gambit, as the score was something like 139 to 71. The next round I used Boba to kill Thrawn and then moved into Gambit. I just had to survive 2 rounds to win.

So, it was the last round. My Boba was at 60, his was at 100. He won init, moved 6 to base my Boba, and rolled attacks. One hit, leaving my Boba at 40. Then I rolled. As the d20 left my hand, but before it hit the table, someone behind me called, "Disintegration!"

The d20 rolled and stopped. I blinked.

20! ~DSBoom

Wow.
1-0

Game 2 vs RS Obi, Luke HPU, Han in Stormtrooper Armor, HK, Ug, Chewbacca Enraged Wookiee on Rancor Pit (my map, which I bring because there are NO pits and everyone loves Force Push).

(As I am sitting here typing this I realize that he was 10 points over lol.)

This time I went for my standard block of reinforcements when playing San: Aqualish Assassin x2, Ug x2.

Boba and Aurra completely mopped up, and even though Luke HPU gained Obi's Force Spirit, you can't survive when you can't make your deflect saves and then get charred. :jango:

2-0

Game 3, my opponent had to leave at his wife's insistence, so default victory to me! :P

I am very ready for a new set now.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 150 in Owensboro KY 2/9/08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:37 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I while back I had one of those critical disintigrations. I was having a bugger of a time playing against Blog's Nom Bomb squad. I was making hardly any thud bug or poison saves for Boba. Finally I made a last ditch advance and had Boba base Nom. Got the 20 killing his undamaged Nom to remove him and his CE from the game and let my Wookiees get to work.

The place I play is down a bit too. We used to manage enough players so that the store owner would split the younger players up from the older ones and have two smaller tournies. That way the kids wouldn't get discouraged from constantly losing to the older players. Now its hit and miss on whither we get 8 players for a full three round tourny without any byes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice job Boris. :D

And you're welcome. I tell you, between myself and several of the other guys from ACME, we tested a bunch of stuff throughout May and early June. We even did away with playing DCI for a couple months just to test squads for the championships, and three of us (me, James, Steve Reppart) all came away from those first couple weeks convinced that San was one of our best options.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:38 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Good going boris, I do hope your numbers improve, new set should help with that.

ImageImage