logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: To good not to share....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:28 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

That's a good one, thanks for sharing.

-b

SWM Promo Resource Thread: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=515328
My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=208
Star Wars Mini Trader - Come Trade With Us!
http://www.smithohio.com/swminis/
bkweikert@embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:59 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Yes, Dean is a cheater. He cheated me out of money. He cheated to make sure I never pulled a Rancor. He cheated to make sure that no Luke is ever a decent commander. He is the cause of the hole in the Ozone layer AND the national defecit (sp?). He is just plain evil!
Of all days to not be in Lamar. I would have loved to have been there! You know I wouldn't have kept my mouth shut, b/c one of "those guys" already burned me once, and I will get my revenge!
Glad you had a good confrontation, Dean. It brings out the best in you, especially since you always keep your cool, and just let them dig their own graves!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:41 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Wow, I'd hate to have to tolerate guys like that showing up every week to the LGS I go to. Congrats on winning the tourney.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So if you're on time have they scoped your car in the parking lot and decide to not come in or do they walk in with their gear and turn around when they see you sitting at a table? Put'em in their place :boba:

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Dean,
the more I read about your locals (Those in question)
the more it mjust floors me!

I've never been "The Best" in any of my local venues... but I've had some run-in like yours in the past-
because I paly by "all" the rules... :roll:

How cool would it be to have one of them D/Q'ed for their shennanigans...?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:17 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

My venue is small (but growing) I can't count on 4 people every week unless I get this one guy to come. He builds squads with lots of low to-hit attacks, does not combine fire, and then complains that his dice hate him when he can't roll the 17+ he needs to hit my higher defense pieces. He also told me to my face that when I explain the rules, I always seem to be the one who benefits. One example was when he used the new dark trooper with splash. He hit my Sev, but I had a BBSV as well, so Sev got to evade. Sev makes his evade, so he wants me to roll for splash damage save. I told him that evade only negates the damage, not the fact that the character was hit and he blew up at me. He is a grown man and has no sense of strategy or tactics. No one at the store likes him, but we tolerate him so that we can have enough people to run events on a weekly basis. Also Dean, I feel your pain on the rulings and "Map switchers." I am the rulings guy at my venue because I know the rules the best and have tried to memorize all the faqs, ect. They always ask me stuff during games as well. And not only does the same guy want to switch maps between rounds, he wants to switch pieces or entire builds between rounds! This week was great because I ended up missing out on playing against him in the pairings! :lol:

I don't know what I would do if I had a whole group of people like this one guy, I'd probably have the urge to skip the Force Choke and move right on to the Physical Choking. :lol: ~DSBoom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:16 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dean,

I think what you probably need to do is just stop answering rules questions. Do these guys not have rulebooks? And I don't just mean the ones that are giving you grief; what about the other players? When someone asks a question of me at our SWM games, if it's something that's difficult, then I try to answer it as best I can, and I often go to one of the other adults for confirmation. They do the same with me. Sometimes there's a conflict, but we always get it resolved. I have also stopped my opponent to point out rules issues in his or her favor (like yesterday when I reminded my opponent his Luke could use LS Deflect, when I realized he thought it worked exactly like Evade). We have never had a problem doing it that way.

Other times, if it's a CARQ (commonly asked rules question), I ask back, "What does the card say?" You'd be surprised how many times that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then I pull out the rulebook and read the definition to them and ask what they think it means. If someone doesn't want the rulebook to be used it probably means they already know the right answer and are trying to discredit you. Had it been me in that situation you described above, I would probably have pulled the book out anyway and read the definition aloud for the benefit of everyone else.

Hate to hear that a couple of people who don't want to read the rulebook and learn for themselves are spoiling it for everyone else. Unfortunately, guys like that just shouldn't be playing this or any other game if that's the case.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'm with Boris-
Lobostele (who has taken over for me and Berning) as the "Rules guy"
often refuse to answer "Easy " questions- instead hand over a rule book and say "...Figure it out..."\f

I used to T.O. for HeroClix and once a month, BEFORE anybody actually played- we had a Rules test of 10 questions
(I just read how you've got the test Q's started for DCI judges- this could work...!)
then after every body finished their test, we played a low point game-
their test question scores counted to their Win/loss scoring...

just thoughts...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, my first reponse to almost every single Rules question is "What does the card say?" Sure, some of the card wordings are a bit tricky, but most of the time, it's painfully obvious what the correct answer is.

Dean, maybe you should print out a copy of the Floor Rules, and then highlight the areas that those guys typically fuss about. Then you can just flip to it, and point it out whenever they want to fuss about stuff.

Have you mentioned to them that you've been selected to be the net rep for DCI? Might say "Now, do you think they'd choose someone for that position who doesn't know anything, or is a habitual cheater?" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:47 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Ugg, Dean I know how you feel. There is a guy like that in Milwaukee who does so many things, too many to list.

But anyways, last time I went up there to play, one of the other guys said I ripped him off in an ebay scam...

And to explain, I bid on his wicket $3 when A&E was released. It had an hour left, I figured why not, didnt have one yet, didnt even realize it was his lol. I lost. No biggie, bid on other auctions and finally got Wicket for around the same price. A month later, he tells me I owe him $10 for the Wicket auction because I was really the high bidder and Ebay screwed up! I laugh and I say, "Go ahead and report it to ebay then". Remember I bid $3, not $10, and his shipping was standard, $1 or $1.50 I think. He claimed that ebay had forgotten to send the message to the right guy, etc. I still have no report listed for any such auction, or any feedback negatives, etc.

Needless to say, I never hear about it again from him, until I hear from one of the other guys that he has been telling them I ripped him off, and that I cheat on rules, and other garbage. Well, needless to say, this is the same guy who also got mad because when Matt and I started coming up there, he couldnt make trades (since I make really good deals for the kids and often just give them stuff.) In other words, he cant rip them off as he explicitly told me he liked to do, the first time I was there (and hadnt told them who I was). Not to mention, he has plays almost every week up there, except when Matt and I show up which is about once per month. Then he does the same as Dean's guy, he walks in with all his stuff, and sees us, then says he doesnt have enough time to play that day.

Only time he has played when we are there since last April was the TFU release - where, not only did i kick the crap out of him, but he started turn 2 by complaining about how unfair his pulls were, and how mine were so much better. And you want to laugh more?

I had Luke HPU and VAR and a Golan Turrett. He had Luke HPU and Vader U to go with a TTD. I hardly call that unfair. Needless to say, I won quickly. And that was it. There are several other issues with this tool box, but I those are as personally connected to myself. So Dean, I understand :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:52 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, my first reponse to almost every single Rules question is "What does the card say?" Sure, some of the card wordings are a bit tricky, but most of the time, it's painfully obvious what the correct answer is.

Dean, maybe you should print out a copy of the Floor Rules, and then highlight the areas that those guys typically fuss about. Then you can just flip to it, and point it out whenever they want to fuss about stuff.

Have you mentioned to them that you've been selected to be the net rep for DCI? Might say "Now, do you think they'd choose someone for that position who doesn't know anything, or is a habitual cheater?" :lol:

This all seems like a good clean solution. Have the rules out and let them bicker amongst themselves. You can enforce your own games to be fully correct and maybe they'll show up more regularly to find the whole venue points out correct rulings to them rather than just yourself.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

If some people at your LGS are becoming that big of a problem, then maybe you should tell the store manager about it.

Edited, Reason: Grammar error.

Last edited by Xanthan on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

dnemiller wrote:
I dont bother him with it and he knows as this guy and another come in almost every day and grip about me....

Like my LGS wants hear about my Life through the words of another.... man what a tool

I just go there and play.... and oh yeah one other thing I spend money there too....

I dont come in his store and say I could get that booster cheaper on Ebay.... like this guy does...

So my LGS owner I think knows who is the honorable one by actions not words

That is what my problem player does, too. my LGS owner has all his minis product on shelf out in the middle of the store so that people can easily see what he has in stock. This guy comes in and shakes every single booster and asked the owner to call him before he opens any new product so he can come to the store and cherry pick it. The owner refused and said he may put all of his product behind the counter as he does with the various card games. The problem gamer got upset and said the only reason he doesn't get them on-line is because he can cherry pick them in the store.... so the owner tells him to go right ahead and order online. lol
I do my fair share of on-line orders, but that is because the LGS does not carry singles for SWM. I always get at least a case from the LGS and then single boosters on top of that.

Anyone want to move to downeast Maine so we can drop this loser? please? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:33 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I really have no complaints about our venue, I feel sorry for you guys who have to deal with that stuff, at some point you need to tell yourself that it is a game, not a vendetta.

Dean, move to Carbondale :p

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:22 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

It couldn't have been put any better!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:52 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well worded and pretty general. Things that ever player should know. I may print that and save it for our venue, for inexperienced players.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

So by the way I read this, it sounds like you get points added to your DCI score for how many points you scored during the game right? What if your opponent decides not to play the game and surrenders at the start of the game? Do you get any points added to your DCI score or all you get is a free win?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice write-up but if those guys aren't willing to read anything else regarding the rules...

Also, who is your judge for these DCI events? The guy that combined his reinforcement points with his regular points should have been DQed from the event, or at least told to redesign his squad to make it legal.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

^^ The guy who combined the Reinforcements with his remaining points should have just been told to choose different reinforcements that fit in the 20 points, and he would have to forfeit the remaining 12 points in the squad itself.

I tell you Dean, you must have a decent amount of patience, because I'm pretty sure that I would have asked a person like that to not come back again after all of this. Hopefully your letter there can help change some things. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

dnemiller wrote:
your DCi score?!?!?!

Are you talking about DCI rating????

I am confused by your statement......

I meant DCI rating. I was thinking that you get points added to your DCI rating equal to the amount of points you score in each DCI game.