logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 100 Point DCI - Abington, MA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Ug… writing this to take my mind off last night’s superbowl… ouch. Don’t bring it up, just read the synopsis and leave it at that. :|

100 Point DCI Tournament – Abington, MA

Had a very small turnout (only 5!) the smallest turnout I’ve ever seen at my LGS which usually draws 10-14. But I’m guessing people were still getting their SB plans together and didn’t think they’d get back in time for the game. But we ended up having time for a small 100 point tournament which ended just before the game started.

My Squad:

Luke Skywalker and Yoda 70
Princess Leia 20
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3 9

Map: Cloud City
Total: 99

No surprises here. Loda is the man at controlling the game, and Leia makes him an offensive weapon. Won with him last time, so yes, I went to the well twice in a row. Some uggy’s for activations and door control, and away we went.

First Opponent: the dreaded BYE (only my second ever). Hey at least it was a first round bye. 1-0.

Second Opponent:

Han Solo, Scoundrel 46
Princess Leia 20
Lando, Dashing Scoundrel 18
R2-D2 8
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2 6

Map: Ruined Base
Total: 98

A very good player with a Han Cannon build (opting to use R2 instead of Obi, FS, and it ended up being the better choice for this tournament). He won map, I won side, taking the inside of the hidden base. I got into gambit before he did and set myself up for his assault. As he came around the side (through the control room and top side of the map), he opened the door between us to jump out and take a twin attack with Han (only one of them hit Loda for 30) but when he mobiled back, he was still 12 spaces away from Loda even using his force point (a mistake for sure). So I ran up 12 using force points, twin attacked, and then Leia came around to give him the other twin attack. Dead Han. But, he set me up to pay a price. My Leia had to be moved into LOS to get the CE to reach, and he killed my Leia with his Leia and Lando, and then locked the door I just ran through, essentially cutting me off from my ugnaughts and gambit. I ran in and killed Lando, before he retreated out the back with R2 and Leia, locking doors behind him. He finally made it all the way around to the gambit area, killed two of my ugnaughts hiding in the gambit lift, and then locked Leia and R2 inside the turbo lift to get gambit points himself. However, I still had one ugnaught following Loda that I had kept out of line of sight. I blew open the door, and he conceded. 2-0.

Third Opponent:

Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter 62
R2, Astromech Droid 9
Jedi Weapon Master 26
Ugnaught Demolitionist 3

Map: Cloud City
Total: 100

Frickin’ lame Broken Boba. I’m tired of it. But hey, if you don’t feel like using your brain, then use this squad. It wins with hardly any strategy at all. He’s a good player, so I made fun of him for playing it (he decided to play last second and said he didn’t have any time to come up with something different on short notice). So before we met in the final round he said “Oh great, now he’s going to kick my @#$% for playing Broken Boba.” Yup.

Anyways, both of us had Cloud City, I took inside. Both of us met in the gambit room on turn one. He won the first initiative and flew R2 and Boba into the room, within 6 of Loda (again, a sure mistake). I responded with a Force Push 3, killing R2 and putting pain on Boba. Then I stunned his weapon master AND Boba Fett and used Leia to put the JWM at 20 HP. Great first turn. Next turn, he moved in with the Weapon Master to attack Loda, but I cancelled his Lightsaber assault and he only got one attack. Then Boba moved out of Loda’s Alter range to attempt a disintegrate, the only thing that could win the game for him. He didn’t get it, so I took the AoO to base Boba Fett and hit him for 90 using Leia, killing him. With the Weapon Master at 20 HP, he conceded. 3-0 and the tournament.

For my efforts I got Shaak-Ti, Jedi Master, which gave me something to cuddle after the super-bowl ended, when I was rolled into the fetal position sucking my thumb. Ok, I made that last part up… kinda.

Post subject: Re: 100 Point DCI - Abington, MA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cool report! Nice job on taking down the Broken Boba squad.

Not sure of the exact situation, but if you used Force Defense to cancel a Lightsaber Assault, the player using Assault gets no attacks that turn, because they already replaced them! So at that point, the 'attack' part of that character's turn has already been replaced, but you stopped the Force Power from allowing what replaced those attacks to happen. Not sure if that really makes sense, even when I re-read it. But the short-version is....Lightsaber Assault, then Force Defense = no attacks by the JWM that turn.

So, if you're playing a character with Assault, you should never use Assault against somebody with enough FPs to use Defense. You get stuck with a full round of no attacking with that character, lol.

Either way, sounds like you won pretty easily. Nice job!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:15 am 

Thanks, Lobo, unfortunately I knew that rule, and still missed it during the turn (I've done it to Aurra's Blaster Barrage, much to the chagrin of my opponent). I actually realized the mistake immediately AFTER the turn, but the game was over anyways. And Loda only took a total of 60 damage the entire game, so it really didn't matter. At the time I was more concerned about what he was going to do with his Boba. If he didn't get the D, then I was going to win, so I could care less what the JWM was doing at the time.

When I told my opponent the ruling afterwards he said it made sense, but he still would have done the assault just to get rid of my force points, rather than hit for a measly 20 damage.

Well, live/play and learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Nice playing Ace, I like Loda in 100, and it looks like you pulled his stuff together nicely.

ImageImage