logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 point tournament in Owensboro KY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well I had to leave early so I sat this one out but I did watch the first couple of rounds.
After FU came out a lot of people, me included, were running Force Push, so it was only natural for Thrawn to start reappearing out of fear of being pushed to death.

2 people who played ran Thrawn squads with some Vader and Ozzel, while others there used San Hill or Revan to deal with the initiative controller. I think there were 9 players in all.

The lesson learned during the tournament was "ALWAYS BRING YOUR UGNAUGHTS." One of the guys in round 2 playing on Rancor Pit got his entire squadron of Stormtroopers locked behind the door on his starting side (the Rancor Pen, I think it is called) and had to battle his opponent's entire collection of Force users including Luke HPU, Redeemed Apprentice, and Yoda of Dagobah with just Thrawn and Vader Unleashed.

After the game, I pointed out to him that Lightsaber Throw 5 ignores cover, but he didn't realize that during the game, so he obviously lost. Although I felt bad for the guy, it's just impossible not to laugh, especially since he's one of the better players at our venue.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 200 point tournament in Owensboro KY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:38 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Yeah, Dennis. That reminds me of the last time I visited Dean over in Lamar. He taught a guy named Chris about the value of the Ugnaught! He locked Boba, BH in the Rancor Pen with the simple phrase, "I'm never letting him out!"

So, you scoped what they were all playing. Does that give you a good idea what to play next time?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:37 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I'd build 200 point squads without them. A squad can still function vs override on the three 200 point maps without them as long as you're smart enough to not start a big part of your squad in a lockable area like the rancor pit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

homer_sapien wrote:
I'd build 200 point squads without them. A squad can still function vs override on the three 200 point maps without them as long as you're smart enough to not start a big part of your squad in a lockable area like the rancor pit.

at 200 you're also a lot more likely to have one of the many other pieces that can deal with override.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:53 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

homer_sapien wrote:

How do you deal with Chancelor's Starship?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I made the dumb mistake of getting pieces locked in the Rancor Pen a couple months ago. Right after GenCon. We were doing a Faction pure night, and I was running Imperials, and chose not to include a Storm Commando. So, brilliant me, against a Rebel player with R2/3PO got my Vader JH and a few stormies locked in the pen right away, lol. I think after GenCon my brain just didn't want to function, lol. The guy I was playing against said he'd let me out, but I told him it was my own dumb fault, and to play it out however he wanted to. Thrawn and a couple Stormies against an entire Rebel squad doesn't work too well, lol. Was a quick game, hahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

billiv15 wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

How do you deal with Chancelor's Starship?

Which door could be locked on that one that it would still be a problem if you were careful with your set up?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It's not a matter of having a problem with your set-up. It's about getting to and/or controlling the gambit area. A player with Override on the Challencor's Starship (Throne Room) vs. a player with no door control at all will have a very rough time getting gambit points from the right side of the map. Especially if you lose initiative on the 2nd round.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:12 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

A round or two of gambit isn't something I'm going to worry about all that much in a 200 point game. 150 maybe, 100 definetely, but not in 200. Not when its such a small chance that on that rare time I can't fit any door control at all into my squad that I will face somebody who is using that map, I lose both map and side roll, and they're playing with override.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It's going to be more than "a round or two."

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, it's not just the gambit issue either. A player with override and good movement/placement will be able to completely control the flow of the game. They'll only let you get one or two pieces in past the doors at a time. Or they'll play door tricks and open/close things in ways that he'll get to blast away at you, but you get no shots in return. No door control at all = loss, pretty much 100% of the time against a high caliber player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

What LoboStele said.

When I think of Gambit I'm not thinking of the 5 pt. gain at the end of a round, I'm referring to overall scoring.

(ie kills equal gambit points)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 am 

homer_sapien wrote:
A round or two of gambit isn't something I'm going to worry about all that much in a 200 point game. 150 maybe, 100 definetely, but not in 200. Not when its such a small chance that on that rare time I can't fit any door control at all into my squad that I will face somebody who is using that map, I lose both map and side roll, and they're playing with override.

Side and set up have nothing to do with it. I will beat you 99% of the time on Chancelor's if I have override and you have no door control from either side.

If you are on the right side of Starship you also create an unnecessary problem for yourself, as well as both sides of Rancor pit. In fact, the best feature of the Rancor right side, is the chute. You cannot use it without door control.

Not to mention, in timed DCI 200pt games, 1-2 rounds of just gambit scoring do change games, whether you believe it or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:37 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I'm pretty sure you'd beat me most of the time whether I had door control or not. Fact is if I'm playing a 200 point game on a random Friday night at my LGS I'm not going to worry about door control to the point where I'll drop something else just so I can fit it in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well sure, local Meta will determine that a lot. But I can tell you that in our play group, one of the young kids ran double Override a couple weeks ago. And what do you know? More people were asking if anybody had extra Ugnaughts for trade the following week. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:05 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I've been trying to decide how many ugs is enough. I thought the 7 I had would do until my LGS ran a free ugnaught night where you could add them to your squad for free. They've also done free ewoks (just the RS one) and half price Bespin Guards. Been making me rethink how many of some of the utility commons is enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:10 pm 

I go with 3 at 200pts. I like to allow myself the option of making a mistake and getting one killed. I also prefer to always include them in the main build rather than Loboting them in, as it keeps my options a little more open, as well as allows me to hit higher activation totals when needed.

Actually, right now, my wife is in the process of painting all 16 of my ugos. I will have my 6 for reinforcements (all the same color to match), then every other one will be a different color. That way, I can tell them apart from my reinforcments, but also color match my ugos to the rest of my squad. For example, if I am using Yoda and Boba, I might throw in the shades of Green Ugos. Or in Black and Blue, well I'll bet you can guess. One white, one black, and one blue :)

Im also going to do the same with some Caamasi Nobles, and JWMs eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:39 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Scrap everything I said about not being worried about door control in 200. Saw the stats for the new Rebel Elite Commando. While it was rare I'd see anybody with Lobot or R2 this sucker will be a real possibility in any tourny.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Yeah you can super stealth that puppy

ImageImage