logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cincinnati, OH - ACME 150 Pts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I tried out my updated 'Evading Jedi' squad last night (see thread in 150 pts Squad Critique area).

We had 12 people show up. And I actually had a tough set of matches for the evening. I had to play 3 of the other guys who came to the GenCon Championships last year, and all 4 of my games were against people that are pretty decent players. I didn't get any 'gimme' games against the younger kids this week, lol.

So, first match, against my buddy Bryan Creehan (DM_Lackey). His squad:

Vader Unleashed
Adm Ozzel
Lando HOT
Evo Trooper x4
Ugo x2
(He rolled a 6 on the 2nd round initiative, and brought in a Felucian STO).

We played on my map (Bespin) and I won side, so I chose the Carbon Chamber side. I used a BBSV for Lobot's Reinforcements this game, though it didn't end up helping me at all. I managed to keep both Quinlan and Shaak Ti in situations where his Evo's either couldn't get a clear LOS on them, or they were further than 6 squares out. Also, the Evo's only have 30 HP made it a piece of cake for Shaak Ti to take them down. With Quinlan's Recon I managed to win all but the last init (rolled a 1 and 2 for that one, lol), and Shaak took down the Evo's one at a time. I also pulled off a nice move past Vader, take the AoO, Riposte the AoO for 30 (he wasn't activated), and then move on to kill an Evo. That was fun. I won this game by points, as time ran out and Lando HOT would've needed 2 crits to kill of Shaak Ti.

Lobo 1-0

2nd game, against Brian Re (StriderRe08) His squad:
JWM x3
Tarfful
Capt Antilles (he thought he'd face more Boba squads this week, so he did nothing in our game....for the most part)
R2 Doombot
Mas
Ugo x3

I lost map and side roll this time, and got stuck on the lousy side of Starship. Didn't matter to me though, as we were both melee heavy squads. I took an MTB and Gonk this time for Lobot's Reinforcements. I started most my squad in the Conference Room, except started Sev, the MTB, and the Gonk in the Airlock area. Gonk'd Sev was awesome this game and I got a couple of nice 60 damage turns off. 1st round, I advance R2, Shaak, and Quinlan straight down the map, heading for his Commanders, which were hiding in the opposite airlock. 2nd Round, I win init, and charge R2 and Shaak straight for Tarfful. This was the key to winning the game. I killed Tarfful at the beginning of Round 3, but not before Tarfful CRIT on Shaak Ti. Of note, Antilles ALSO landed a crit on Shaak Ti later in the game before Sev offed him with a Gonk'd Double/Deadeye. This was one of the toughest games overall, but Shaak's Duelist, Renewal, and MOTF2 proved too much for the JWM. They were all out of FPs by the 4th round, and Shaak Ti cleaned them up from that point. Killing Tarfful really was the key, as that forced the JWMs to need 12s to hit Shaak. They missed quite a few attacks. Highlight of the match though, was my Jawa finding a clear lane across the board to kill off R2 with one attack. Rolled a 14 needing a 13. :D

Lobo 2-0

Tough game #3, against James (buddy that was with my at GenCon). His Squad:

Vader Unleashed
Boba BH
Ozzel
Lobot (Reinforcements were Wicket and 4 Ugos)

I lost Map, but won side choice and made him set up first. So we played on Death Star, and I ended up in the Hangar bay. I brought MTB and Gonk again for Lobot's reinforcements. James plays very cautiously, so this game went a little slower. I advanced R2, Shaak, and Quinlan up through the pit/bridge area. Sev sort of hung back most of the game, and didn't do much except kill one Ugnaught, and be a little bit of bait for Vader and Boba. Boba missed one of a Twin attack on Sev, which helped me win the game. On round 4 I sent R2 and Shaak Ti across to James' starting area, and ran Shaak into the top-right room to take out Ozzel. I wanted to be able to pull off a tow-Double-attack-win init-Double-tow-out later. However, I didn't realize how close to time we were at that point. So, next round was the last. I had moved Quinlan up to R2, and the next round, Shaak finished off Ozzel, and I managed to find a way to sneak Quinlan by Wicket in order to take out Lobot. This left James with the only way to win being a Disintegration from Boba on Quinlan. He didn't get it.

Lobo 3-0

Last round, against Steve (repp...something on the WotC forums) His squad:
Han Scoundrel
Princess Leia
Obi-Wan JS
Aurra Sing
Ackbar
Rebel Vanguard
Ugo x2

I won map and side this time, so I took the Carbon Chamber side of Bespin again. MTB and Gonk for Reinforcements. This was actually one of the easier games of the night. Out-activated, and forced to lose init, I made him go first in the first few rounds, allowing me to have great end-of-round positioning. Towed in Shaak Ti for a hit on Leia at the end of a round. Won init, killed Leia, then ran Shaak back to R2 and flew away. Quinlan took a bit of a beating that round, down to 20 hp, but got lucky enough that Han missed a shot or two, and he survived. Sev and the Gonk did their thing, taking out Ackbar over two turns. Following rounds saw Quinlan bite the dust, quickly followed by Han. I had to off my MTB about this time, but then I still won init the following two rounds, allowing Shaak Ti to take only one hit from Aurra the entire game.

Lobo 4-0

I was quite surprised at how well this squad performed. I'm still not really sure what the meta is post-TFU, and I'm pretty sure I would have a tough time against a well played San Hill squad. But this was definitely fun for the night.

I'm on a mission to play with as many of the new pieces from TFU as I can before LOTF comes out. So...something new to try next week! :D

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, OH - ACME 150 Pts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:00 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
I was quite surprised at how well this squad performed. I'm still not really sure what the meta is post-TFU, and I'm pretty sure I would have a tough time against a well played San Hill squad. But this was definitely fun for the night.

the meta post TFU at 150 seems to be heavily layden with MTB engines combined with cunning squads. Much like what you took. You either play them or find a way to play against them (rogue, ozzel, swarms or San).

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, OH - ACME 150 Pts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:39 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I used a variant of this squad tonight at the LGS with lots of success, it was definitely fun to play a Melee squad again after playing shooters for so long. I used MTB in one game, but not in the others since they were just "friendly" matches and I didn't think MTB would be real fair for a "friendly" match. San could give this some headaches, but assuming you're having any sort of luck with Shaak Ti and rolling/re-rolling evades, I would think Shaak would be a great counter to San squads. The main issue there would be trying to chase Boba, BH down so that you can get some damage on him before he twins you down too far.