logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: A Small shout-out to some great states!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

While investigating whether or not DCI had finally consolidated my two different DCI numbers into one, which they have, I thought I would see where the greatest representation by the top rated 50 players resides, state wise. Due to tie scores, I had to go up to 51. I'll give solo shout-outs to those whom I know. If I don't get you, it's because I don't know who you are.

Coming in with one each are the states of Wisconsin, Michigan (Engineer!), Vermont, and New York!

With two Representatives each, we have Arkansas, Georgia, Massachusettes, Maryland, Kentucky, Colorado and Oklahoma.

Sitting at three top rated DCI players, we have Iowa, New Jersey, and Illinois (Billiv!).

Next on the list we have Ohio (Lobostele!), Texas, and the strange state of Unknown!

With a fabulous five, Nebraska (what up, Sturgis!).

And then, with seven of the top DCI rated players in the country, we have Missouri (dnemiller & Millertime, of course)!

I'm proud to be a part of the SWM Community! To know so many of the top players is an honor! To actually be up there with some of you, even more of an honor! If any of you are part of the top players, and don't mind the shout out, let me know! If I've embarrassed any of you by mentioning your name, I apologize!

Post subject: Re: A Small shout-out to some great states!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have always loved our venues here in Nebraska! :D

I think one thing that helps us is that we have four very healthy venues, all with great players (2 Lincoln and 2 Omaha).

What is also kool is that Gencon was a very good representation of all of the communities.
Can't wait for '08!

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Very cool.

The funny thing is, I think our area of Ohio is the only really active area as far as DCI is concerned. I know soggybottomboy has a decent sized playgroup in Columbus, but they rarely do DCI, if I remember correctly. So, the cool thing is, not only are there 4 people from OH in the top 50, all 4 of them are from Cincinatti. And not only that, all 4 of them are from the store that we play at on Thursday nights. I also believe all 4 of those were at GenCon as well (not sure which Bryan is the 4th person in the top 50, as we have 4 of them at our LGS, lol, and two of those didn't make it to GenCon this year).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:37 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

YAY AZ!!!

Oh wait, nevermind :oops:

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:46 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think Washington did fairly well in GenCon '06, and we're definitely going to have a showing in GenCon '08.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

What was the rating for #51? I'm nowhere near to being the third from my state to make the top, but i want to see how far back I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:11 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Not only that, Illinois had four players in the 20 at Gencon. 3 in the top 10. And the three other than myself are not ranked in the top 50 for DCI.

Matt Peterson is ranked 89. Deri Morgan is 108. And Tim Ballard is 145. And I am 21. All placed in the top 20 at Gencon. I dont remember Deri's exact rank, but our records were a total of 22-6 in the swiss rounds. Tim placed 9 or 10 i think. Matt and I of course made the top 8. Thats our real top 4 :)

I challenge any state to compete with that showing :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Not only that, Illinois had four players in the 20 at Gencon. 3 in the top 10. And the three other than myself are not ranked in the top 50 for DCI.

Matt Peterson is ranked 89. Deri Morgan is 108. And Tim Ballard is 145. And I am 21. All placed in the top 20 at Gencon. I dont remember Deri's exact rank, but our records were a total of 22-6 in the swiss rounds. Tim placed 9 or 10 i think. Matt and I of course made the top 8. Thats our real top 4 :)

Well, I was a total of 23 and 5 for the whole weekend, does that count as coming close? :lol: I'll claim responsbility (kinda like terror cells do, I guess, lol) for Tim Ballard ending up in the 9th or 10th spot. He was my last opponent for the Swiss rounds, so it's my fault he didn't make it in the top 8. Not that I'm terribly sorry about it. :lsfight:

I know James (from Cincy) was close to that as well (I think 21 and 6), and he came in 19th I think. He was top 20 at least.

We had 2 other guys besides myself at 5-2 for the Championships, and one more at 4-3 so that's 20-8 for the Swiss rounds. Pretty close. Plus there were 3 others from our Venue in the Championships. But other than myself, every one of the guys from our store had to play at least one other guy from our same store during the Championship. I was the only person who didn't play someone from our home store. One guy (Brian Berning) had to play 3 other guys from our own store in the Championships, and he lost 2 of those games. He was not happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:24 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

homer_sapien wrote:
What was the rating for #51? I'm nowhere near to being the third from my state to make the top, but i want to see how far back I am.

#50 and 51 are both at 1761.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 am 
General
General

Wow, I hadn't noticed I'm at 1796 now... which puts me in the top 50 globally, but obviously not the US top 50 :p

And apparently the no. 1 SWM player is Canadian. You can all commence blaming Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:28 am 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:

PA can get close... 18 and 6 for the GenCon W/L in the championship. Of course BGartz29 is just dead weight anyway (I know he does not read this site, so I can mock him with impunity) and we only had 3 members there.

My DCI rank is an amazing 433, Dr_Divot... 237 (which is *still* first in PA... yep amazing DCI tourney scene we have here!). BGartz29 is ranked 1360, what a loser! I can't find JR78 but I expect him to be ranked less then me for lack of matches.

Kelly's rank was based solely on GenCon's match:
1682 rating 10 matches 1 events

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:46 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Wedge772 wrote:
Wow, I hadn't noticed I'm at 1796 now... which puts me in the top 50 globally, but obviously not the US top 50 :p

I only just started playing DCI sanctioned games. So far I'm 7-2 for a 1635 score. My minor DCI goal is to get into the top 10 for my state.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:34 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

:cry: Oh sure leave Canada out(21 in NA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:33 am 
General
General

I'm curious: how did you know John Eldis (#3) was from Jersey?

p.s. I guess #10 isn't too bad, huh?

p.p.s
Frost wrote:
:cry: Oh sure leave Canada out(21 in NA)

Yeah! How can you forget the 51st state?!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:16 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

LoboStele wrote:
Very cool.

The funny thing is, I think our area of Ohio is the only really active area as far as DCI is concerned. I know soggybottomboy has a decent sized playgroup in Columbus, but they rarely do DCI, if I remember correctly. So, the cool thing is, not only are there 4 people from OH in the top 50, all 4 of them are from Cincinatti. And not only that, all 4 of them are from the store that we play at on Thursday nights. I also believe all 4 of those were at GenCon as well (not sure which Bryan is the 4th person in the top 50, as we have 4 of them at our LGS, lol, and two of those didn't make it to GenCon this year).

DCI sucks in Columbus. There is only one store in C-bus that has Tournaments every week.
It is Guard Tower and is a stereotypical bad gaming store, it is dark, dirty, smells, is overpriced, if the owner doesn’t know you he is downright rude. The gamers are very clicky, and of the stereotypical gammer mentality that bathing is optional or annual. I’ve called the judge straight out. My opponent claimed that there was “flanking” rules for melee combat, I called the judge over and he said well player X knows the rules so I’m pretty sure he is right.” … Really you’re the judge here???
The rest of the stores I have visited the owners are not overly interested in pushing the DCI format. Soggybottomboy and that group just do DCI enough to get the league kit sent. Only a couple in that group get competitive and they usually win cause the rest (including myself) just show up for the promo.
If there was a way in Columbus to play DCI while keeping it family friendly and hygienic; I’d be all for it. But sadly I have yet to find that. Except for Soggy’s Hobby Town, but that I think is a conscience effort to not play in a competitive environment. (Everyone gets a promo, minimal prize support.)

I have enough pieces to play; I am content.

Good Trades with: soggybottomboy2469, allgoodgecko, adliv666
Bad: randy_khoo