logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 100-point tournament in Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I ran a 100-point tournament at my FLGS last night, mostly just to keep up my T.O. status. The winner was a shock.

We had five players and three rounds, which totally threw the DCI Reporter program for a loop.

+++++

Teams were:

10-year-old = Shaak Ti - JM, Golan Arms Battery, Rebel Troopers, & 2-1B

Teen #1 = Snowspeeder, Luke’s Snowspeeder, Wedge - Red Two, & Uggie

Teen #2 = Master Kota & Obi-Wan - JM

Adult = Blizzard Scout & AT-ST

Mr. Xffan = Aurra - JM, Fett - Enforcer, Lando - DS & Uggie

+++++

First Round:

Bye = Teen #2

Table 1 = 10-year-old faced the Adult. Amazingly, the 10-year-old had the foresight to map-screw the AT-ST player by playing the Mos Eisley map. (The Adult has been playing AT-STs the last four sessions.) The Battery was set up in Gambit, but that was the only thing the AT-STs could target, so it was blown away quickly. The 10-year-old then turtled, gaining Gambit points for 10 rounds while hiding inside the building. Winner: 10-year-old.

Table 2 = Teen #1 faced Mr. Xffan on the Grand Plaza map. The mobility and damage reduction of the two Snowspeeders overcame Aurra and Fett easily. Gambit drives Mr. Xffan crazy, as he tends to give it more attention than he should, putting his figs in harm’s way to gain Gambit instead of making direct attacks and/or hiding. And he much prefers Fett - BH over Fett - Enf., so he didn’t play the squad very effectively. Winner: Teen #1

Second Round:

Bye = Adult

Table 1 = Teen #1 vs. 10-year-old, again on the Mos Eisley map. These two are brothers. Teen #1 claimed to have “gone easy on him.” It wasn’t a good idea, because the 10-year-old managed to get a couple criticals with the Battery and somehow hack away on the Snowspeeders with Shaak. Winner: 10-year-old.

Table 2 = Mr. Xffan vs. Teen #2, again on the Grand Plaza map. Mr. X out-activated Teen #2, used Jedi Hunter and stayed away from the melee figs by shooting from across the board. Teen #2 didn’t last very long. Winner: Mr. Xffan.

Third Round:

Bye = Mr. Xffan

Table 1 = 10-year-old vs. Teen #2. Once again, the 10-year-old won map choice and got Mos Eisley again. Teen #2 stored up Kota’s Force and Repulsed, but Shaak and the Battery put on too much damage. Winner: 10-year-old.

Table 2 = Teen #1 vs. Adult. Grand Plaza map again. Teen #1 thought he had also map-screwed the Adult and he hid his speeders in a room. The Adult did have one AT-ST stuck in a corner, but the Blizzard Scout could reach a door and keep it open. He got several lucky criticals, taking out the Snowspeeders. Winner: Adult.

Results:

1st = 10-year-old
2nd = Adult
3rd = Mr. Xffan
4th = Teen #1
5th = Teen #2

Like I said, the DCI Reporter was pretty flaky with its results because of the odd number of players and odd number of rounds. But, everybody had a good time. I bought a booster to split among all winners. 10-year-old got Fett - Merc from it.

Post subject: Re: 100-point tournament in Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:48 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I played the same squad as you a while back. I came in second with it, losing my last game due to some really bad luck. End of the game I had my Aurra and Lando left vs Boba BH and an Ug. I made a choice I'm sure anyone would make. Move Lando past the ug, taking an AoO, to get adjacant to Boba so I could hit him for 30 with no Evade roll. First the Ug critted the AoO dropping Lando to 30 which meant Boba's 40 to start the next round killed him rather than dropping him to 10 and giving him another cunning shot while adjacent. Then on that one cunning shot Lando did get I rolled a 1 for the attack. Aurra was able to Blaster Barrage the Ug and Boba at which point we were down my Aurra at 90hp vs Boba at 40. Next attack Boba got the 20 to end it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:46 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I actually haven't tried playing the Aurra/Fett/Lando squad yet. I have played against it a few times vs. Mr. X, though. It seems strong, but that 10-from-a-distance out of Aurra sure messes with our brains! (Being so used to having Aurra do 20 or 30...) I do want to give the squad a try against some Force-heavy/Unique-heavy squads.

While the tournament wasn't much to "write home about," it did have a few interesting moments.

Like I said, I was utterly shocked that the 10-year-old thought in advance about map-screwing somebody. He's never done anything like that before. This is the same kid that can't remember to combine fire with his gaggle of Stormtroopers, so his forethought was impressive.

I was equally shocked that the Adult brought only two Rigid figs. One is a major gamble, but the entire squad... Well, he certainly paid for the choice.

I've been impressed every week at how Luke's Landspeeder performs with Teen #1. He took full advantage of the Mobile.

I guess what I like best about this whole tournament is that it showed people either have learned or are still learning about this game, and it's making them much better players. I love some good competition. So, I'm thrilled that they...the kids, especially...are improving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

The 10 per shot from Aurra isn't too bad since its twinned you still have the potential for 20 on each target. Of course when she's used for what she's designed for (jedi hunting) she gets really nasty. 40 damage from range or 60 up close is hard to ignore.

Last time I played (150) we had somebody show up with 2 AT-ST. He had bad placement for one of them in one game and got totally screwed in another. I'll be playing BS1 with an AT-ST this Friday, but its 200 so I know I'll be ok for map. Below 200 points and I wouldn't even think about using a rigid huge.

Unfortunetely, I only get to play every other week so I usually have a pretty big back log of pieces I want to try out. The Landspeeder is one of them. Between A&E and FU I never got around to testing it out and in the few times I've played since FU came out I've been trying stuff like Boba Merc, Obi Unleahed, and Loda. Next time I play after my 200 point game this week I'll be playing 100 (I'll be trying out Vader Unleashed) so my next chance to even think about the speeder is my next 150 point game in 4 weeks.

Me and a couple of the older players have recently noticed one of the younger players where we play has been getting better. He still has a tendency to sometimes play a multiple beatstick squad like Bane + Boba, BH + 6 point filler, but when he plays a more thought out squad his skill with them has gotten better.