logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 DCI in Abington, MA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:29 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Happened a few weeks ago, but feel like posting now. Had a rather small turnout due to a pretty bad nor'easter (or nor'eastah as us locals call it). I played a modified B&B using Jedi Hunter with the Felucian ST Commander and some extra activations with Raxus Prime troopers. Also had Lando, DS in there for a decent shooter. 15 activations, few opponenents, I didn't think I'd have a problem today.

1st Matchup was against a very good player who had a high-activation rebel squad with Obi Unleashed, Luke Pilot Unleashed, Han Scoundrel, and Lando DS. Also had some super stealthed commandos thrown in there for good measure. We played on the Invisible Hand, eventually meeting near the middle room. A possible counting error led to the death of his Lando early, and soon a well-timed ugnaught swap blew open a door and allowed a Raxus Prime trooper to wall-climb up to Luke. Once his Luke went down, I felt fine about targeting his Obi-Wan. Time ran out with my opponent with just Han all by himself. All in all it wasn't really close, but his commandos (which I didn't consider a threat before the game) hit on pretty much every grenade toss at my STs, negating the great defense provided by my Felucian. Still, I started with 15 activations, and it was more than enough to win.

2nd opponent was a little kid with only 4 activations: Exar, Reek, Jango, and a Jawa Trader (don't judge, every one of you has a little kid just like this at your local venue :-) ) I don't really need to describe this match any more than this: he advanced with both Exar and the Reek, Vader swapped, he inspected Thrawn's card for two minutes, then hung his head. I won (and yes, I did explain to him BEFORE we started exactly what I was going to do, but obviously he had never seen it before). Still, his pesky Jango did manage to missile a few STs, much to my annoyance.

3rd opponent was another pretty good player, but he started the game expecting to lose. If there is one thing I've learned from gaming is that if you enter a game expecting to lose, you will. I told him as such, but that did little to boost his confidence, as he really wasn't equipped to deal with my squad (he had almost no shooters). He had a similar squad to the first opponent, with Obi Unleashed, Luke Unleashed, and the Apprentice Redeemed as his big weapons. I thought it was a cool squad that could hit for a ton of damage if played right. Well, he didn't expect to win, and he didn't play like he could win, advancing his force pushers WAY too close on my rancor map. Within a few turns, both Luke and Apprentice were dead, only taking a few swap fodders with them. Game over. Tournament won.

I've had success at my local store in the past playing this squad since FU came out, but a lot of the diverse squads that were a tough match up for it weren't there that day due to the storm. Therefore, I could afford to play a little more reckless without any disruptive or opposing initiative control to worry about. Pretty much just played opponents who were very good matchups for me, while I wasn't for them. Still a win is a win, and that was a nice one to have going into the holidays.

Post subject: Re: 200 DCI in Abington, MA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:07 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

In the 150 point tourny I played in Friday night I faced a squad of a Wookiee-Hunter AT-ST, an AT-ST, and I think 3 AT-At Drivers and a Stormtrooper. My Loda and Obi-U just crushed them. His second game he managed to get both AT-St locked in a room and third game he lost map role and side and started on the bad side of Bespin. Not a good night for Rigid huges.