logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 DCI Cincinnati, OH - ACME
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We had a 200 point tournament at ACME last night. I don't remember all the squads, but I'll give you the night's events from my perspective.

My squad:

Thrawn
Piett
Ozzel
Lando HOT
Mas Ameda
General Veers, Hologram
Evo Trooper x3
Dark Trooper (only because I only have 3 Evos)
Raxus Prime Trooper x5
Ugo x2

200 even, 17 activations. Map of choice was Ruined Base (in case you've missed my other posts where I've said it, we are allowing Ruined Base and Yavin Temple at our venue for 200 point games now, because stupid DCI is taking so long to update things, and we wanted some more map variety).

First matchup for the night against Steve (goes by repp-something on the WotC forums). He had a modified Han Cannon squad:

Han Scoundrel
Princess Leia
Boba BH
Ackbar
Golan Turret
R2
Juno
Ugo x3

I started on the left, Steve on the right. He set up is Golan next to the turbolifts, with one row of squares sticking out into the hallway. The rest of his squad started in the top left corner. I started all my commanders in the top right, and the rest of my squad closer to the middle.

First round nothing really happened, he played cautiously, locking the hallway door next to the Golan so I couldn't shoot in the first round, and then just positioned everyone else nearby. I moved my whole squad except for Mas and the Troopers up inside the main room. 2nd round was mostly more position on his part, as only my commanders had activated by the time he was all activated. He used Juno to open one of the doors at the top of the map, and then placed 2 Ugos and Leia nearby. I moved Thrawn and swapped a Raxus into position, after it had received Fire Support Mission from Veers. Hit all 4 of those pieces. Ugos automatically die, and he failed the save on Leia (might've failed Juno's too, but I can't remember, but she died that round from something). Since I had placed Thrawn such that the Trooper would still be in the bubble: no re-roll. Boba took 40 that round from a Evo as well. Next round, Boba flew in and took 2 shots at Thrawn, rolling a 1 for one of them. Han couldn't do much, so he killed a Raxus Prime Trooper. 3 Evo Troopers quickly Wasted Fett, only needing 3s to kill him. From there it was a game of cleanup.

2nd match, against Matt. This one was tougher. I lost map AND side, and got stuck on the unfriendly side of Starship. His squad:

Thrawn
Boba Merc
Jango BH
Storm Commando
Mas
Grand Moff Tarkin
Raxus Trooper x2
Ugo

Biggest thing I was worried about was Missles 20, but he only got it off once, and I only failed 1 out of 4 saves, leaving an Evo Trooper with 10 HP (incidentally, it survived till the end of the game, lol). I lost several initiatives which cost me a Trooper or two. This was my toughest game, and I lost 4 out 5 Raxus Prime Troopers, my Dark Trooper, and an Evo Trooper before the game ended. The key mistake he made was to move Thrawn to a position to try and kill the Trooper that I had near Veers, but he missed the shot. This allowed me to swap in an Evo Trooper for a 40 damage hit on Thrawn, and then another of my Evo Troopers managed to draw a completely clear LOS on Thrawn as well. Dead Thrawn. That happened either close to win time was called, or right after it. If played as "kill 'em all" though, I probably would've lost that one.

Round 3, vs. Brandon. Poor Brandon. I won map and he won side, but he let me have the right side of Ruined Base (which I'd prefer anyways). His squad:

Luke & Yoda
Han RH
Chewie RH
Princess Leia
K-3PO
Obi JS
Vanguard
Caamasi Noble

He started in the bottom left, I set up the same as the first game. First round was just positioning. But I got gambit and he didn't. Second round, more positioning on his part, but I had Thrawn, Veers, and ALL my Troopers to still activate after he went. Veers gave his CE to a Trooper. Then I moved a trooper up to the main hallway door, opening it. Thrawn moved out into the middle of the hallway, and swapped the special Trooper into position. I hit Han, Leia, K-3PO, and the Caamasi with Fire Mission Support, as they were huddled near the 3 square door to the left of the Security Station. Caamasi obviously died, Han took the 60 (no re-roll because of Thrawn), and Leia and K-3PO made their saves, taking 10. I finished the round by moving a few troopers and taking shots at either Luke or Chewie who were hiding in the Security Station. The next round, I went first and the Trooper that had used FSM moved to kill his Vanguard (yay! no more anti-swarm threat, lol). He moved up Chewie for an attack and missed. He killed off a couple Troopers, but by that point the game was over. I killed everything but Luke & Yoda in that round, and L&Y only had about 30-50 HP left at that point.

Final game against James (other friend who ran San Hill at Gencon, and finished in 19th, I think). I lost map and side (again!) so we played on Throne Room. His squad:

Master Kota
Boba BH
CS Aurra
Lobot (Lando DS for reinforcements)
R2-Astromech
Mas

He took the right side, set up at the bottom, I had left and set up my commanders in the bottom hallway, and then all my Troopers, Veers, and the Ugos in the bottom left corner of the Vehicle Lift room. First round was just me tapping, and him positioning figures, he towed Boba up and opened the middle door on his side, in order to let Boba move through to the gambit area. He also put Aurra on the single green square in the Throne Room area. This was the fatal mistake of the game. After he had finished activating everything, I had only done Piett, Mas, Lando, and Ozzel. So, I moved up an Ugo and Thrawn-swapped the other Ugo up to blow the middle door. This gave me lots of lanes of fire on Aurra. I placed Thrawn so he would be out of LOS, but providing Force Immunity to anything left in the open. I then shot at her with everything I had. Put 100 damage on her in round 1 (one Raxus hit, 2 Evo Hits). That scared him GOOD. From there he played WAY too defensively, leaving Boba out in the middle room by himself for the next two rounds (he hid everyone else around the corner in the turbolifts). I took Fett down 100 HP in the next round, assisted by a Crit from one of my Evo Troopers (60 damage!) which he failed the Evade save for. Went first on the next round and with some Combined Fire, killed Fett. From there, all my Troopers except 2 were under Thrawn's Bubble, and he didn't he couldn't bring out either Aurra or Lando to attack me, because I'd blow them away. I think if he'd played more cautiously the first couple rounds, and then played agressively enough (i.e. going after Thrawn) in Rounds 3 and 4, he would've had a good chance of winning this one.

So I went 4-0, taking 1st place for the evening. No one at my LGS was prepared to deal with the massive damage output from the Evo Troopers, and nobody really knew what to do when I used Thrawn offensively. Even the game against the Thrawn/Boba Merc/Jango BH wasn't a terribly hard game, he was just rolling great, and I had some less than stellar rolls.

Worked out great, because of the packs we opened for prize support, I got first pick and got an extra Luke & Yoda. :D

Post subject: Re: 200 DCI Cincinnati, OH - ACME
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:46 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

was this the tournament moses went to? I know he competed against you guys recently.

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: 200 DCI Cincinnati, OH - ACME
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nah, this was back in December. Moses was here on February 14th. I actually wasn't there, so I didn't have a report to give from that night. :P