logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: So what should you build to beat at each point level?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

How? How does the Thrawn player shoot everybody if they are either behind the pink wall lines in the corner of the map, or inside the closed doors of the Control Room??

The Thrawn player MUST have Override in that situation. If the squad is what Luke posted earlier (with 3 Uggernauts), the only way to fit Lobot into the squad is if you plan on bringing in Jabba as part of the reinforcements. And if you do bring Lobot, you can guarantee that you're going to lose him the first time you open those doors to try to get shots through. Then you've lost 27 points, maybe killed some of the San player's fodder, but you now have no more door control, other than holding the doors open with your own figures, which will allow the San player to quite easily pick away at them.

And still, if your opponent brings Thrawn and Uggernauts, then with a San squad, you could use your own Lobot to bring in Lando DS. If the Thrawn player is ballsy enough to rush all the way across the map on the first round, he's going to very likely lose an Uggernaut in that first round, as Lando has a decent chance to survive the twin attack, and then can put 30 on the Uggernaut in return.

Like I said, I agree, it's certainly a tough matchup for a San squad, but then again, I've never been convinced that San Hill is nearly as viable at 200 points as it is at 150 anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:07 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Just to clarify here was what was fielded on his end

Thrawn 37
Mas 8
Uggernaugt x3 108 / total = 153
Lobot 27 / total= 170
General Veers / total= 191
Ugnaught / total= 194
Jawa / total = 199

Reinforcements Jabba Crime lord + Jawa number 2

I set up with scrubby activations ready to hide behind the pink wall and quality activations in the control room.

Round 1 He wins initiative
Overides my door as open with his lobot. moves an uggernaugt 12 squares and manages to fire on about 1/2 of my ugnaugts, Can not see my san hill, Hits my Lobot (this was probably poor placement because I assumed that he would be safe in the original starting area on the map down in that corner 3 squares from the side, and in the row bordering the (airlock?). He managed to do 60 to Boba fett, and Aurra. only 30 to my Lando DS because of a good lucky evade roll. Obviously the best move in this situation is to shoot lobot, but I didnt think of that so I activated Boba BH hoping for the Big D on the Uggernaugt (didnt get it, but did land a total of 20 damage on him. Thrawn swaps ugnaughts next and now Aurra has taken 90 damage, Lando is defeated and boba fett has made both his evade rolls and the Boba Aurra and San are the ONLY 3 pieces that I have left on the field. I honestly dont remember what else was in my squad. The fact is that it was inconsequential because it was all dead at the end of round 1. Boba Fett actually did make some evade rolls and it was early in round 3 before he was actually defeated.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:06 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
The fact is that it was inconsequential because it was all dead at the end of round 1. Boba Fett actually did make some evade rolls and it was early in round 3 before he was actually defeated.

Ouch.

I have to say that on the hardboard against teh Uggernaught swarm on the bad side is a terrible place to be.

I ran a squad of accurate/cunning uggernaghts from the bad side of the starship and it was very lopsided being on the bad side you might aswell conceed unless you can kill one before he gets the onslaught off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:18 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Thought about that a lot and with the 200 coming up at my LGS I have built a squad with the ability to do just that on phase 1, and in phase 2 most likely protect my assets from further immediate danger. If all goes well I will share the results and reclaim my dignity.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:56 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

@Shinja,
You do not have to plan to beat any squads (outside of local meta) currently in this game at any point level. There isn't even a real GateKeeper anymore IMO. Right now, you have Tier 1 squads and a lot of other squads that have joined the Tier 2 level that can compete against Tier 1 as long as they have the right map, side, gambit access, player strength, etc.

It comes down to the game, not the squad right now.

@Flea,
The Jango and 2 RaunTauns is in his list because he created it, no other reason.