logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: FrostyCon 2013: (2/22-2/24)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WacoBlaze wrote:
Your 500 is like my 500 from GenCon last year, tweaked up (like your two X-1's instead of 1). It has a pile of firepower and the lancer can deal with Bastila if you face her. Glad it won. Oh yeah, I used Proxy to copy Maul's stats and Whorm for twins. Haha, guess they aren't really all that similar after all. Like what you did with it.

They are similar, but I had no idea until someone pointed it out to me at the event. I was so exhausted and out of it by Sunday at GenCon I didn't even really know what people ran in the Epic.

3 lancers with board wide twin and +4/+4 is so sick. And the amazing thing is that they are essentially disposable. Don't get me wrong - they are key, but they can do their thing and die. I am so used to playing single lancer where you're pretty much done when it dies, that it's weird sending them out on suicide runs.

The Vipers did the heavy lifting. Double twin at +16 for 40 (with the BD sergeant) is insane. Following up with a twinning IG-86 shooting twin at +21 for 40 is icing on the cake. Then the T-series is the knockout punch to do (usually) another 80 damage after init. I hardly used Maul all day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:58 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

So my squad was based off an idea that TinT had at Gencon and since he and I both love running Mace I figured this would be a good tourney to try it out (well that and I didn't have much a chance to try competitive squads before the event).

My first swiss round was against Pastorbudwine and his Mando squad on Asteroid base. I controlled gambit while he took mostly ineffectual shots at my pieces. When he placed his 2 scouts close to each other so Mace could base them I ran him in and he took both out with a crit. Unfortunately the ensuing deathshots and then a well-timed crit from Mandalore Vin wrecked Mace. I then got 2 good pushes off with GOWK (along with some shots from HK) to reduce his squad to just Mandalore. So HK stayed in gambit behind GOWK and took shots at Mandalore until he finally went down.

The 2nd round was against Luke Cook and it was an excruciating game. He won map so I facing down 12 Klat Assassins on Grand Plaza with Bastila turning off GOWK's ce and boosting said assassins. I stupidly chose to test out the Baran Do Sage in that match to see if he could work to replace the shieldbearer I didn't have in my squad. He didn't work. I lost every piece in that game except Mace and GOWK who had 10 and 20 hp left at the end of the game respectively. But....all the assassins were dead and won 142 to 137.

3rd round vs. Nader and his Deathshot Naboo. We played on Asteroid Base. I learned from our 2012 Gencon Champ and let HK do the heavy lifting while having him hide behind GOWK. HK was able to kill enough pilots while keeping them at bay with disruptive that I won the game 58 to 52 I believe (it may have been 58 to 54, I know it was close). I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Nader rolled a 20 for init right out of the gate, cause yeah, it wasn't going to be enough of an uphill battle.

Final swiss round vs. Timmer. We knew we would both be in the finals so we played a little fast and loose. I put GOWK and Mace in aggressive positions and he ran in Dass to try and put the hurt on Mace. He missed twice, Mace reflected once, and then ate 30 damage. Timmer then failed his Dispassionate Killer save so bye bye Dass. Mace then did his thing, along with GOWK and HK, good ol' Dr. E. that I brought in with reinforcements killed 3 pieces with homicidal surgery.

Semi-final vs. captaingig and his Klat Assassins with bugs
I knew this was going to be a low scoring match if I wanted much of a chance to win. We played on Asteroid Base and I made a bottle neck with mouse droids with HK behind to prevent advancement. I hid Lobot and only used Mace to kill an Uggie and one Klat. About halfway through the game I placed GOWK in gambit where he stayed and never attacked. Gig wasn't able to kill any of my pieces that were worth points, even with bringing in a Jawa Scavenger, and I ended up winning 29 to 10.

Final vs. Timmer again.
I won map and we played on Asteroid Base. He took the side I had been using so I set up bottom left and charged in. He took a chance on killing R2, only needing a 5 with combined fire, and he rolled a 4. He then won init and rolled a 3 to try to kill R2. So Mace was towed in like a freight train and began to pick off his guys. Tim got some damage on Mace but he left Lobot vulnerable to a push from GOWK and I took out his commanders one at a time and once I scored over 80 points I pulled Mace back a bit and played more defensively since Tim at that point would have to at least defeat Mace or Gowk to win along with the rest of my squad to win (GOWK and Mace add up to 120 points together). He wasn't able to do so and eventually I took out Dass (who at this point was pretty well nerfed since he had no CE support) and won the game, along with Frosty Con and a sweet (& appropriate) Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber.

I want to thank Gerry for once again hosting Frosty Con and for letting us all crash at his place. It's always a blast to get together with people and play some minis and I hope to see you all in June for the regional.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ahem. Perhaps someone had access to the spoilers and would care to share them with us? That would be smashing chaps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/2/15/ma ... n-liv.html