logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: FrostyCon 2013: Official Announcement
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls. Allow me to direct your attention to WNY in February for the second annual SWM event known simply as FrostyCon!!!

When: February 22nd-24th
Where: Buffalo and Rochester, NY

The Events....

Feb 22nd: The Return of the Friday Night Follies @ Chez Nader, 8pm-???

King of the Ring (using a variant of the NZ Battle Royale rulz)
200 pts constructed, faction rules apply for your best four character team.

Feb 23rd: The Main Event @ Pair-A-Dice in Rochester, NY, 11am-7pm

200 point constructed
All v-sets through S&V are valid except for the BHC.

Feb 24th: Epic 500 Challenge, location TBD, 12pm-5pm

500 point constructed (squad must contain at least one Epic character)
All v-sets through S&V are valid, including BHC.
Gambit can only be gained by the Epic piece and will be worth 75pts.

Once again my home will be open to those wayward travelers willing to brave the frigid WNY conditions in February. Please contact me via PM, as space goes quick.

Hope to see many of the familiar supporting cast back in 2013! as well as hopefully some new folks!

More to follow, Nader

Last edited by DarphNader on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: FrostyCon 2013: Official Announcement
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Awesome!

As of now it's in the plans.

Hey - suggestion: Have a jedi challenge style overall winner for the weekend. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Not a bad suggestion, we'll need to see how many show over the course of three days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Gambit may still be a little high, maybe just do 50 points, and any 50 point or over piece can score it. Just a suggestion, I think we learned that 100 gets to be too much :D , but 75 may work can work if only epics can score it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:39 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Oh and I would like to opine on a CE limit for 500; I don't think we need one. Restricting the number of CEs that a faction can utilize just strengthens the OR, who are already absurdly strong, and it completely nerfs the Mandos.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, I've said it before: the OR really doesn't need a lot of CEs to be strong in 500, but the other factions do. Vong and Mandos especially.

I'm also thinking that 75pt Gambit might be a bit much, since Tim's squad (Exar, Bane, Krayt) would still be able to win fairly easily just by holding gambit. After 5 rounds he'd have 375pts, which means that those huge damage-dealers would just have to kill a couple of pieces (not hard to do, especially with the Swoop Bike's range and Exar's TE-triple-attack) to win. If Josh hadn't used Kavar to Sever Force in their game, Tim would've won the whole tournament without a problem. The purpose of big-epic gambit is to encourage epic-on-epic combat in the middle...not to give one squad-type an almost auto-win situation.

Therefore, IMHO 50pt gambit, gainable only by epics, might be the way to go instead. With that in place though, you might also have to also decide that if you win with 400+ (or maybe 350+) pts you get the full 3pt win.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I concur with what Trevor said. At 50 points for gambit you'd need 10 rounds of gambit to win on points which isn't likely to happen, as opposed to just 5 rounds for 100 pts or 7 for 75 pts, which is more likely. So 50 may be the magic number to entice people to engage and earn points, without just easily winning on points.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, I've said it before: the OR really doesn't need a lot of CEs to be strong in 500, but the other factions do. Vong and Mandos especially.

I'm also thinking that 75pt Gambit might be a bit much, since Tim's squad (Exar, Bane, Krayt) would still be able to win fairly easily just by holding gambit. After 5 rounds he'd have 375pts, which means that those huge damage-dealers would just have to kill a couple of pieces (not hard to do, especially with the Swoop Bike's range and Exar's TE-triple-attack) to win. If Josh hadn't used Kavar to Sever Force in their game, Tim would've won the whole tournament without a problem. The purpose of big-epic gambit is to encourage epic-on-epic combat in the middle...not to give one squad-type an almost auto-win situation.

Therefore, IMHO 50pt gambit, gainable only by epics, might be the way to go instead. With that in place though, you might also have to also decide that if you win with 400+ (or maybe 350+) pts you get the full 3pt win.

Funny you bring up my squad. I was analyzing it, and I think 75pts is the "breaking" point. I actually wouldn't run it needing 7 rounds of gambit, I certainly wouldn't run it needing 10 rounds.

But that aside (I don't really care 50 vs 75), but what really breaks this format is Bastila. OR is so good without commander effects, and they nerf everyone else's.

As much as I hate banning, in 500 Bastila is just too good. The field is VASTLY more open without her.

OR just dominates due to her. They still compete without her.

My 2 cents is ban her. Then you'll see a wide variety.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
As much as I hate banning, in 500 Bastila is just too good. The field is VASTLY more open without her.

That is alsosomething that I've said before! :lol:

I seriously think that banning Bastilla is the best move that can be made to improve the 500pt Epic Skirmish format. She wasn't designed (or playtested) for it, and quite frankly, she limits its enjoyment factor...and this is coming from a guy who just won a tournament with her!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

That is alsosomething that I've said before! :lol:

I seriously think that banning Bastilla is the best move that can be made to improve the 500pt Epic Skirmish format. She wasn't designed (or playtested) for it, and quite frankly, she limits its enjoyment factor...and this is coming from a guy who just won a tournament with her!

Yeah, I won a 500pt tournament her shortly after Epics came out. I was determined at BuffaCon to NOT play her, and the 100pt gambit gave me a shot.

It also helps that OR has 2 of the best epics. They are crazy good. But Bastila is just too good at 500.

If she's not banned I predict over 1/2 the field playing her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

You know I was prepared to disagree with you guys, but then the more I thought about it the more I realized I do agree with you. I think that when Bastila could just be paired with Hoth the new sets gave counters to the Furious Assault squad (ie using Energy Shield pieces), but now that she can be paired with Revan and ABM can constantly go she may be too powerful. Yeah the Vong could still cause headaches for the OR (more so the Revan builds, not so much for the Hoth ones), but otherwise what really has any chance against either OR squad with Bastila?

Of course the counter argument is that without her it's pretty pointless to even choose the OR so that could upset people that want to use the OR. Still, it's probably better overall to have her removed from the 500 format, unless someone can think of a way to alter her fairly.

I'll say this much, if Nader bans her for the tournament I'll gladly choose another faction to run, but if we can use her it's OR all the way for me just because I like the characters a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Now this is just my initial thinking, (and I don't play the 500 epic a lot). If there is a CE limit (3) and then you just need to say that Bastilla counts as a commander. The thing that nerfs the Mandos in this particular set up is not the CE limit but the epics themselves. Boba doesn't want to go up to gambit and fight another epic in close quarters. He's not designed to, he's designed as a gun and a good one at that. The set up of trying to force some epic confrontation (which I agree with) mixed with the way some epics are designed is what nerfs some factions.
Epic Mara will never be played as she can't compete with other epics once the fighting starts, Boba will want to sit back and shoot.

If we ban Bastilla and put no CE limit then I think that Imps will be the top faction. I don't really know if there is a way to balance the 500 epic format, given I havnt put forth a lot of thought considering I don't play the format often.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Gentlemen, I have reviewed the currently stream of conscienceness and have a few thoughts to add in to this recipe. Banning pieces is not going to happen as then the matter/antimatter inter-mix formula becomes unbalanced.

However and most of you involved in this thread are aware of my overt disdain for the OR harpy but she is what makes the OR go in all formats despite having yet another ridiculous addition at their disposal (editorial comment). The simple remedy is to enact what should have been printed on the card for ABM in the first place, "for the remainder of the turn."

This way we'll have a balanced equation with a no limit on CE's and gambit shall be 75 points, obtainable only by an Epic character.

Last edited by DarphNader on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DarphNader wrote:
Gentlemen, I have reviewed the currently stream of conscienceness and have a few thoughts to add in to this recipe. Banning pieces is not going to happen as then the matter/antimatter inter-mix formula becomes unbalanced.

However and most of you involved in this thread are aware of my overt disdain for the OR harpy but she is what makes the OR go in all formats despite having yet another ridiculous addition at their disposal (editorial comment). The simple remedy is to enact what should have been printed on the card for ABM in the first place, "for the remainder of the turn."

This way we'll have a balance equation with a no limit on CE's and gambit shall be 75 points, obtainable only by an Epic character.

I think you mean "remainder of the ROUND".

And I am cool with this. OR is still rock solid, but at least you don't pop ABM once for nearly 2 full rounds of use.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, I think that's a good solution, Gerry. ABM works only for the round in which it's used...elegant, simple, and probably enough to enable other squad types to do well.

And as for the matchups with un-altered ABM: Hoth squads destroy Vong squads but struggle vs Energy Shield (though my Hoth squad had a solution with Zam, who is HUGE in that matchup), while Revan squads will destroy the Energy Shield squads but struggle vs Vong squads.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Do to unforeseen/unexpected work travel, FrostyCon is being pushed back a week to the weekend of (2/22-2/24). I will be providing a full breakdown of event rules and prize support in the coming days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DarphNader wrote:
Do to unforeseen/unexpected work travel, FrostyCon is being pushed back a week to the weekend of (2/22-2/24). I will be providing a full breakdown of event rules and prize support in the coming days.

Totally fine with me, but I do wonder how it will effect 9-5ers not having off that Monday.

Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:57 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

TimmerB123 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:

Totally fine with me, but I do wonder how it will effect 9-5ers not having off that Monday.

Looking forward to it!

True enough but it didn't seem to effect BuffaCon'ers and the delay may just afford those who couldn't make Pres Day weekend the chance to attend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DarphNader wrote:

Really curious about this. Where might I find the NZ Battle Royale rulz?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:54 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

TimmerB123 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:

Really curious about this. Where might I find the NZ Battle Royale rulz?

http://save11.fusion.net.nz/download.ph ... sode01.pdf

Page 22...