logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tile Wars tourney at ACME games
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, we tried out Tile Wars at our LGS last night. I've played it a couple times before at the other LGS, but this one was at our more competitive venue. We had 10 players total.

After the couple games I'd played before (and done semi-OK in) and then after last night's games, I either do not understand how to build squads for tile wars, or I just need a lot of practice with using the newer pieces.

Here was my squad:

Vader's Apprentice Redeemded
Obi Unleashed
Yoda of Dagobah
Luke Hoth Pilot
Han Rogue
Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun.

It was certainly a fun squad to play, and all the new Force powers are a blast. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. First round, I was up against someone running a squad that hadn't even crossed my mind. He ended up coming in 3rd or 4th for the night I think. His squad was:

Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator
Kazdan Paratus
Boba Fett Enforcer
R2-D2 Astromech
Garindan
Ugo

I was excited that Han Rogue would work in my favor right from the start. Of course, my opponent goes and rolls a 20 for his first Initiative anyways. Grr. Brings in a BG Droid and a BDO. Then, with Han Rogue and my Tauntaun still on the board, he rolls a 15 for his next init, brining in a SBD and a DT Ph 2. Was crazy. Luckily I got to go first in that round. It ended up being a very close game, and he killed off Obi-wan in his last activation for the win (I had killed 40 points of his Droid reinforcements, along with Shaak, Vos, and Garindan). In the end, I think it mostly came down to me not really knowing how to properly set up the Apprentice's Force Push 5 for maximum benefit. Probably would've been helpful to have K-3PO in this game.

My 2nd game was against someone running a little older squad. It was:

Boba BH
Jango BH
Zam Wessel
Nom Anor
Ugo (ooglithed)

This was a very easy game, especially since I managed to nail Boba with Force Stun in the first round. Nom dropped pretty quickly to Obi-Wan and Han (got a no-cover shot lined up with Cunning and Spotter 20). Managed to use Luke's FP4 to move Boba and Jango next to each other, and then hit them both with the Apprentice's FP5 in the next round. As much as I felt like I didn't understand the new Force Powers well enough in the first game, my opponent in this game had a similar problem. Was a quick game.

My third game was against someone running a modified Ithorian Swarm. And now that I think about it.....he was WAY over the 200 point build total, lol. I think his squad was:

Master Kota
Obi-Wan Unleashed
Ayy Vida
Ithorian Commander
Human Force Adept x3
Wookiee FF x2
Chadra-Fan x2
Aqualish Assassin x2

Now that I realize how far over 200 he was (he was closer to 250 I think) it makes sense why i had such a tough time with it. Didn't even think to double check his math, lol. I had a splitting headache most of the night too, but I can't believe nobody else caught it either. Oh well. Anyways...I played kind of dumb because I left Yoda up front to try to ward off the Force Repulse instead of keeping my Obi-Wan farther out front. He forced me to kill his Obi-Wan, but I managed to use my own Force Pushes to keep Kota at bay until the end of the game. Last two rounds of the game, he uses Ayy Vida to make the final blow against Yoda, who still landed the attack even after Alter (needed anything but a 1 anyways, lol). He then hits my Han piece for the first time in the game, knocking him down to 50 HP. I used Force Push to move Kota away, and then used the rest of my pieces to shoot up his remaining figures. He moves Kota up to prep for the big Repulse...and.....even with Recon, I lose Initiative, lol. Repulse 5 kills every one of my pieces (they were all 50 or less HP by then, lol). Was a great ending to the game. Though, now I'm wondering how it would've gone if the point costs were even, haha.

Overall for the night though the 1st place winner proved that none of us remembered how important Disruptive is for this format. He was playing the new Thrawn/Uggernaut combo:

Thrawn
Uggernaut x2
Veers
Jabba, Crime Lord
Nym
Wicket
Ugo

Wiped the floor with just about everybody. It was sickening. I'll definitely remember to include Disruptive next time. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I was really upset afterwords because I thought my build was pretty decent, but I went 1-2 (well, technically 2-2, but only because I got a bye in the last round, lol). Now that I realize the one squad was over 200 points, and how close that game was, I know I could've won it with some more careful playing and with the couple less pieces he should've had. I think my problem was that I went for the Han Rogue counter as a way to counter squads that were dependent on initiative (hoping that I would be able to win init and push away dangerous pieces). Now I remember why you need to try to counter both initiative and CEs, lol.