logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Danville Tourney 2/24/12
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

After reading the tourney reports from FrostyCon I figured I'd make this a bit more like they do their reporting. Hopefully readers will get some squad ideas or some interest in what they find here since the Danville group does try hard to keep things interesting week after week at our events.

So I guess now I'll start with squads

Audri Sampson SWMGamers: AudriSampson

"Cad Bane is Firing his Lazer!!!"

49 Jedi Exile
33 Bastilla Shan JM
54 Cad Bane
28 Dash Rendar
17 Lobot
3 Uggie
6 Mouse Droidx2

Benjamin Schiffli SWMGamers: HannahCannon

51 Count Dooku of Serenno
42 Savage Oppress
27 NightSister Mother
34 NightSister Sith Witch x2
31 Tyber Zann
09 Mouse Droid x3
06 Uggie x2

Shawn Cunningham SWMGamers: SvenBlackSunVigo

57 GGDAC
33 4-Lom Bounty Hunter
44 IG-88 Bounty Hunter
17 IG-86 Assasin Droid
09 Poggle the Lesser
10 San Hill
20 Genosian Drone x10
09 Uggie x3

Daniel Miller

70 Luke and Yoda
32 Das Jennis
26 Leia, Bounty Hunter
15 Lobot, Chief Liason Officer
17 Boba Fett, Young Mercenary
18 Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel
22 Rodian Hunt Master

Sam Gilkison

"NR Pile"

52 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
10 Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
23 General Wedge Antilles
48 Shado Vau
33 Jaden Karr
03 Uggie
27 Lobot

Kenny Smoot SWMGamers: Chewie73

"Rebel Pile"

18 C3PO & R2D2
14 General Reikan
36 Yoda of Dagobah
48 Vader's Apprentic Unleased
49 Luke Skywalker, Champion of the Force
27 Han on TaunTaun
06 Uggie x2

Standings

Audri Sampson 9pts
Benjamin Schiffli 6pts
Sam Gilkison 3pts
Kenny Smoot 3pts
Shawn Cunningham 3pts
Daniel Miller 3pts

We do have a strong tendancy towards playing lower activation squads that finish most games. Also if you notice maps are not listed with the squads that is because the maps are assigned by the head judge or the shop owner to each table.

Just a few notes about my squad.. First off I'll probably never play it again. I played against Kenny rd1, Ben rd2, and Sam round 3. Kenny and Sam both played figures that granted evade. If Bastilla would not have been in my squad they both would have beat from me here to kingdom come. My match against Ben was really close. He did manage to out flank my guns and get base to base with Bastilla using Savage Oppress at the final activation of his turn. If he had won iniative on that turn it would have been an entirely different game and much closer then it was. I did win iniative and Cad Bane dropped a fully healed Savage in one turn effectively ending the game for all intents and purposes. Also with the shop map rules I did play on Throne room every round which was a BIG help with the open areas. I'll have another report next week so I hope everyone finds something useful in this one and ongoing ones.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

Post subject: Re: Danville Tourney 2/24/12
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Kenny Smoot SWMGamers: Chewie73

"Rebel Pile"

18 C3PO & R2D2
14 General Reikan
36 Yoda of Dagobah
48 Vader's Apprentice, Redeemed
49 Luke Skywalker, Champion of the Force
27 Han on TaunTaun
06 Uggie x2

This was definitely a fun squad to play, I do have some revisions I am going to make though(They're going to be kept under wraps, because I think I'll be playing them next week). The Evade in this squad works well because if you make the save it's amazing, but Rieekan isn't super costly and is giving it to all allies. In the match against Shawn(SvenBlackSunVigo) Evade stopped 90% of his heavy hitters from touching me, hot dice I guess. The biggest thing here was the squad was built to play Luke, Cotf but I wanted another offensive piece so I worked in VAR. More to come next time I run it, or a variation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:58 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
audrisampson wrote:
Also if you notice maps are not listed with the squads that is because the maps are assigned by the head judge or the shop owner to each table.

Is this how it always done in Danville? Maps are a pretty essential part of set up and squad building to even the playing field. I hope nobody ever gets assigned Korriban, Ossus or Endor 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:16 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yeah, that's the way the shop owner likes to do it. The reasoning behind it is that most of us started playing in the last year or so, so we don't really have our own maps. Most of the maps are supplied by the shop owner and we stick pretty much with the restricted and a few standard maps. We also don't have half of the maps on the restricted list anyway, so we expand a bit into standard for a little variety. I honestly see it as a pretty fair way of doing things since the match pairings are randomly decided anyway. So you have to build something that can play well on anything.

As for me last night, I was playing sith witches with Savage Oppress and Count Dooku. First match against Sam I was able to get Savage to the edge of Sam's squad at the end of turn 2. Savage did a repulse that took out all his little stuff, pushed his offensive stuff into a group, and activated several of them. Then the witches came in and cleaned up with lightning.

Second match was against Audri. I made the mistake of bringing in Figrin D'an with Zann's bribery, when I should have brought in 2 camaasi nobles instead. I won the map roll and set up on the throne room side. most of my squad worked its way through the throne room while savage went the longer way around through the corridors. Dash and Cad were getting off 6 shots each with her exile, but I managed to take out Dash when he had to move out his full 6 spaces to shoot at Dooku. While that took place I moved Savage all the way to Audri's side to try and get in position to attack her from the big open room. She moved Bastilla up to the room with the holding cells. At the end of the next round Savage managed to move 12 and get adjacent to Bastilla, but I should have burned a force point to move 2 extra squares and get completely into the room with her and let Bastilla take an AOO if she wanted to. As it was, I lost initiative and Cad was able to get an open shot at Savage. It took all 6 of his shots, but he took down Savage and I was pretty much out of offense at that point with one witch at half health and the nightsister mother with only 20 hp. They both got off one last attack that turn before the exile took them out and I conceded with just Tyber Zann left on the board.

Last match was against Daniel and went similar to the first one. I got Savage in close at the end of a round and used a repulse which killed off Dass, Lando, Boba, and the hunt master. After that it was just a matter of burning through all of Luke's force points so I could take him down. Not a bad night overall, just wish I would have done a little more against Audri.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:47 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

R5Don4 wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
Also if you notice maps are not listed with the squads that is because the maps are assigned by the head judge or the shop owner to each table.

Is this how it always done in Danville? Maps are a pretty essential part of set up and squad building to even the playing field. I hope nobody ever gets assigned Korriban, Ossus or Endor 8-)

No of course not. We use the Standard maplist. As Hannah said outside of me and the shop owner maps are pretty hard pressed to find in our area. Also our more casual players enjoy the randomazation of maps. When we started doing this the vote was unanimous by everyone with me going with it because everyone wanted to. It sounds awful here I'll admit but it has done some pretty nifty things in a 3 round local event.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Maybe we didn't explain it well. A map is assigned to each of the tables, not assigned to a player. Then we get randomly placed at one of the tables for our match.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That's a pretty interesting way to do it, it works almost like the Mystery Map event at GenCon. At that event everyone plays on the same map, but it's a 100% brand new design that none of the players have seen before, so there's no way to know whether your squad will do well or not on it beforehand.

I've always felt that about half the game is played before dice even hit the table, that being squad choice and map choice. Taking map choice basically out of it makes it a little less "competitive", but definitely adds another interesting level to it. You can't play a squad that just abuses a popular map, knowing that you'll win map roll half the time and then some of the times that you don't win map roll your opponent will be playing that map anyway. You have to build a squad that can hold up on a wide variety of maps.

How do you handle who sets up first, though? Do you do a pseudo map roll and just say that the high roll "picked" the map that's out, so the low roll gets to either set up first or defer?

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:14 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Echo wrote:
That's a pretty interesting way to do it, it works almost like the Mystery Map event at GenCon. At that event everyone plays on the same map, but it's a 100% brand new design that none of the players have seen before, so there's no way to know whether your squad will do well or not on it beforehand.

I've always felt that about half the game is played before dice even hit the table, that being squad choice and map choice. Taking map choice basically out of it makes it a little less "competitive", but definitely adds another interesting level to it. You can't play a squad that just abuses a popular map, knowing that you'll win map roll half the time and then some of the times that you don't win map roll your opponent will be playing that map anyway. You have to build a squad that can hold up on a wide variety of maps.

How do you handle who sets up first, though? Do you do a pseudo map roll and just say that the high roll "picked" the map that's out, so the low roll gets to either set up first or defer?

I don't know about the less competitive aspect of having a pre-picked map. Every squad I play I have to prep to play on a selection of about 10 or so maps. As far as the set up procedures we roll for sides instead of map. High role picks the side and sets up first.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

audrisampson wrote:
Echo wrote:

I don't know about the less competitive aspect of having a pre-picked map. Every squad I play I have to prep to play on a selection of about 10 or so maps. As far as the set up procedures we roll for sides instead of map. High role picks the side and sets up first.

Yeah, the "competitive" aspect is definitely debatable (part of why I put it in quotes), since now you have to more often consider playing on ANY map. It kind of comes down to your definition of competitiveness in games in general, since some people think that less randomness makes a more competitive game (because when you take away player choice, it becomes less about who's good and more about who's lucky), and this certainly introduces more randomness. On the other hand, of course, the better player should be the one who can handle bad luck better, right?

That gets into some much deeper game theory, though, way beyond the scope of this thread. I do like the idea, though.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino