logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Third Annual Capital City Champs (Lansing, MI) Jan 28 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Don't be silly, I can't swap a yuzzem for a tank, they're the wrong base size. Now imperial sentinels, that's a different story. Sentinel/yuzzem swap shall be the newest abomination to hit the Danville area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:17 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

audrisampson wrote:
After that post in your favorite Mini, I'm almost tempted to work on something Thon centered for this event for myself.

Weeks' Thon Bomb squad on bloomilk (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/109761/thon-bomb) looks really viable, as does pretty much every squad Weeks makes. It's got lots of tricks - Jedi Mind Trick 3, Force Absorb, Sever Force, and Repulse 4. I'm keen to take it for a spin in a serious game sometime:
65 Master Kavar
64 Master Thon
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
14 Old Republic Senator
8 R7 Astromech Droid
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(199pts. 10 activations)

In my book, Thon is just about as good as Grand Master Luke Skywalker - he just lacks the Djem So Style Mastery and needs Kavar to make up the stats difference - and he costs 50 points less and is better at doing damage on the move.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TheHutts wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
After that post in your favorite Mini, I'm almost tempted to work on something Thon centered for this event for myself.

Weeks' Thon Bomb squad on bloomilk (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/109761/thon-bomb) looks really viable, as does pretty much every squad Weeks makes. It's got lots of tricks - Jedi Mind Trick 3, Force Absorb, Sever Force, and Repulse 4. I'm keen to take it for a spin in a serious game sometime:
65 Master Kavar
64 Master Thon
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
14 Old Republic Senator
8 R7 Astromech Droid
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(199pts. 10 activations)

In my book, Thon is just about as good as Grand Master Luke Skywalker - he just lacks the Djem So Style Mastery and needs Kavar to make up the stats difference - and he costs 50 points less and is better at doing damage on the move.

That looks like a ton of fun and certainly something I'm going to run a playtest of for the event. Dumb question.. How important are the mouse droids?? My area has ten total and they are used by two players so needless to say I don't own a mouse droid LOL. I know that sounds incredibly stupid for a player that has been around as long myself but mine all got sold off when I got rid of my collection around Dark Times.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Ok, so my wife and I crunched some number last night and this looks like the worst weekend for me to be laying down 50$ +.

half a tank of gas=25$. I could easily reduce this to 5-10 via carpooling, so Chicago guys?

Food: 15ish (I know we'll want to go to the Mongolian place in K-zoo as usual? and I AM ALL FOR THAT)-this will pretty much be resolved by above and below. I'll bring a sack lunch for Saturday.

Entry 10$: Likely absorbed by 1, though with 2 there...I could always just judge. It's not like I ever play anymore anyway. I find half the time I do thiese things is for everything and everyone surround the actual tourney. If no judge is needed, I'll just hang.

So it primarily lies on 1. Who's all planning on going from Chicago and hanging out at Eric's?

Also this would also be resolved in could find a FULL-time teaching job lol. So any help there would be great!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

audrisampson wrote:
That looks like a ton of fun and certainly something I'm going to run a playtest of for the event. Dumb question.. How important are the mouse droids?? My area has ten total and they are used by two players so needless to say I don't own a mouse droid LOL. I know that sounds incredibly stupid for a player that has been around as long myself but mine all got sold off when I got rid of my collection around Dark Times.

You really want Weeks to answer that, but I think you can get away without them - they're not essential, but it makes the squad sub-optimal. The two ranged CEs are the OR Senator's extra attack, and Master Kavar's stat bonus. Assuming you have Kavar on Thon's back and Bastila out the back meditating, you want to give the extra attack to Thon, so you'd need to keep your diplomat within 6 of Thon. It should work fine most of the time, and you could even use him as walking cover if the other team doesn't have anything that can hurt him, although he'll cop it if you ever want to Force Repulse. If the other team has the potential to get to Bastila, having a mouse droid next to her to pass on Kavar's stat bonus is also useful.

Mouse Droids are also really good at just getting in the way - if the other team has a big shooter without accurate shot like Cad Bane, you can get him wasting shots trying to kill a mouse droid (he needs 14s to hit a mouse droid in cover) so he doesn't get so many shots at Thon and Kavar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Ok, so my wife and I crunched some number last night and this looks like the worst weekend for me to be laying down 50$ +.

half a tank of gas=25$. I could easily reduce this to 5-10 via carpooling, so Chicago guys?

Food: 15ish (I know we'll want to go to the Mongolian place in K-zoo as usual? and I AM ALL FOR THAT)-this will pretty much be resolved by above and below. I'll bring a sack lunch for Saturday.

Entry 10$: Likely absorbed by 1, though with 2 there...I could always just judge. It's not like I ever play anymore anyway. I find half the time I do thiese things is for everything and everyone surround the actual tourney. If no judge is needed, I'll just hang.

So it primarily lies on 1. Who's all planning on going from Chicago and hanging out at Eric's?

Also this would also be resolved in could find a FULL-time teaching job lol. So any help there would be great!

Jake and I are both working out the details, but assuming I get off work and Jake is still able to go - I'm sure we could grab you on the way. I'll know tonight or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Alright, looks like have have been given leave from work. I have prepped myself to just be broke for a while.

I plan on coming to MI Friday night. Eric - can I call dibs on whatever bed is left, or even a couch? (Actually that couch is really comfortable!)

Brad - let's see if we can work out carpooling details. As of now the plan is to leave Friday afternoon to get in Friday night at a reasonable hour.

I'll check with Jake to see when it works for him too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I just printed out copies of the squad registration sheets and noticed they have a section for reserves/reinforcements. Does that mean you can only have 5 different figures for your Reinforcements for the entire tourney? Or is that just there to be helpful but you can add more if you are going to keep the figures on hand.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:31 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

you don't need to fill those out at all. You can have and use any number of reserve/reinforcement options as long as you can get them ready in a reasonable amount of time (couple mins) for each match. Most people bring along 3 or 4 "sets" of normal reinforcements and keep them within easy reach so depedning on what squad they face they have them ready and then have more options available for if they want some exotic tech in a praticular matchup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Glad to hear that we don't need to list all those extras. I'm pretty certain what I would normally bring in, but I wouldn't want to be denied the ability to bring in anything I might need just because I forgot to list it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:05 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

My house is open for SWM players.
Brad has the Star Wars bed
Tim (the white/blue couch - its in a new location)
Jake - someplace

I have two open beds (Cars and pink Disney), 3 couches and lots of floor space. The two showers will make getting around in the morning faster.

Does anyone else need a place to stay?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:49 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Kindoff a dumb question but does the store where this event is happening sell SWM singles? If so how are they in comparison price wise to online dealers and such??

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

audrisampson wrote:
Kindoff a dumb question but does the store where this event is happening sell SWM singles? If so how are they in comparison price wise to online dealers and such??

I think they have a few singles, but nothing that you would really like to own. I think my trade box is better stocked than their store.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Engineer wrote:
audrisampson wrote:

I think they have a few singles, but nothing that you would really like to own. I think my trade box is better stocked than their store.

Ah ok, was just looking to bring some extra stuff back to a rather depleted play group.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:18 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
audrisampson wrote:
I just printed out copies of the squad registration sheets and noticed they have a section for reserves/reinforcements. Does that mean you can only have 5 different figures for your Reinforcements for the entire tourney? Or is that just there to be helpful but you can add more if you are going to keep the figures on hand.

That section was included on the sheet mainly for Vset mini use, otherwise it would have been scrapped altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:01 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Seeing as the new floor rules are up and effective Jan 15

SSM will be all attacks
The new additions to the restricted map list will be allowed. There will be copies of The Cantina available for sale at the tourney if anyone wants to pick up a copy or even use it to play on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Man, this day is going so slow at work. Can't wait till it's over and I can throw everyone in the car for the trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm getting ready to leave my place to go pick up Jake at work. Then we're going to his place in the south suburbs, then we are headed to MI. Hope we don't get caught in too much of the nasty Chicago area Friday rush hour. If not, Eric we'll be to your house around 8pm Eastern. We'll call or text when we have a better idea. See you all there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

What a great event. From my understanding 14 players attended!! The prize payout was amazing, I would have never thought $10 and 7th place with 6 pts could get you a new map and a custom mini and even a rare or two. Thanks to Capitol City Collectibles for hosting the event and everyone that made the event run so smoothly.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:53 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

What happened to the requisite write up of the event, # attended, squads played, winner, etc.?