logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Force Unleashed Tournament Report from Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:33 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Well, my first tournament that I attempted to organize and have DCI-sanctioned fell through on DCI-sanctioning because only three people showed up (needed four). We were planning on at least five, but two didn’t have enough money to come.

The good thing: Since the whole DCI-thing didn’t work out, I got to play in the tournament. (It was just the same guys from my Monday night group, so they didn’t care if I played and was judge, too, since I’m judge every night we play.)

I had very good pulls for a sealed tournament. Heck, everybody else did, too.

I got Luke & Yoda, Luke’s Snowspeeder and Master Kota. (My commons/uncommons left A LOT to be desired, though!)

The Kid got Luke Unleashed and Maris Brood.

The Other Guy got Darth Revan (not sure of his other rare).

My Hubby got Master Kota and Maris Brood.

Everybody was talking out loud about their pulls (not the brightest thing to do), so I admit it...I meta-gamed. I knew everybody had big melee beat-sticks, and I wanted to stay as far away from everybody as possible, so I went with shooters.

My Squad: the Snowspeeder, the Tank Droid and an AT-AT Driver.

Game 1 vs. The Kid
Map: RotS Starter

The Kid played Maris Brood, Luke Unleashed, Wookiee Warrior and two Mynocks.

The first shot of the game, he rolled a crit with the Wookiee on my Snowspeeder! (With DR10, it was 30, but still...ouch!) I took out his Wookiee ASAP.

His Mynocks kept circling, but never coming close enough to do anything. He kept Luke and Maris in a corner where I could mobile in, shoot and mobile back out.

He panicked and hid Maris in a room. My AT-AT Driver opened the door and the Tank and Snowspeeder kept shooting. Eventually he Force-pushed the AT-AT Driver, killing him. The Tank and Snowspeeder moved in and finished Maris off.

Game 2 vs. The Other Guy
Map: Death Star

The Other Guy played Darth Revan and an AT-AT Driver

I moved to the center of the map and we played “door funâ€￾ for most of the game. I’d get a few shots in and the AT-AT Drivers killed each other off.

He had to advance Revan to try to do any damage. I tied him up with the Tank Droid, while the Snowspeeder mobiled in and out. I wore him down eventually and won.

Game 3 vs. My Hubby
Map: Death Star

My Hubby played Maris Brood, Wookiee Warrior, Evo Trooper, Star Destroyer Officer and two Raxus Prime Troopers

That Evo Trooper always got good shots off and I’d take 20 of 30 almost every time it shot. Naturally, I couldn’t seem to manage to hit him in return. But I kept working to pick off his shooters.

Got him down to Maris Brood, who never did close the gap enough to do any damage to me.

+++++

First Place = Me
Second Place = The Other Guy
Third Place = My Hubby
Fourth Place = The Kid

Overall, pretty quick games and everybody had a good time.

As for prizes, since I (and by default, my Hubby) already had most of the figs from the cases I’d bought, we passed the prize support to the second place winner (The Other Guy) and the fourth place winner (The Kid).

I also gave The Kid my Snowspeeder and some commons/uncommons from our boosters. And The Other Guy got DH’s Maris Brood and several commons/uncommons for Obi-Wan...whom we didn’t have and did need.

I hope next time there’s a release I can get more people to show up. I believe the cost of the huge sets turns a lot of people away. ($50 just to get the supplies is pretty heavy.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sounds like you guys had fun! That is mean building your squad that way. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't do it too. :P

You guys only play 100 points? Should've played 150, then the guy with Reven would've at least had a few more pieces, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:20 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

LoboStele wrote:
That is mean building your squad that way. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't do it too. :P

Yeah, I know. But they were blabbing so loudly over their pulls that I couldn't help myself. But, to be fair, I *did* also tell them what I pulled.

Quote:
You guys only play 100 points? Should've played 150, then the guy with Reven would've at least had a few more pieces, lol.

I'd advertised the game as a 100-point tournament and had told everybody when they arrived that they'd be building 100-points. Decided I probably shouldn't change that late in the process. (Maybe next time higher points.) Got us outta there early, though, as most matches went only 30-minutes max! :P