logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Report from Cincinnati, Part II: Yotta Quest Release
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, well, we were lucky enough to have WotC/DCI sanction two Official Release events in Cincinnati (yay, we got extra squad boxes...in other words, WotC Official-ness was of little importance this time, but at least we had two events). Anyways....here's how things went on Sunday at Yotta Quest. And I've even got some pictures to help show things! ;)

We started out the morning with an appearance by some of the local 501st folks. Came out just to support the shop, and hang out for a little bit.

(The non-costumed guy is the shop owner - great guy - and in case you haven't seen previous pictures I've posted, I'm the black Republic Commando in the middle)

I cracked open my boosters and was pleasantly surprised to find Revan and Kota. Also got a Spider (yay! :P) and a Golan Turret. Had a tough time deciding what to play, but since I hadn't had a chance to play with either Revan or Kota yet, I decided to go with the 3 man army of Revan, Kota, and a snowtrooper...exactly 150 points, lol. We had 10 people total for the event.

First game, up against a guy with Luke & Yoda and Shaak Ti...Ugh. Lucky for me, he was a pretty new player, and really didn't know what he was doing. I took it relatively easy on him (didn't use FPs near Luke because I knew he wasn't remembering to use his own abilities except when I suggested that he do so, like FP re-rolls) but still beat him without too much trouble. Sent Revan and Kota after Luke first, and between 5 attacks in a round, took down Luke without too much trouble. He was a good sport about it and had fun.

Of course, who wouldn't have fun playing SWM against a Republic Commando...

2nd game was against TheMadman who had Vader, Han, Golan Turret, Gotal, Verpine, and Cloud Car Pilot. I took down the Golan pretty quickly, and luckily for me, his Han couldn't hit squat, because I was going first almost every round and denying him his Cunning bonus. Even with combined fire from two pieces, he still needed 11s to hit Kota in cover! Playing in Death Star, he moved his Vader through the rooms along the bottom, but I managed to set up a Repulse 5 on him, and he failed the Dark Armor save, and the activation save, even after a FP re-roll. That helped a LOT. Revan came in and helped mop up Vader pretty quickly, and then the game was pretty much over at that point. Both Revan and Kota had a lot of HP left at the end of that game.

3rd game was against my buddy James, who had some rather lousy pulls this weekend (Ozzel and Garm on Saturday, and I don't remember which rares on Sunday, because I don't think he played them. His squad had a TIE Crawler, Junk Golem, Amanin, Hoth Repeating Blaster, Wookiee, Imp Navy Trooper, SDO, CC Pilot, and Elite Hoth Trooper. It didn't go well for him. I managed in the 4th round to set up a Repulse 5 that killed the Amanin and Wookiee, and did 40 to the TIE and the Junk Golem (made his Shield Save). Revan wiped out the Golem's remaining HP that round, and then both Revan and Kota smashed the TIE next. It was a quick game.

Final game against my buddy Dan, whose squad was Vader, Juno, Telosian Tank Droid, Gotal, Ugo Tech, Darktrooper, and Verpine. I got a nice Repulse 5 off on the Tank Droid, the Darktrooper and Vader pretty early, but after some maneuvering through the hall-ways (we were on Bespin, and I tried to send Revan after the scrubs while Kota was Repulsing) I ended up with both Revan and Kota based against Vader with the Tank Droid behind Vader. My luck went way sour at this point. I missed Revan's block saves, only hit 1 out of 3 of Revan's attacks, and the Tank Droid crit on Revan to put him down to 10 HP. Then, in the following rounds, my Kota managed to have about 10 straight rolls of 10 or less (needing 11s to hit a Vader with only 30 hp left) over the course of 2 or 3 rounds. And at that point Vader and the Tank Droid just pounded Kota into submission. Looking back at it I should've played more defensively, but I was having fun, and I didn't really care whether I won, since both the Revan and Kota I pulled were extras that I could trade.

So, I went 3-1 again (same as Saturday). Was a great day though. I got 1 booster for a prize, and I pulled Proxy and an Uggernaut. One of the other guys pulled a Junk Golem, and since I only had one of those so far, I offered to trade my Proxy and Uggernaut for the Junk Golem and a Luke & Yoda.

Here's a pic of the top 3.

All said and done we had a great weekend of events. Between 3 cases, 4 boosters for 2 release events, and then 1 prize booster from Sunday, plus a few trades, I'm only missing 5 pieces now, so I'm very happy. Was definitely a fun weekend.

edited by dnemiller added your tag for you Lobo as pics were not showing up[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Aye, I enjoy being the slightly-silly vod of the group. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:43 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Cool. Raven and Kota are powerful. Intuition and repulse is a great combo. It's hard to run a 3 man army, even more so against ozzel, but thankfully you didn't face him.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee