logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Report from Cincinnati, Part I: ACME Games Release Event
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm going to break the Cincinnati stuff into two posts, since we had two different release events....anyways....

We had our first event of the weekend at ACME Games. We had a total of 20 people, but that got split up into a Juniors bracket of 8 (kids like 15 and under or something like that) and then an adult bracket of 12. I don't know much about the kids bracket, I know they had fun not having to compete against some of us older, ultra-competitive guys. :lol:

I don't remember my exact pulls, but my squad ended up being:

Vader Unleashed
Maris Brood
Golan Turret
AT-AT Driver
Darktrooper

I had a few other decent pieces, but I kinda really wanted to play the Darktrooper, and most other combinations of figures put me 1 point over. Still though, I pulled 2 VRs that I didn't already have, so at that point, I almost didn't care how well I played throughout the day.

My 2nd game was against a squad led by Master Kota. It also had a Caamasi, a Vanguard, a Gotal, and a couple other scrubs. It didn't go so hot. I moved Maris up at one point to begin the confrontation with Kota, but I forgot about Repulse 5 and he managed to set himself up (and then win Initiative) for a Repulse hit on both Maris and Vader. Maris dropped quick after that. Kota had a tough time hitting Vader, but since Kota had Full HP, I couldn't take him down fast enough. End of the game, he Repulsed me again, and made the Dark Armor save, leaving me with 10hp. His Gotal made the amazing shot (needing a 14 to hit) and finished me off. Was a great game.

Game three was a lot of fun, but I slaughtered the other guy. He had Ozzel, Garm, AT-ST, Gotal, and a Marksman, with a Golan Turret as Garm's Reinforcements. We played on Death Star, I started on the Hanger side, and I just moved Vader and Maris up to his Turret as fast as I could. In Round 2 I had done enough damage to the turret already, that Maris was able to move up and Assualt/Twin to kill it (only one round of free gambit, yeah!). Funniest moment of the day happened next for me. The other guy was using Ozzel to hold open the door, and his AT-ST had started in the middle room where it could pound my Turret. Granted, he landed a crit on the Turret during this round with the AT-ST, but once his Turret died, Ozzel became the closest target. Vader just simply moved to have LOS and Choked him. "Lord Vader, we've moved the fleet out of hyperspace and are preparing to...ack!..." :D From there I moved Maris and Vader up, pushed the AT-ST away from the door at one point to deny him a full round of attacks with the AT-ST. Then Vader and Brood finished off the walker pretty easily.

I honestly cannot remember right now what my first and last games where, but they were wins (I played a total of 12 games this weekend, so some of them are starting to run together). But, I did manage to go 3-1 on Saturday, and came in 3rd place. I won a free booster, but it had Leia and a Turret in it, both of which I already had (and had extra of, at that). Because of the great pulls I had in the boosters to start with, I just gave them to another guy who needed both.

The first and 2nd place guys both had Master Kota. One guy with Luke & Yoda was 2-0 and narrowly lost to another guy. But, because of how the rankings had played out, he still played against the only other undefeated guy in round 3. If he had won, there would've been nobody undefeated for the whole day, but he had to face the other Master Kota, and I guess he just couldn't pull out the win. Overall though, nobody pulled Fett, and only one person pulled Revan, but they also pulled Kota, and decided to go with Kota and filler and leave Revan on the side. Nobody pulled Shaak Ti or Kazdan either, or at least, they didn't play them.

Was a great day overall, and we had a blast. Almost as many people as we had at the BH release (we had like 23-24 then).

I'll right up about our Sunday event later.