logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Toronto Dueling Grounds TFU Release
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:13 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
A shout out to everyone who showed up, we got a terrific turnout even if we did get off to a late start. Also a special thanks to Dueling Grounds for hosting the event and clearing out there stock of Bith Rebel and Clone Trooper promos for all participants, in addition to the pretty boxes and counter tokens.

Here was my squad:

R5Don4 Fourth Place :?
Luke's Snowspeeder
K-3PO
Juno Eclipse

Gotal Imperial Assassin
AT-AT Driver
Felucian Stormtrooper Officer
Verpine Tech
Verpine Tech
Caamasi Noble
Raxus Prime Trooper
Mynock

I was really happy to have Luke's Speeder in there or else I was going to have to rely on my Gotal as my heavy hitter. I tried to make the best of my seemingly crap pulls anyway right down to my Gambit seeking Mynock.
Basically I tried to pair up each of my Accurate shooters with a Verpine and if the Stormtrooper Officer was able to get his double off within six of a Verpine that was gravy.

In the first round I faced off against John's squad below:

John 1st Round
Han Solo of Hoth
Golan Anti-infantry Battery
Junk Golem
Hoth Trooper with Repeating Blaster Cannon
Gotal Imperial Assassin
Mon Calamari Medic
Rebel Vanguard
Ugnaught Demolitionist Tech

Map choice went to me and we played on the Jedi Praxeum map. I also won side and took the hangar side. John set up his Golan Battery dead center up against the door.

I sent my Noble headlong into gambit in the first round. He remained safe because the Golan didn't activate until last opening the door on his side. I tried to stay to the top of the map as much as possible not to give the Battery a target and I pretty much ignored it for the entire game. Directly behind the Battery he had his Repeating Blaster set up and with speed 1 it might as well have been an emplacement.

I managed to get my Mynock into protected gambit in the Flight Suit locker by the second round where he nestled in for the duration of the match sucking Gambit. The Speeder got through in the second round and got a couple of shots off at Han, who made both of his Evade rolls, which was to become an expected occurance in this match. With figure placement I was able to ward off the Junk Golem from being able to attack.

This was a long drawn out game that went to time. I finally killed Han in the final round, I swear he made eight Evade saves without Force Points no less. If I hadn't eliminated Han I wouldn't have won this one, it just squeaked me over in points. Really close.

1-0

Second round winners play winners and I faced off against RUHK/Eric who went on to win the tourney. His squad was:

Eric FIRST PLACE WINNER 2nd Round
Vader's Secret Apprentice, Redeemed
Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun

Evo Trooper
Emperor's Shadowguard
Wookiee Warrior
Wookiee Warrior
Raxus Prime
Caamasi Noble
Caamasi Noble
Imperial Naval Trooper
Imperial Naval Trooper

Map choice went to me again and we played on the Jedi Praxeum map. Eric won side and chose to start in the Hangar or on the Good side as it is known. I tried to make the best of it with my flying characters and K-3PO's Universe style Thrawn swap to get my characters in best possible postion. I was none too anxious to get within Grenade/ Lightsabre/Force push 5 range.

Regardless it seemed my squad was crumbling before my eyes in no time.

Eric would have none of my Mynock going about his business sucking Gambit. My Noble did his best to distract his Wookiee Warrior before he took them both out in about round three or four.

I did manage to have Juno get one of his Nobles though. He sent his Shadow Guard after her and I did my best to concentrate on him but he is one tough UC and had to have Luke help them out.

VAR decided to get tough in round six and my poor Gotal got Force Push 4ed into obliveon.

In the end though it came down to Speeder vs. Apprentice and Noble locking themselves in the centre room. I got a couple of lucky shots in on the apprentice but he had plenty of HP to go. I gave up the match when we were told we had five minutes left. There was no way for me to win.

1-1

Next I played down to a very friendly fellow who I had helped make the most of his squad and available map choice during construciton. Here is Hank's squad:

Henry 3rd Round
Kazdan Paratus
K-3PO

TIE Crawler
Evo Trooper
Raxus Prime Trooper
Imperial Navy Trooper

I won map choice again, but being disenchanted with my recent experience on the Jedi Praxeum I decided to go with Henry's map, Mos Eisley. I won side too, and I have to admit I really boned Henry by making him start on the Cantina side. He didn't get his TIE Tank out of the Cantina until round 3. By then I was thoroughly entrenched in Gambit and could see I could ease off a bit.

I hope Hank at least took away a lesson in how to make the most of K-3PO by watching me swapping my AT-AT Driver with my Noble away from a based Kazdan. Luckily for me his Droid Reinforcements never kicked in because he had a Junk Golem waiting in the wings to pounce on me. I burned through Kazdan's 110 HP and 18 DF pretty quickly.

The TIE Crawler, however, with DR10 only prolonged the agony as I slowly wore it down by combining fire with my 20Dam shootes and Luke basing twinning and mobiling to safety.
Good match. Great sport.

2-1

Fourth and final round players with same records pair off. I played against Jason, a really intelligent player that I bet would destroy me in a constructed game. It was unbelievable to see the kind of synergy he was able to squeeze out of this squad. He pulled Kota, but the only Fringe character in his squad is a Droid.

Jason 4th Round
Master Kota

Telosian Tank Droid
Raxus Prime Trooper
Raxus Prime Trooper
Rebel Vanguard
Mon Calamari Medic
Elite Hoth Trooper

I won map choice again, and Jason's map being the beatstick friendly the Rancor pit, I chose to return to the Jedi Praxeum once again. I lost side and had to start on the rough terrain galore side again.

I sent half of my squad up the top, and half up bottom.

Jason's group charged for the control room. Naturally I got there first with my 16 Flighted speed. I laid in wait in the Lightsaber Training area for someone to open the door so I could lay the beat down. I thought the Speeder would be safe enough there.

Before I know it the Vanguard has missled the Speeder, I fail the save, I fail the reroll. Next the Tank Droid or Fridge as we called it has hit with both of its attacks, one of which was a Crit. As you can imagine having the very backbone of my squad down to 30 HP so early in the game was a bit distressing. I used Juno to take out the Vanguard leaving her within LOS to most of his squad. Luke mobiled out took a couple of shots on the Tauntaun missing one (with a reroll) and beat it out of there to around the corner.

I decided to let Jason have the control room. I'd attack from the other side.

That damn Medic kept healing the TaunTaun and through careful placement my only available target was the Fridge with DR10. So I went for it using K-3PO for all he was worth to swap around my pieces and get off the Gotal's Careful Shot/Deadeye. With Luke's help and plenty of Combined Fire the Fridge was finally gone in three rounds.

We swung around full circle so that now all of Jason's pieces were out of LOS safely inside the Praxeum and I was halfway out the door into the Hangar. The next round he ran up Kota to set up for the crazy Force Repulse too early and I was able to get everyone safely behind closed doors. I made a stupid error in logic thinking that since my only trooper had been taken out that my Stormtrooper Officer was now expendable and instead of moving him out the door he based Kota and attacked him, missing of course. I pulled some more K-3PO swapping trickery to get through the middle doors with the Noble and AT-AT Driver to get another shot on the ever healing Tauntaun.

The next round we were coming close to time and everyone was standing around waiting for us to finish. Kota Double Attacked the Stormtrooper Officer rolling 3's both times and another 3 on the Force Reroll. One lucky trooper. I had bloodlust for that Tauntaun and finally took it down and that diligent Medic too. When time was called I won by points. Whew.

3-1

For coming in Fourth I won a booster. I've had outstanding luck with my pulls as prizes here in the past and this time was no different. One of the guys said if I pulled a Rancor he would kick me in the nads, luckily I didn't and I pulled another Luke Speeder.

SECOND PLACE WINNER
Master Kota
Wookiee Hunter AT-ST

Stormtrooper
Evo Trooper
Caamasi Noble
Snowtrooper

THIRD PLACE WINNER
Han Solo of Hoth

Emperor's Shadowguard
Gotal Imperial Assassin
Stormtrooper
Junk Golem
Imperial Navy Trooper
Wookiee Warrior
Elite Hoth Trooper

WOOKIEEMAN

Man the dude came all the way from Vancouver, only to pull Juna and Hershey Bar! He considered quitting off the bat, but he decided to stick it out.

Juno Eclipse
Imperial Navy Trooper
Junk Golem
Stormtrooper
Rebel Marksman
Elite Hoth Trooper
Raxus Prime Trooper
Wookiee Warrior
Rebel Vanguard

BENE
Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
Luke Skywalker, Unleashed

Gotal Imperial Assassin
Darktrooper
Rebel Marksman
Evo Trooper
Caamasi Noble
Caamasi Noble

NardMoe
Boba Fett, Mercenary
Wedge Antilles, Red 2
Uggernaught

Gotal Imperial Assassin
Amanin Scout
Caamasi Noble
Imperial Navy Trooper

Luke's Snowspeeder
Han Solo of Hoth

Hoth Trooper with Repeating Blaster Cannon
Hoth Trooper Officer
Mon Calamari Medic

Darth Revan

Hoth Trooper with Repeating Blaster Canon
Stormtrooper
Snowtrooper

Last edited by R5Don4 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:49 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Thanks Dean.

This site is the best thing to happen to SWM since September 2004 BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Very nice. Sounds like you're a decent player to have rode those pieces to 4th place. Well done. I got owned on Saturday in Round 2 by a Master Kota. Force Repulse 5 hurts, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Bad pulls, but good playing. I was thinking that before my release that I hope to god I don't pull juno and K-3P0. It sounds like you played well enough for that to not to matter.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee