logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: TFU Sealed Game in Greenfield, Mass
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:52 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

We had about a dozen people show up. No Rancors, Boba, Vader, Luke/Yoda. 1 Raven was pulled. That guy ended up the winner for the night.

My pulls:
Maris Brood - 49
Knobby White Spider - 38
Luke, PU - 28
Gotal Imperial Assassin - 21
Hoth Trooper Officer - 17
Rebel Troop Cart - 15
Ugnaught Boss - 15
Evo Trooper - 13
Wookiee Warrior - 13
Elite Hoth Trooper - 12
Cloud Car Pilot - 8
Ugnaught Tech - 7
Imperial Navy Trooper - 6
Stormtrooper - 5

I played Brood, Luke, the Elite Hoth Trooper, Imp Navy Trooper, and Stormtrooper. All three games were played on the RS Starter map with my opponent starting in the hanger all three times.

Game 1 was vs Kazadan, Junk Golem, and some filler pieces. Easy win. Force Push 2 & 4 just wrecked the Golem. Brood was able to take care of Kazadan with a couple twined LA while Luke finished off the fodder.

Game 2 I lost to an annoying kid who played Luke's Snowspeeder, Chewie of Hoth, the Troop Cart, the medic, and a diplomat. Maris didn't survive long enough to make it to the speeder to twin LA it. The rest of my squad managed to do enough damage to the speeder to get it down to 40 but the DR10 was too much to deal with. I made a last dirtch effort near the end of the game where I moved Luke up adjacant to the speeder and tried his Demolition Charge when I won iniative for the last round, but he made the save and that was pretty much it.

Game 3 was against one of the other 2 people who pulled Brood (3 Broods from 4 cases). He backed her up with the Gotal Assassin, Darktrooper, Felucian Stormtrooper Officer. Second round Luke was able to use FP4 to take out the Gotal. After that he joined my Brood in beating on his Brood. Once she fell it was pretty much over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:33 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

He gets a bit over excited and tends to talk very loudly throughout the entire game. Some nights my poor old head can't take that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:12 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Seems like a good thread to mention another Massachusetts Release Tourney over the weekend that took place in Abington, MA.

Actually had a really good turnout of about 13 but actually ran out of boosters. 12 played.

Of the big pulls, there was a Rancor and a Vader and your normal spackeling of Broods and Luke Unleashed. No Boba, Revan, or Loda.

My squad:
Maris Brood - 49
Chewbacca of Hoth - 22
TIE Crawler - 42
Wookiee Warrior - 13
Elite Hoth Trooper - 12
Snowtrooper - 7
Camaasi Noble - 5

Map: Rancor Pit
Total: 150

Didn't use a junk golem and some other... well, junk. Plan was to use Chewy with the Crawler to hit for 30 with gunner and then heal. Maris was only there for protection if anyone got too close and a big target to draw some fire.

First match up was against a kid who also had a TIE Crawler along with an Ugnaught. Also had Juno and K-3PO, but nothing dangerous. Exchanged volleys. Uggy heals for 10, Chewy for 20. I win. The penetration of the TIEs did make things interesting though.

Second match was against an Uggernaught and Vader. This actually scared me and I didn't know how to deal with Vader. Ultimately I decided... I wasn't going to. While he held his Vader back gaining force points to choke Maris (which is what I wanted him to do) my Tie fighter killed everything else and made sure he didn't get gambit. He didn't, and I won on points with his Vader at almost full health.

Third match was against Luke's Snowspeeder and Uggernaut with TWO repairing Ugnaughts. Almost took Luke's SS out on second turn due to bad placement. He retreated and healed. With the TIE Crawler's damage reduction, he couldn't do any real damage to it, and any that he did do, Chewy would repair. Took out everything but Snowspeeder, and just protected gambit until I won. Same strategy, same results.

Fourth match was the championship match. And of course, my opponent had an eerily similar squad: Wookiee Hunter AT-ST with Chewbacca of Hoth, and Vader's Apprentice Redeemed. Same strategy as mine, except his vehicle and Jedi beatstick were better draws than mine. Didn't matter though as he opened with a Chewie-aided CRITICAL HIT on my Tie Crawler in the first volley. Yes, that's 90 damage, which, even with DR, kills the Crawler in one hit. OUCH. Next turn, he shot at my charging Maris. Critical hit with the AT-ST again! 80 damage. All but kills her in one hit to be finished up by a convenient force push by the VA Redeemed. With the game obviously over, I send in Chewy as my last stand. Next turn, I'm sure you can guess, critical hit with the AT-ST, kills Chewy. Yep. Game over.

All in all I'm happy with the tournament. I had somewhat inferior pieces to the ones I played but won by protecting gambit and isolating my opponent's big pieces. In the first three matches we used my map, and in the fourth my opponent won map. I'd like to think had I won map again in the fourth round things would have been different, but it's kind of hard to rationalize surviving three 80-90 damage critical hits in three rounds on my three biggest pieces. Not only that, he's a terrific player so my hands were full from the beginning. He deserved to win. Highest respect.

Great game though. Thanks for listening :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:38 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Good playing Ace. That sucks about the crits. That's just terrible luck.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 am 

Thanks Steve. Of course in any game with an element of chance, sometimes you live and die by the die, but man is dying painful sometimes :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:53 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Admiral Ace wrote:
Thanks Steve. Of course in any game with an element of chance, sometimes you live and die by the die, but man is dying painful sometimes :-)

Especially with 3 crits in a row!