logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: FU Midnight Release tournament, Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:38 pm 
General
General

The format was 150 sealed (2 boosters w/ huges). My wife and I both played.

The squad I ended up with was:
Wookiee Hunter AT-ST
Kazdan Paratus
Chewbacca of Hoth
EVO Trooper
[148pts. 4 activations]

She had:
Felucian Warrior on Rancor
Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun
Juno Eclipse
Amanin Scout
Felucian Stormtrooper Officer
A bunch of troopers

I was pretty disappointed with my pulls. But Chewie oddly enough has really good synergy with the Wookiee Hunter, so it worked out okay.

ROUND 1
Unfortunately, my first matchup was against Sophari who pulled Luke & Yoda and Vader's Apprentice Redeemed. Total in the match, she Reflected 280HP(!) worth of damage off of Luke and Yoda. I never even scratched them. Damage Reduction kept me from getting damaged by the Reflects, but obviously, if I couldn't deal any damage, I lost. She didn't even have to reroll a single Reflect--she just made the save the first time every time.
After Round 1, I was 0-1.

Bobbie Jo (my wife) played a guy who pulled both versions of the Apprentice in round 1. He managed to get off a big Lightning and a big Push on the Rancor in the same phase (110 points of unavoidable damage). She still managed to pull it out through Recon and some really skillful combined fire decisions with all the troopers. (Also the Rancor is pretty much an unstoppable beast).

ROUND 2
I played a different girl who pulled Revan and 2-1B. Lucky matchups, huh? First Yuke, then Revan. Anyway, she based the AT-ST early with Revan and I was able to pound him two straight rounds. Everyone ended up clustered together, so she couldn't attack with her Junk Golem without Splashing most of her team. Kazdan snuck around back and took out 2-1B (after he healed 60 on Revan). I managed to pull it out, but it was a tough battle.

Bobbie Jo played a guy running Vader's Apprentice Unleashed and Luke Pilot Unleashed with a Junk Golem and a Knobby White Spider. I didn't get to see the match, but somehow the only piece she lost was her Amanin Scout (although the Rancor only had 20 HP left at the end).

After Round 2, I was 1-1, She was 2-0.

ROUND 3
I got matched up against the guy Bobbie Jo beat in Round 2 (Apprentice, Luke, and huges). We got set up after the second round, and it was a crucial initiative. I rolled a 1. Vader's Apprentice lightninged the AT-ST and Chewie for 60 damage and activated both of them. Luke then Pushed the AT-ST. Next round, I rolled another 1 for initiative. He killed Chewie. But then the AT-ST activated and killed a full-HP Luke (who had no FPs left for Deflect). Kazdan engaged Vader's Apprentice. Next round, I rolled my third straight 1 for initiative. Kazdan and the Apprentice traded blows while my opponent finally got his huges into position to start attacking the AT-ST. I lost initiative again the next round (my 15 to his 19). He got my AT-ST to 10 HP, but couldn't finish it off. I needed 6s to hit his Junk Golem and kill it. I rolled 2 straight 1s on the Double Attack. Next round, I actually won initiative. I was able to take out both the Knobby White Spider (weakened by my lucky EVO Trooper) with the AT-ST, and finish off Vader's Apprentice with an almost-dead Kazdan. The Junk Golem missed the AT-ST, but his Wookiee Warrior killed Kazdan. I won initiative again, and killed the Junk Golem with a Double Attack from the AT-ST. It came down to the Wookiee Hunter AT-ST against a Wookiee Warrior. He won initiative and made his attack roll to finish off my AT-ST.

Bobbie Jo faced Sophari's undefeated Luke and Yoda squad that I faced first. She managed to get Yuke wounded more than anyone else had in the tournament, but she just couldn't finish them off.

Final standings:
1st Yuke and Apprentice Redeemed 3-0
2nd Both Apprentices 2-1
3rd Bobbie Jo (Rancor) 2-1
4th Apprentice Unleashed and Luke Unleashed 2-1
5th Me (AT-ST) 1-2
(I don't remember how the others ranked)

They did rankings based on how many total points you killed in your matches. So even though Bobbie Jo had the hardest schedule (she played 1st place, 2nd place, and 4th place), the 2nd place finisher killed a few more people in the round that he lost, so he finished ahead of her.

All in all, a very fun tournament--but a little frustrating with all the 1s in the last match. :) I'm hoping for better luck in the release tournament on Saturday at the Comic Stop. Maybe I can be the one to pull the unstoppable Muppet Backpack next time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:05 pm 
General
General

dnemiller wrote:
Nice report.... tough day with the ones.... are you sure you did not locate a white 20 sided dice from gencon that rolls ones.... I did throw that thing away I just sure hate to hear someone found it

It was a white d20, but it's the one I've had since I bought the Rebel Storm Starter Set so many years ago. It got me a few crits with the AT-ST, too (90 damage each with Gunner +10), but they were both Reflected by Yuke. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:06 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I share your pain. In my BH sealed tourny I faced both of the guys who pulled Boba BH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:36 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Interesting....proxy sealed event we did last night, the 1st place player had Luke & Yoda as well. I think he could've been beat in the last round, but the other guy (who had Revan) made some mistakes, from what he told me afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:55 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Interesting....proxy sealed event we did last night, the 1st place player had Luke & Yoda as well. I think he could've been beat in the last round, but the other guy (who had Revan) made some mistakes, from what he told me afterwards.

I almost positive this will be a common occurance in release tournaments over the weekend as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, Yuke's defensive abilities are just killer. Unless you have one of the fairly powerful melee beatsticks (like Revan or Shaak-Ti) you'll have a tough time killing him. I was glad I didn't have to play him last night, because my entire squad was all shooters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:21 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Nobody pulled a Luke/Yoda at my LGS.