logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 8394
PMing you on FB Ray.

_________________
Click here to check out all the people who have realized the truth. Someday you will, too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:44 pm
Posts: 237
Location: Owensboro, Ky
dvader831 wrote:
Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
Why do these epic events always have to be random draw?

B/C from all we've seen, the Vong have a pretty good advantage, due to so many of the Epics being Force based. We want to see a huge range of characters and squads out there. No matter who you get, you can have an absolute blast playing in this.



With that logic we should do a random draw for every event to determine what faction you can play.

_________________
Do or Do not. There is no try.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 am
Posts: 328
To make the options a little more open we are going to roll the die twice and give you a choice between 2 different epics.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:21 pm
Posts: 271
Location: Kansas City, MO
spryguy1981 wrote:
To make the options a little more open we are going to roll the die twice and give you a choice between 2 different epics.


I like the spirit of this, and it'll be fun to have a choice, but isn't the likely result of this rule just going to be that 1/6th of the field plays Lah instead of 1/12th?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1359
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
buttcabbge wrote:
I like the spirit of this, and it'll be fun to have a choice, but isn't the likely result of this rule just going to be that 1/6th of the field plays Lah instead of 1/12th?

You guys and your math logic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
Engineer wrote:
buttcabbge wrote:
I like the spirit of this, and it'll be fun to have a choice, but isn't the likely result of this rule just going to be that 1/6th of the field plays Lah instead of 1/12th?

You guys and your math logic.



It shows he's an English Prof though...is that math even correct??? The only way it would be is if Ray and Co. control the number of times a given piece can be rolled...:D

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:47 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:44 pm
Posts: 237
Location: Owensboro, Ky
If Lah is so unfair why not just remove him altogether?

_________________
Do or Do not. There is no try.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:20 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 8394
Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:
Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
Why do these epic events always have to be random draw?

B/C from all we've seen, the Vong have a pretty good advantage, due to so many of the Epics being Force based. We want to see a huge range of characters and squads out there. No matter who you get, you can have an absolute blast playing in this.



With that logic we should do a random draw for every event to determine what faction you can play.




+1

I can't see the logic in this method and I have already said as much to Ray. Yes lah is powerful ... in epic duos. But many of the pieces are costed with mass battle ce's. Unless you have actually tested mass battle Epic SQUADS and found VONG are OP, then this is pretty ridiculous.

_________________
Click here to check out all the people who have realized the truth. Someday you will, too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:25 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 8394
Also, if Lah really is that powerful all this method does is hand the tournament to the people who draw him.

_________________
Click here to check out all the people who have realized the truth. Someday you will, too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:29 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Also, if Lah really is that powerful all this method does is hand the tournament to the people who draw him.


I agree.

That's exactly what this method does.

Lah is too powerful, and drawing him means you have a great chance of winning. Not 100%, but I'd say he has the best chance.


This is why I generally dislike tournaments where you draw your character (be it through opening a booster, or something like we're talking about here). It takes away the skill of creating a team, and puts more of it on luck of the draw.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 8394
TimmerB123 wrote:
Lah is too powerful...


Correction... too powerful for Epic Duos. Many of the other characters have commander effects that will play a bigger role in mass battle/epic squads than they did in duos.

I don't think a Vong squad has the best chance of winning, but then again I haven't tested Epic with these cards, I only played them in duos.

_________________
Click here to check out all the people who have realized the truth. Someday you will, too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 2948
Location: SW Missouri
I highly appreciate all of your input, guys, which is why we're putting a hold on the random idea for the moment. On Sept 24, we're having a tournament here in Bolivar. Matt Spry plans on coming down and we're going to play this format as written, minus the random draw. We're going to test out theories and combos, and hopefully come to a decision on how we'll play it all out. I'm excited to play it, of course.

_________________
That's right, it's always the one in the middle you would least expect to be the most dangerous!
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 am
Posts: 328
Under further review for now, but as Ray stated above, we are going to test the format with people being able to build their squads and see if it skews the results at all. I want to see if any one group dominates, how stuff interacts, etc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Lah is too powerful...


Correction... too powerful for Epic Duos. Many of the other characters have commander effects that will play a bigger role in mass battle/epic squads than they did in duos.

I don't think a Vong squad has the best chance of winning, but then again I haven't tested Epic with these cards, I only played them in duos.


Ah, yes - in duos is indeed what I meant.


There are so many more possibilities in a skirmish. I'm not saying that something won't rise to the top, but I seriously doubt we will see 6 similar squads. My guess is we will see a couple sets of similar squads, maybe even a trio, but not much more than that. We'll still get variety.

There's even plenty of room to have variety around a single epic.


No reason not to let people's creativity run wild in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:22 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 am
Posts: 328
My thinking is that we will probably let people choose their epic to build around. Also I'm thinking Mas Amedda will not count as a commander for this too, because in all reality it hurts the Empire and Republic to not have access to this ability at the cost of a CE. Republic moreso because they need 3 actual CE's to have a better shot at winning.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:12 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
spryguy1981 wrote:
My thinking is that we will probably let people choose their epic to build around. Also I'm thinking Mas Amedda will not count as a commander for this too, because in all reality it hurts the Empire and Republic to not have access to this ability at the cost of a CE. Republic moreso because they need 3 actual CE's to have a better shot at winning.



OK you lost me. When has Mas ever counted as a commander? He has no CE.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 pm
Posts: 3483
Quote:
Epic Skirmish
-- Your squad can be up to 500 points, having one selected Epic character, and with a maximum of 16 characters after Reinforcements, (although any pieces obtained through Reserves may increase this number), and up to 3 useable Commander Effects (you may have more than three characters with Commander Effects, but only three of them may be used, and they must be declared before the tournament begins). For this format, Mas Amedda and Bastila Shan, Jedi Master will count as characters with Commander Effects.



Since then. :P

_________________
"An elegant, easy-to-understand concept or mechanic that accomplishes 95% of what you want is much better than a clunky, obtuse mechanic that gets you 100%" - Rob Daviau

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:38 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Epic Skirmish
-- Your squad can be up to 500 points, having one selected Epic character, and with a maximum of 16 characters after Reinforcements, (although any pieces obtained through Reserves may increase this number), and up to 3 useable Commander Effects (you may have more than three characters with Commander Effects, but only three of them may be used, and they must be declared before the tournament begins). For this format, Mas Amedda and Bastila Shan, Jedi Master will count as characters with Commander Effects.



Since then. :P


Oh, missed that


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 8394
What are the events scheduled for this?

_________________
Click here to check out all the people who have realized the truth. Someday you will, too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:12 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Really hoping for a Royal Rumble


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield