logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Is there still a place for San Hill?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:31 pm 
General
General

I've never actually played a San Hill squad--but as I understand it, they mainly contain Fringe pieces (and possibly Aurra JH).

Assuming Ozzel is priced similarly to San, is there any reason to run a San squad with the pathetic Sep support rather than an Imperial squad with much better support?

Did Wizards not only ignore Seps this set but also practically eliminate the only competitive squad they had?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:39 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
They'll always have Aurra JH

Post subject: Re: Is there still a place for San Hill?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:47 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

shinja wrote:
Did Wizards not only ignore Seps this set but also practically eliminate the only competitive squad they had?

Unfortunately, that very well could be. Though I did play against a San squad with some good droids in it.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, the most competitive San squad that I am aware of was based around San, Aurra JH, and Boba BH. And I think at the 150 pt level that might still be viable. However, the tactic I used at GenCon to put pressure on my opponents won't be quite so viable anymore (namely, kill anything in gambit the first couple rounds, and move one of my pieces into gambit at the very end of the round, namely gaining an easy 10-15 point lead). Ozzel will make sure that doesn't happen easily (well, if his squad has any Accurate Shot in order to pick off my Grans in gambit).

At 200 points, San Hill was harder to run anyways, and I think this will definitely put him under. When you can run a squad that is Vader IC, Thrawn, Piett, Mas, Ozzel, and a crap load of Stormies, that's an awful of lot of decent shooting, ridiculously hard to kill, Opportunist shooting Stormtroopers. That's definitely going to be a tough one to tackle, and I don't think any San builds that I know of would fare to well against it. Maybe something with damage reduction and/or Missle/Grenade type abilities.

I guess we'll just have to see. I am a bit disappointed to see the Seps get shut down so hard. It's bad enough they didn't get any pieces in this set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:37 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i'd say this pretty much puts and end to San squads until they get something new.
A faction with almost auto init has stolen their best strategy. No only that but this faction can break movement like no other. The only defence that San squads ahd v B&B was that they could out activate them. Losing that advantage means that Vader can now swoop in on Boba and take him out. Same goes for Aurra. Depends on Ozzels cost somewhat but this is grave news for San Lovers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:07 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

NEVER!!!!

I wouldn't say it is completely obsolete. Like everything, it has to evolve. I would wait until all the figs are revealed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
NEVER!!!!

I wouldn't say it is completely obsolete. Like everything, it has to evolve. I would wait until all the figs are revealed.

Such as?

The Muun Tactic Broker? Imagine if it was 5 points and had opportunist?!

Oh wait... You can get that with a Stormtrooper on the Imps. +11 for 20 damage is darn good. San didn't get replaced he just got demolished. (sorry to say that, but Thrawn, Ozz and Piett with hordes of troopers is going to be tough to beat.)

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yup, and you are paying what, 65 points for that? I am not blind to the Imperials synergy. Just because it may be easier to build for the Imps, does not mean San is dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:58 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
Yup, and you are paying what, 65 points for that? I am not blind to the Imperials synergy. Just because it may be easier to build for the Imps, does not mean San is dead.

San has 1 character that he abuses that can only be in his squad. Aurra JH. I'd rather build with Imps then with one piece any day.

The problem is that Imps have the same access to anything that is great with San minus that Aurra. Throw in Opportunist troops, Vader, movement breaking etc and I don't see why anyone would play San.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Because you are paying for those benefits? Perhaps a return to the droid varients might be in order. I have done decent with Durge and Droids. Perhaps for the greater, top teir meta, it might be reasonable to write him off, but I don't see me changing things too much.

And with San, I can get different things for the 65 points you are paying for Thrawn, Mas, and Piett. Oppurtunist may have been the original name I used, but it has never been the main focus of the squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:51 pm 
General
General

Dun Dun Dun, another competitive faction bites the dust.

Soon it will just be Rebels, Republic and Imperials ... oh wait, it always has been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:12 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

emr131 wrote:
Dun Dun Dun, another competitive faction bites the dust.

Soon it will just be Rebels, Republic and Imperials ... oh wait, it always has been.

The meta has not just been Rebels, Republic and Imperials the whole time, the Separatists with san hill were up there too, of coarse now its been knocked down a few pegs. But the Sith faction still has a chance to get up to the meta with Revan. The Rebels weren't always the top faction either. Though you're right that the Republic and Empire have been top tier for pretty much every set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Boba Bh is still a huge advantage that San Hill squads still have. Boba's flamethrower and Aurra's blaster barrage are still good weapons against stormie swarms. Those two are quite able to destroy stormtroopers easily, but if you opponent plays intelligently, you will be on the losing side.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:40 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

SirStevee wrote:
Boba Bh is still a huge advantage that San Hill squads still have. Boba's flamethrower and Aurra's blaster barrage are still good weapons against stormie swarms. Those two are quite able to destroy stormtroopers easily, but if you opponent plays intelligently, you will be on the losing side.

blaster barrage won't work that well, for one it won't be easy to kill stormies that are boosted by Vader IC, those stormies have high def and aurra doesn't have accurate, if all of those stormies are in cover, she can only attack 1 or 2 of them at the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You can be surprised how well Blaster Barrage can be. Granted, it won't be often. And really, once we start going into 100+ pts of commanders, San starts having the advantage. And, you know, with the Proxy revelation, i have a feeling that San won't be that left out when facing Ozzel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Sithborg wrote:
You can be surprised how well Blaster Barrage can be. Granted, it won't be often. And really, once we start going into 100+ pts of commanders, San starts having the advantage. And, you know, with the Proxy revelation, i have a feeling that San won't be that left out when facing Ozzel...

I disagree with Proxy being a counter, if you switch in Vader IC and get within 6 of proxy I could see that as a counter, but if you just shoot at proxy with stormies, then proxy would probably fall quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

No, no, no. Proxy isn't a counter at all. However, his design leads me to guess what the Tactics Broker might have. Which could be quite nice against certain squads, like the Ozzel vs San matchup. Just random speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:58 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Fool wrote:
Wait a second. I just thought of sometihng.

If your'e playing san and your opponent, the Tactics Broker you get Reserves if he uses him!

Yeah, San is a good counter to the tactics broker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:59 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Exactly. San works well against the tactics broker and with the tactics broker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:02 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think San Hill squads will evolve with this set, because of all the intresting fringe being added. Ozzel weakens San, but I think it is still a viable squad after the release.