All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jedi1972 wrote:
I was also thinking, "Yoke!" :D

Do we need a poll for this? 1 Vote so far :)

Looks like he's going to work out to be a finesse piece and a good counter to a lot of squads. 70 is expensive though so 150 will have to be a creative build. He'll almost never get hit and almost always do 40 damage a round. Not bad at all; he should be the last to drop every game....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:02 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Sithdragon13 wrote:
Actually, mettle does stack, so that may be very good with this Luke. As hard as it is to roll a reflect save, it may very well be what makes him playable. Not to mention Luke/Yoda can defense against anyone trying to cancel out Obi.

I didn't think of either of those. Wow!

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:41 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I've been thinking of a squad using L&Y for 200, although to be honest, I haven't completely figured out what to use in the last 39 points.

L&Y 70
Princess Leia 20
Juno Eclipse 8
Obi-Wan FS 8
Kazdan Paratus 55

I'm considering going with Han ST, Han RH, Ackbar, or maybe Chewie RH.

Of course, if Kota's CE didn't have the Fringe restriction for Followers, I'd probably run him instead of Kazdan, but the basic idea is that Obi-Wan hooks up with L&Y, who using Leia's CE tears through the enemy. Meanwhile, Kazdan is bringing in a %#$@ load of droids, such as the BGD/Junk Golem/Destroyer Droid/Medical Droid, and having them back up L&Y and putting a Droid Mark on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'd recommend going with either Ackbar or a Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun then, so you get the Recon.

Luke is definitely going to be an interesting piece, as I don't really see squads being built around him, per se. He's not really a center-piece, like Exar Kun. He's more like just one piece of the pie, and each of the pie pieces are about equal, and all are needed to complete the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:15 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

with Y/L the biggest concern for these dudes are JH Vader and Thrawn.

Thrawn + Lord Vader is not a big deal to these guys. Lord Vader gets essentially the same dmg output due to massive force defence and as soon as these guys get within 18 movement of Thrawn he's dead (run in, twin and thrawn is now stuck barring any rolls below 5 while in the bubble).

These two are a great addition to the competitive meta and put a big hampering on LV B&B.

However, JH B&B is not so hampered. One swap and init and these guys are toast. So if the maps do change JH B&B rises back to the top.
This is good because JH B&B was more manageable for a lot of other teams. Not many teams could deal with the all out force onslaught that LV B&B brought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:38 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I'm inclined to agree about JH B&B. The only real counter to that for a L&Y squad would be the MTB or Han Rogue, although what I'm considering involves BGD and healers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Obi Wan, RS or Obi-Wan, Unleashed might be a better choice than Force Spirit.

Obi can lead the way and can lay waste before he dies and then give Loda a bunch of FP, which is exactly what they want.

Throw in Han, Rogue, and B&B isn't as scary.

I played my first try at a Revan/Aurra squad against that and was toasted.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The only problem with both Obi-Wan, RS&FU and Obi-Wan FS is that their FS abilities aren't fully utilized by L&Y. RS&FU will give L&Y 8 FPs, but they won't be able to get the Master of the Force benefit. With FS, they don't gain the benefit of Force Renewel, but they do get Mettle. Since L&Y can quickly build up their own supply of FPs, for their personal benefit, I think the Mettle provided by FS is a better buy, plus it's cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

No, L&Y would be able to spend Force Points 4 times per turn if they were the recipient of Force Spirit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think he is too much of a defensive piece (and too expensive) to be great. Yeah, FR 3! Yeah, MotF 3! But only two attacks (twin)? Def 20? Yeah, not bad. Reflect? Doesn't help against Sith. Lots of cool abilities and a great annoyance/support piece, but IMHO not for 70 points. But that's also not really my play style - heck, I only use YodaoD for his battery!

I'd rather run Luke, HPU (my college!) and Obi-Wan (RS or TFU). Push 4 is awesome IMO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

LoboStele wrote:
No, L&Y would be able to spend Force Points 4 times per turn if they were the recipient of Force Spirit.

Looking over the rules again, it would appear you're correct, you just couldn't stack the effect with both Yoda and Ob-Wan. Though I still think a +4 to various rolls would be quite useful, especially for Reflect and rerolling attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:17 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Quick question, for the sake of damage reduction, is Loda considered to have a lightsaber?

Also, for what it's worth, I played in a sactioned 200 point tourney last weekend using JH B&B. Faced Loda with Obi Unleashed. When they don't win iniative, Loda loses a ton of power. Stun is useless if Jedi Hunter already slammed them for 90 damage. Thus Thrawn/JH Vader asbolutely stomped Loda first, then finished off Obi and the rest of the squad quickly.

So is he competetive? Well the person I faced was 2-0 at the time, so they obviously won a few games, but when they ran into a meta (at least one of the meta), they went down quick. Not sure how they would fare against other meta squads, but to Loda, JH B&B almost acts as a hate squad.

My two cents.

Last edited by Admiral Ace on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:19 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Admiral Ace wrote:
Quick question, for the sake of damage reduction, is Loda considered to have a lightsaber?

Loda has a lightsaber force ability, so he does have lightsaber to use against DR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:23 am 

Thanks Engineer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:26 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Admiral Ace wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, I played in a sactioned 200 point tourney last weekend using JH B&B. Faced Loda with Obi Unleashed. When they don't win iniative, Loda loses a ton of power. Stun is useless if Jedi Hunter already slammed them for 90 damage. Thus Thrawn/JH Vader asbolutely stomped Loda first, then finished off Obi and the rest of the squad quickly.

So is he competetive? Well the person I faced was 2-0 at the time, so they obviously won a few games, but when they ran into a meta (at least one of the meta), they went down quick. Not sure how they would fare against other meta squads, but to Loda, JH B&B almost acts as a hate squad.

My two cents.

Loda with Juno/R2-P0 can really be strong against LV and JH B&B. At least one disruptive character seems like a must in a rebel squad.

Grambo wrote:
the best defense is a dead opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

sixfootoneder wrote:
At least one disruptive character seems like a must in a rebel squad.

Disruptive nerfs so many squad tricks (Ithorian commander, nom Bombs, SS).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:47 am 

I agree disruptive is a huge help, but a good B&B player will target that disruptive piece for removal quickly.

More importantly, even if it takes JH Vader personally making his way across the board to base Loda at the end of the round, he's still going to win intiative with Thrawn and put 90 damage on. Sure, Loda can then do the force push, but JH is coming back to do it again because Thrawn will keep winning the initiative. Base Loda at the end of a round twice and he's dead, regardless of disruptive. Vader's the one who does the dirty work, but it's Thrawn's initiative control that kills them. The biggest plus to having that disruptive is that Loda will put some hurt on Vader before he finishes them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:02 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Admiral Ace wrote:

My two cents.

You faced an inferior build imo - even though I dont know what was in it besides obi and loda.

Quite simply, Loda needs Han Rogue, Princess Leia, Rauntaun, and disruptive (either juno or R2PO).

Loda hangs back, and Han shoots stormies if he can with help from Leia. R2PO prevents the swap in triple at least, and can set up draw fire should he lose init. So lets set it up like so.

If Loda allows Vader to swap, move to base and atk Loda hes in trouble. If he can force the swap, and move to base, he is fine.

1) Vader swaps and gets one atk (disruptive should always prevent Vader JH from swap triples). Loda at 120hps (alter is pointless). Loda loses init, Vader triples, barring a 1, Loda is at 30 - cannot take AoO - unless Draw Fire took at least one hit. If Loda wins init (NTMTOs and Recon, PL gives him atks. Then he stuns, atks and takes the AoO. Loda still at 120hps and Vader likely down to half and cannot swap away. Next init, repeat if won, no big deal if lost (since nothing based with Vader, and he is in disruptive's range.

2) If Vader has to run to base after a swap - same as above, but winning the next init is not so critical for Loda.

3) Thrawn runs offensively with Vader to try and nerf Loda's force use. Ignore Vader and kill thrawn as soon as he is within 12 of Loda. (Loda run up to 12, base and twin. Need 5s for 40. Princess Leia runs behind and grants another twin, first does 30 needing a 2, second needs a 5 to kill. Once thrawn is down, play cat and mouse with Vader. Never base, just use push and stuns if possible.

Moral of the story, your opponent didnt have a good build. Loda is an ok piece in most players hands. He will only shine in the people who can max out his possibilities. Vader JH B&B only works if your opponent has allowed you the opportunity to do so by being unprepared with their build. Han Rogue and disruptive are almost auto includes for Loda. Not jsut for thrawn either, its to help with inits overall.

And before I forget to mention it, odds are Obi has gotten himself killed taking out stormtroopers, chasing thrawn, etc ealier in the game. So Loda has MotF4 as well as a ton of fps.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29